Solo Game with RPMod Launcher Installed Crashing

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Solo Game with RPMod Launcher Installed Crashing

Post by Syrena Exan »

I recently reinstalled JKA, and it worked fine. After installing RPMod with the new launcher (my first time using it before now) I can no longer launch a solo multiplayer round. The game crashes with a generic 'Stopped Working' message. It continues to do this after removing the command set in launch properties (I use Steam), after removing any vehicles, and after removing everything beyond core RPMod installation files. Removing RPMod does fix it. Has anyone else using the Steam version had this issue, and if so, how did you fix it?

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Re: Solo Game with RPMod Launcher Installed Crashing

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

If you have any RPmod assets such as animations in base they clash with base, so make sure you move them to a sub folder before launching, for example I keep all important stuff I'm NOT using at the time in a folder called 'test' (don't ask why it's called that.) which is inside my base folder.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

I recommend moving all RPmod assets to the GameData folder equivalent in your Documents folder on Windows; into the "rpmod" folder there.

You have to move the RPMod-Animations.pk3 into your actual GameData/base though for the emote animations to work.

I don't use the launcher -- other than for updates, there's no need, really. Whenever you join an RPmod server, the game will automatically load the assets from the "rpmod" folder in Documents, and this way you can leave your base game clean and free of any modifications -- other than the animations file, which doesn't seem to affect the game outside of an RPmod server.

Edit: If you have an older, retail version of Jedi Academy, you may not have anything like that in your Documents folder. (I use OpenJK.) You can still find it instead in an invisible Windows folder called VirtualStore in your Home folder.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I don't actually use the launcher to join. It doesn't work that way through Steam. It's more that it's only had this problem since installing that particular version of RPMod. It sounds like I'll just have to move everything RPMod related out when I want to join my own session.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Are your RPmod assets/files located in the GameData/rpmod folder (next to the "base" folder)?
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

They are, yes, as that's where they're meant to be installed.

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

What files do you have in base? Certain maps like Kamino cause the game to fail to launch due to what is in them.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

The only maps I currently have are the 3 base maps for the 3 servers. The rest are all JEDI skins, and a console and status bar mod. These didn't conflict with the game or RPMod in previous versions.

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Can you move these to the GameData/rpmod folder and give it a try?

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

Oh, it works without RPMod installed. I just found it odd, as before I never used to have to remove RPMod data to load up a game, so long as I removed the string from the launch properties in Steam. It would load without the mod no problem. Now it doesn't seem to be so.

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

No, that's not what I mean.

Sometimes having files scattered across the rpmod and base folders can cause a conflict/crash.

Make a copy of your current rpmod and base folders if you can, and then move all JEDI related PK3s from base into the rpmod folder. Then try to log into the server. You'll see it'll load all of them just as if they were in base.

The benefit now is that your base folder is clean and free to function proper for the default/base game.

Edit: 90% of all Jedi Academy game-load related crashes are due to third party file conflicts in the "base" folder. It really pays off to keep the base clean, and separate your advanced mods from the default game using their folders.

Bo Iiln
Lost One

Post by Bo Iiln »

Are you using a custom resolution? I've had the same issue in the past and it was because of this.
Species: Kel Dor | Age: 40's | Initiated: 307 ABY |
Knighted: 325 ABY | Mentor: Raloran Mulloc | Padawan: Evanin Dawnstar_Xel Damar_Maia Rimora_Durindfire
Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

Bo Iiln wrote:Are you using a custom resolution? I've had the same issue in the past and it was because of this.
My initial thought was the same, but isn't that relevant only to certain versions of OpenJK? Or is the retail game guilty of this quirk, too?

Regardless, Bo has a great point. Try changing the resolution to one of the defaults and see if you can load "Solo" game mode in MP without crashing.

Bo Iiln
Lost One

Post by Bo Iiln »

Cerez Kay wrote:
Bo Iiln wrote:Are you using a custom resolution? I've had the same issue in the past and it was because of this.
My initial thought was the same, but isn't that relevant only to certain versions of OpenJK? Or is the retail game guilty of this quirk, too?

Regardless, Bo has a great point. Try changing the resolution to one of the defaults and see if you can load "Solo" game mode in MP without crashing.
From my understanding, base doesn't support custom resolutions. I could be wrong.

Zander and Nico helped me figure it out when I had the issue.
Species: Kel Dor | Age: 40's | Initiated: 307 ABY |
Knighted: 325 ABY | Mentor: Raloran Mulloc | Padawan: Evanin Dawnstar_Xel Damar_Maia Rimora_Durindfire
Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

That may be it then. I am using a custom resolution. Well if that's the case, I won't fiddle with it. I'd rather have my resolution than sometimes load a solo session. Thanks for the input!