Unplayable Graphic Lag

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Rian Vun
Lost One

Unplayable Graphic Lag

Post by Rian Vun »

At some point my JKA began giving me the weird texture glitch that is common with ATI graphics cards (mine is onboard), and so I installed this fix and the problem mostly went away. However, I'm still experiencing extreme graphic lag to the point that the game has become unplayable due to skipping animations when entering rooms, sound clogging up and repeating whilst my computer struggles to process new information, and so forth.

So I am wondering if any of you out there who are far more capable than I, could help me find a solution? I simply cannot enjoy logging on (when I can) when I spend 20 seconds per minute hearing the last 2 seconds of music loop over as the graphics lag constantly.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer! <3

Motoko
Lost One

Re: Unplayable Graphic Lag

Post by Motoko »

Can you post a Dxdiag list?
Joran Fordo

Post by Joran Fordo »

Actually I have the same problem (lagging when entering other rooms, etc.), but the lag itself isn't that bad (it lasts for 10 seconds maximum). Maybe because I have a better hardware cofiguration.

I don't know exactly, what the problem could be, but I'm sure that WE (ATi users) ARE CURSED WITH THIS! :(
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Rui and I have had a similar problem whilst running Xfire and other programs when jumping into JKA/Rpmod. I don't know why it happens but what are you running during start up of JKA?

Our fix was pretty straight forward, run JKA on it's own. Yours could be an entirely different issue but I thought just in case, I'd post this. Hopefully it's only a small issue.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I sometimes get a graphic issue when entering into the Alzoc 3 Capital map, though once in game it becomes a bit more steady. Though I play in a window mode and tend to have MSN, along with the internet, so if your the same it could be affecting your FPS rating over the whole PC which makes it lag.

Other than that, I can only think of a driver update? Maybe... I don't know...

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Zelai Kol'iva
Lost One

Post by Zelai Kol'iva »

I had the exact same issue. It took me a very long time to figure out how to solve it, however after some research here and there I managed to find out the problem. I will just give you a heads up that it won't be anything to do with your graphics ingame. I thought it was when I started messing about seeing if I could find a fix. The only reason how I found it was because when I switched from Very High to Low, I notice the lag/fps drops and problems vanish. So I put it back to Very High and wen't through each command and here is what I got.

It is to do with the resolution of the game. The game has problems if the resolution is higher than 800x600. Especially when your resolution is larger. I am not sure why it happens but what I did was lower it back down to 800x600 ingame, and it ran smoothly. FPS hitting around 100's. Although the fix might be different for everyone, however this is what solved the following:

* FPS drops when entering an room or near waterfalls.
* Extreme frame/lag for 10 seconds every now and then.
* The sound issues that would occasionally occur.

I recommend giving it a shot and see what happens. I know many would give the comment ''Why add the resolutions if it isn't compatible'' which is exactly what I asked myself. However it could be different for others. I play on a large monitor that is double the size the resolutions it gives me ingame. So it may of had problems with stretching of effects and graphics. But we got to remember that JKA is quite a old game, and so isn't suited for most of the top-notch computers out there.

Anyway, give this a shot and let me know how it goes. :wink:
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

I play at a high and custom resolution (something like 1600x900) on a pretty modern PC without any issue, but I have a NVIDIA graphics card. Not sure if this only affects ATI/AMD ones.

Now I may be stating the obvious, but the engine freezes when loading models/skins from disk (no background loading with multithreading :(). There is a setting in the menus, I think, to prevent models from being loaded as soon as other players change them; instead they will only load when you display the scoreboard (usually with TAB).

The associated Cvar is cg_deferPlayers if I remember correctly, and there should also be a command to force loading models (/loaddefered or /loaddeferred - there is an official typo in the released game...). So you might want to look at this too if you didn't already and if the rest doesn't work. :)
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Soh Raun wrote:There is a setting in the menus, I think, to prevent models from being loaded as soon as other players change them; instead they will only load when you display the scoreboard (usually with TAB).
Indeed, under 'Setup -> Game Options' there's an option labelled 'Defer Player Models,' where new skins will only be loaded after you die or press TAB, as already mentioned.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Another possible solution is to go to options and turn off vsync I think it is, to stop the FPS synchronizing with monitor refresh, I think thats the right one anyway, I know one of them is related to monitor refresh which can slow the game down when enabled :/.
Ellana

Post by Ellana »

I have an ATI/AMD card. I don't have such problems.
Roahu
Lost One

Post by Roahu »

It's always good to check dynamic glow. Can you post your system specs? It may help us troubleshoot compatability.
Rash Loist
Lost One

Post by Rash Loist »

Ellana wrote:I have an ATI/AMD card. I don't have such problems.
ATI Readeon 5770, no issues besides the one of me having to rename the jkmp.exe to quake3.exe in order for the game to even run.