(( See you next cycle! Wait, what? ))

News and Discussions for visiting Galactic Citizens
Kih Bu
Lost One

(( See you next cycle! Wait, what? ))

Post by Kih Bu »

Since I first joined ::JEDI::, I've known the term cycle to be the equivalent of a real week. Whilst playing through some of my Star Wars games, I noticed one particular consistency that left me wondering, why do we use the term cycle instead of week? What do I mean? Well, all of the video game characters that have referenced the passing of time in the games I have played have used the term week, so I looked it up on good ol' Wookiee.
Galactic Standard Calender wrote:60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 hour
24 hours = 1 day
5 days = 1 week
7 weeks = 1 month
35 days = 1 month
368 days = 1 year
10 months + 3 festival weeks + 3 holidays = 1 year
  • Three festival weeks: New Year Fete Week, Festival of Life, Festival of Stars.
Days of the week wrote:
  • Primeday
  • Centaxday
  • Taungsday
  • Zhellday
  • Benduday
  • So there you have it. Time passes us by in weeks. If anyone is curious as to how planets with long rotations fit into this, well:

"The calendar was based on the size and rotation of the planet Coruscant."

-
JKHub | JEDI Videos | Files

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Re: (( See you next cycle! Wait, what? ))

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I know what Star Wars canon says, but Star Wars wasn't written for JKA Role Play communities. :P

There really is no way of bridging OOC and RP in this regard unless you want to change 1 RL Week = 1 RP Week.

Changing "Cycle" to "Week" means that in-character there are 4 weeks in a year and that's not right.

The way I always see it is:
1x Cycle = Season. (Spring, Summer, Autumn/Fall, Winter)
4x Seasons = 1 Year

I don't mind the term "Week" being used IC to describe an event that happened "Recently but not yesterday" but I would rather time lapses be blurred as a Suspension of Disbelief.
Sometimes you just have to try not explain things and leave it up to the imagination.
Days of the week wrote:
  • Primeday
  • Centaxday
  • Taungsday
  • Zhellday
  • Benduday
Note that there are 5 days there, not 7. That would just confuse things more unless we came up with our own names for Saturday and Sunday.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Oh, I completely agree what the entire thing is unsuitable for our role-play! I'd only intended to compare the term cycle with week, though it seemed meaningless without including all of the other information alongside it. This poses an interesting question, though: Should we bother coming up with names for the remaining two days of the week based on JEDI's on lore, or continue to ignore them completely in favour of our current system? I'd not mind being able to refer to actual days rather than "Alright, I'll see you all on (305).09"

-

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Well, in terms of classes, simply: See you next time, or somewhere in that region would suffice. Else, specific dates still work.
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I guess it's up to you!

Since we do have canonical names for Monday - Friday, I don't see any harm in saying: "See you on Centaxday" (Monday), but just expect a lot of PM's "What day is that? >_> lol".

It'll take some getting used to! :lol:

Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I guess it's up to you!

Since we do have canonical names for Monday - Friday, I don't see any harm in saying: "See you on Centaxday" (Monday), but just expect a lot of PM's "What day is that? >_> lol".

It'll take some getting used to! :lol:
Geez, on that subject, I'm still directing people to this thread. I'll stop when it gives me a headache. :P

-

i¯i▀▀▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך

Roahu
Lost One

Post by Roahu »

I think time passes too fast in our roleplay. I would be for half the current speed, but some have said that is hard to track as it's not as intuitive :D
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Roahu wrote:I think time passes too fast in our roleplay.
<3

But I won't get into that again!

Aris Lenko

Post by Aris Lenko »

To solve the whole extra two day things we could create two new days as suggested or perhaps extend the hours of the five in-game days so that they cover our 7 days?
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Let's not extend anything, as we all have perfect times in our head calculated to the GST time. For me, every hour on the server is six hours ago for me, without using AM-PM notation. I'm pretty sure others use it in the same way. It will be extremely difficult getting class times correct in that fashion.
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Amoné Fayden wrote:
Roahu wrote:I think time passes too fast in our roleplay.
<3

But I won't get into that again!

Haha someone doesn't like the fact that they're 30 years old. :P

I don't know though, isn't the timeline we have right now realistic to how many years it takes a student to go through training?
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Oberon wrote:I don't know though, isn't the timeline we have right now realistic to how many years it takes a student to go through training?
Roughly, yeah, you're very right. :)
Honestly, I don't see the reason for the possible change, we've been working with the way its been. However, I also don't see a reason why those who want to use those funky day names can't, its what they wish to use really.

The point is, as long as we know what we're talking about and we don't cause so much confusion by using two different terms, then there should be no harm ^.^
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

The term "cycle" has been both given to me as a an Ic Week, month and year...For the record, I'm still convinced it's a year, four seasons. A cycle is something that starts, ends and repeats if I'm not mistaken, so wouldn't that be a year, I've always wondered. I try to stray away from using the term in case I'm wrong like yesterday...So..Clarification would be very appreciated.

Does everyone agree with Amone or will I still get different answers lol.

Just asking on a very need to know basis.

With respect,

- Kieran.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Yeah, the way Amoné posted is the way it's been done.

Which will be cool because once we get onto a continental climate Enclave map (Sai's new one) we can pretty much have a different weather theme each week. Instead of... constant... unending... incessant... snowfall. :shock:
Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

From what I've seen, the roleplay of time has been very loose.. and trust me, if that wasn't the case, we'd have characters dying of old age in some cases already. I believe it's good to have some terms for telling the time and all that, but we shouldn't get too hooked on that; unless we really want to start dropping our characters when they come into an "old age".

I believe that we could use some overhaul of how the time passes in JEDI, but like Amone, I will not go into that... :shock:
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.