Species system

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Species system

Post by Soh Raun »

It was already suggested to have species-specific abilities such as breathing underwater for amphibian species.

If you like this idea, please reply to this thread to give more ideas for other species.

Already suggested:
Arikakon Genkal wrote:Well, if we're going to do all the species I can think of that people will *probably* pick:
Ithorian-Slightly improved Force Regen (they are the most Force-sensitive species)
Aquar, Nautolan, Mon Calamari, Falleen-Water breathing
Wookiee-Slightly stronger (possible?)
Miraluka, Lorrdian-Start with Sense 1 (once more, possible?)
Trandoshan, Kushibah-Slightly higher melee damage (possible? again)
Bothan-Slightly faster (do I need to say it? possible?)
Just suggestions, but I'm pretty sure that they fit the species alright.
Larkit wrote:Being (as far as I know) the only Kushiban right now, I would say their advantage should not have something to do with higher damage, as they were not known for being the greatest among fighters.
You could say that due to their "claws", they should, but I highly doubt they were much sharper than a rabbits, as the Kushiban were native farmers and weavers, and didn't need those "sharp" claws. Besides, it doesn't really look like nasty, sharp ones on this picture:
While often mistaken for cute pets, they were actually intelligent beings with a complex culture as well as both a written and spoken language. They mastered fire (used to frighten away hostile, fire-fearing xinkras) and used technology. Rather than paws, they had hands with opposable thumbs and feet.
I'd say something to do with fire, if that's possible.
Alkaiser
Lost One

Post by Alkaiser »

Alkaiser Aruladan wrote:Overall, I think that species changes would probably have to be coded via accounts, rather than classification. To me, it sounds like alot of excess, something that would be a very low priority.

Plus, on the matter of damage dealing and receiving, wouldn't larger species (wookiee, trandoshan, nautolan) be able to take more damage, and smaller species (kushiban, bothan, ewok) would take significantly less, considering their stature?

Personally I wouldn't really like the increased difference among us, its already broken down into classes, scale size and whatnot. I think species attributes would be a little TOO much, because people tend to be nit-picky and argumentative over such things ("Why does he get to do more damage and *I* don't?"), and I could see people picking species depending on their attributes rather than creativity and roleplay purposes.
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

A few suggestions:

Wookieepedia - Cerean wrote: Their enlarged skulls [...] housed complex binary brains, provided with sufficient blood by an extra heart in their heads. The binary structure of Cerean thinking helped them to ponder two sides of an issue at once.
---
Though the quick-thinking Cereans had equally quick reflexes, they were commonly not as well coordinated as Humans.
Faster/larger XP gain, slower movement speed than usual.

Wookieepedia - Ithorian wrote: Ithorian Jedi could also create devastating shock waves with a combination of the Force and their four throats. They blew out air with extreme power, enough to destroy walls and shatter iron.
Force Push on level 5 available, no matter the class. (Perhaps also the charged 360° version, once available.)

Wookieepedia - Kel Dor wrote: The Kel Dor also had heightened reflexes, a result of extra-sensory organs in their heads. As a species, they were thought to be typically quick and wise, but of a weaker constitution, when compared to other species.
Starting with Speed level 1. Decreased max. HP.

Wookieepedia - Gamorrean wrote: Gamorreans were typically green-skinned with a large powerful physique, and were known to be fierce warriors prized for their great strength and brutality in combat.
Stronger - increased melee damage (punches, kicks, grapples). Starting with Force Fury level 1.

Wookieepedia - Zabrak wrote: Many inner physical differences existed between Zabraks and Humans, including the Zabraks' two hearts. Both muscles worked together to supply blood to an individual's limbs and organs.
Faster HP regeneration. Perhaps even when walking and/or crouching around.

Wookieepedia - Gungan wrote: The Gungans were an amphibious humanoid [...].
Starting life as tadpoles, Gungans developed into tall beings with extremely flexible cartilaginous skeletons[...].
Strong leg muscles [...] aided them in swimming [...].
Gungans had nostrils that sealed when they entered the water. [...] along with well-padded kneecaps and powerful calves and legs for increased swimming speed.
Can breathe underwater. Can swim faster than usual. Starting with Force Jump level 1 (strong leg muscles).

Gungans wrote: However, because they were so well-adapted to their watery environment, their skin dried easily in hot and arid climates.
Perhaps a feature which - added to the /rpweather command - drains a set amount of HP when in particular weather areas. For example 1 HP drain every 5 or so seconds when there is a rather dry weather, such as a sand storm.
Halt Arratay

Post by Halt Arratay »

For Wookiees, more hp, they could take many blaster shots before dieing, more melee damage, as they could tear apart droids with their bare hands.
Perhaps slower than as they were very big.

And I don't know if you can do this but they lung capacity must have been huge, so maybe holding their breath longer?

Yes I am wookiee biased, but everything I say is true.
:D
Lynee'alin
Exiled

Post by Lynee'alin »

Usually none of those "standard" races (Human, Wookiee, Twi'lek, Rodian, Zabrak, etc.) would be able to survive a straight blaster shot to the bare chest or belly.
Alkaiser
Lost One

Post by Alkaiser »

Lynee'alin wrote:Usually none of those "standard" races (Human, Wookiee, Twi'lek, Rodian, Zabrak, etc.) would be able to survive a straight blaster shot to the bare chest or belly.
Agreed

Only those species with exceptionally thick hides/skin/scales can withstand blaster shots (as typically noted in their descriptions), which typically aren't species which have models for JKA.
Galack Alastair
Lost One

Post by Galack Alastair »

Being the only Clawdite... Once my char comes into older ages and learns how to shapeshift at will... I would think it only be right if I was able to, when I changed, pick up the species bonuses / negatives that come with it.
Just an idea.
Halt Arratay

Post by Halt Arratay »

Lynee'alin wrote:Usually none of those "standard" races (Human, Wookiee, Twi'lek, Rodian, Zabrak, etc.) would be able to survive a straight blaster shot to the bare chest or belly.
Yes actually, you're right. But maybe something to do with Rage? maybe a sorta force power? I don't know just suggestions, but I did say I was biased. :D

And for Galack, even though you can shape shift, I didn't think you could turn into, say, a rancor, and if you shifted into a Zabrak, you wouldn't pick up an extra heart would you?
Samoon Chooga
Lost One

Post by Samoon Chooga »

Halt Arratay wrote:
Yes actually, you're right. But maybe something to do with Rage? maybe a sorta force power? I don't know just suggestions, but I did say I was biased. :D

And for Galack, even though you can shape shift, I didn't think you could turn into, say, a rancor, and if you shifted into a Zabrak, you wouldn't pick up an extra heart would you?
He wouldn't pick up an extra heart. He would just be forming. As for the rancor, I highly doubt that's possible to form into. But, I may be wrong.
Alkaiser
Lost One

Post by Alkaiser »

WP's Clawdite page wrote:Clawdites could change their appearance, if they kept body mass as a constant and didn't retain the same aspect for a long time. However, some Clawdites were able to change their mass, such as Zam Wesell and Nuri, although it was an extremely rare skill.
For the rancor idea, it would involve porting the model to a playable version, which may not be possible due to bone structure of the model.
Lynee'alin wrote:if you shifted into a Zabrak, you wouldn't pick up an extra heart would you?
I would think that Clawdites would only be able to alter their appearance, and not necessarily their biology. Because I highly doubt that as a species they would have genetic knowledge to innately be able to change the contents of their insides.
As noted here:
Rolsat Noviee's WP page wrote:Rolsat "Rolstone" Noviee was a Clawdite that for nine standard years posed as a Lannik for the Pugil team, the New Osler Flejj Beasts. Due to a random blood test in 22 BBY, he was revealed and immediately fled from the planet Lannik. Until his blood test, he was the highest scoring and highest paid player in Lannik history.
Geth'tee

Post by Geth'tee »

I know of a certain map that you can ride a rancor and you can make it attack and move just not jump. Maybe you could use that model, but I doubt it could hold a lightsaber.
Last edited by Geth'tee on Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galack Alastair
Lost One

Post by Galack Alastair »

Alkaiser pretty much said anything I would have... thanks buddy. :wink:
Cyril Feraan
Lost One

Post by Cyril Feraan »

It is a neat idea to have species specific attributes, however, from reading this thread already I see how complicated it could get. I too agree that it is certainly liable to no end of complaints.

For example, already model sizes vary, consulars/guardians/sentinels have different hp/force pools, and xp gives increasing abilities. To add species abilities too...I cannot be sure if this would be an advancement or not.

If implemented somehow successfully, it would add something new and perhaps be a good thing, I don't know: I am just not certain of the necessity.

I'd like to hear more about how it would be implemented first.
HKS-001

Post by HKS-001 »

me being a droid and all i suppose alot of things may apply to me for various reasons
"statement:i am not a killing macine though that is a part of my base programming and i refuse to be refered to as such"
-HKS-001 to various humanoids
"statement:give me one good reason that i should not wring your neck,meatbag"
-HKS-001 to a cop
Katsaguro

Post by Katsaguro »

in my opinion, with the already varied stats and sizes, their shouldnt be species bonus's, that would cause too much char creation to get specifically what they wanted. ex. an ithorian consular for complete force ownage.
a wookie guardian for highest damage and health, etc.
bothan's would max force speed so they could use hit and run tactics with their amped up speed...

people would use the species to gain an unfair advantage over other characters with perhaps even the same class and level.