Hopefuls before JEDI?

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Galen Sol
Lost One

Hopefuls before JEDI?

Post by Galen Sol »

As every hopeful should know, the Padawans, Knights, and even Masters were hopefuls at one point too. The question that's been nagging me to post is this; What was it like when you all were hopefuls? Feel free to share your experiences, whether you're a Padawan, Knight, Master, or Councilor.
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Re: Hopefuls before JEDI?

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

I had a few other characters, unfortunately I was never able to get them initiated because I either lost interest, real life was getting in the way, or I was in love with another game.

When I switched over to Virtuo, I just kept saying "Ok, just give it another shot, just stick with it, when you start losing hope with being initiated, keep on going.. Eventually it happened and I was all "PHEW!".

That's my story. :mrgreen:
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

Hell.
Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

I actually really like this post...

My hopeful/initiate days were some of the best times I had in JEDI. Mind you it is only two years ago now and there are some here I would guess don't even remember what it was like to be a hopeful, and I was playing a different character.

I still recall some of my best memories in JEDI as Rui, was with the seven other hopefuls that were about at the time. Breaking the 'no running through the halls' rule and killing imaginary space wampas. As hopefuls back then, we were never bored. There weren't that many classes being held at the time so we made our own fun. Talking, making up games, forming friendships that would go on into our student lives.

Unfortunately, out of the seven hopefuls that were initiated (Rui, Saos, Zelai, Rian, Aria, Jade, and Wynne) a day apart, Rui was the only character to make it into Knighthood.

If I can stress anything to the influx of hopefuls we have at the moment? Don't concern yourself overly with the IC learning of the Jedi and the force, sure you need to somewhat but that comes in your student years. I was initiated by just being able to recite the code, Rui knew nothing else as a character.

Enjoy your hopeful days making up games and just going back to being kids. The best thing at this stage is to forge friendships with the other people at your stage as they are the ones you will be making memories with during your time with JEDI.

Final side-note; Nobody likes a know-it-all hopeful either, if a knight or even a student is telling you something oocly, be respectful and understand they're in that role for a reason.

Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

I've been a hopeful with two of my previous characters (Saos Nartu/Arukh Bakh'tor) and they were the funnest experiences I've had in JEDI. I came into JEDI as Silas as a transfer, and I regret the time I didn't get to merge into the student body as a hopeful and Initiate.

I remember grouping up with fellow hopefuls to cause mischief. We were calling the helmet crew, running around headbutting people with our youngling skins. Running around the halls with Rui pretending to shoot at eachother with fake guns. Doing the 'why' routine when asking questions. We would play games, eat candy and make fun of the grown up people (Oberon, Tergos, Herenai, Nastajja and Amone). Being a hopeful is the only time you're allowed to be a cheeky little shithead; thrive off it! All your actions and decisions build into your characters personality can and will affect the future of your roleplay. This is the funnest and most valuable time of being in JEDI. I miss it a lot, and I envy those who have the chance to experience and thrive off it; but don't take the chance to.

Just remember that your character is your character, not you. If you're corrected by the Knight or Master body, don't take it personally. We're correcting the errors that may negatively impact your roleplay. Things like knowing about the Sith, Darth Revan, all the types of lightsabers, the relevance of colors. Be a kid! You need to come into this thinking you're a kid who just came from their home to a strange Temple in a distant planet. It's scary, but exciting. If you see someone using telekinesis and pushing and floating objects around, that should be the most magical thing you've ever seen.

Be naive, be innocent, be childish and be ignorant.

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

Wen was my first character in JEDI and I myself actually still remember being a hopeful seeing that it was not too long ago, pretty fun times I have to admit. Wen was really shy and scared to talk to others and socialize at first but that all went out the window when he started making friends, after that Wen became good friends with Keth and mind you we had tons of fun fooling around playing "King Of The Bridge" and hide and seek and Wen just basically being scared of the "Big Blue Monster" that lived in the archives on Alzoc three ((Thank you Jel'a :lol:))

The first thing I think I learned before I was initiated was meditation and the code, I really didn't want to get denied and be forced to make up another character so I tried my best to read up and study the rules before I even began rping on the server, it helped me a lot and I suggest all hopefuls to thoroughly look through them and read them, cause honestly the rules helped me the most especially coming up as a hopeful. Another thing is I never really worried about being initiated, never rushed it whatsoever I just role played and everything fell into place.
Last edited by Wen-Ordo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Saburine Eldahna
Lost One

Post by Saburine Eldahna »

Let's just say playing as my Princess char as a hopeful =] and even til today, she always has a place in :wub:

The third time around was very different :D with a pal!
"Lying is an attempt to connect our wishes&our fantasies about who we wish we were with what we're really like."

"There's zero correlation between being the best talker in the room&having the best ideas."

U won't find my experiences&life stories on the holonet.
"Biases are the stories we make up about people before we know who they actually are."
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Silas Vir'n wrote:I've been a hopeful with two of my previous characters (Saos Nartu/Arukh Bakh'tor) and they were the funnest experiences I've had in JEDI. I came into JEDI as Silas as a transfer, and I regret the time I didn't get to merge into the student body as a hopeful and Initiate.

I remember grouping up with fellow hopefuls to cause mischief. We were calling the helmet crew, running around headbutting people with our youngling skins. Running around the halls with Rui pretending to shoot at eachother with fake guns. Doing the 'why' routine when asking questions. We would play games, eat candy and make fun of the grown up people (Oberon, Tergos, Herenai, Nastajja and Amone). Being a hopeful is the only time you're allowed to be a cheeky little shithead; thrive off it! All your actions and decisions build into your characters personality can and will affect the future of your roleplay. This is the funnest and most valuable time of being in JEDI. I miss it a lot, and I envy those who have the chance to experience and thrive off it; but don't take the chance to.

Just remember that your character is your character, not you. If you're corrected by the Knight or Master body, don't take it personally. We're correcting the errors that may negatively impact your roleplay. Things like knowing about the Sith, Darth Revan, all the types of lightsabers, the relevance of colors. Be a kid! You need to come into this thinking you're a kid who just came from their home to a strange Temple in a distant planet. It's scary, but exciting. If you see someone using telekinesis and pushing and floating objects around, that should be the most magical thing you've ever seen.

Be naive, be innocent, be childish and be ignorant.
Couldn't have said it any better myself, Silas! :D

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Before Evanin I've run 3 other characters, Phillip, Elu Dako (Both of which never made it past hopeful because I was a pain in the rear, the third however: Skrassk, was an Initiate, sadly I was incapable of rp'in him effectively and was offered a deal by two of the council at the time (Sai/Syrena) with a final reroll, after 2 minors that I ultimately trashed out of boredom I took a break from JKA and returned as Evanin.

I think my first two characters allotted up to over a year as hopefuls (OOC) as I was never really told I should give up for the time being till something like 4/5 months into Elu.

I have to agree with Mo the hopeful stage in the old days (1-2 years ago) was hell, everything was extremely by the book and you couldn't blow your nose without permission =D I kid, but you were very limited on what you could do, back then punching a hologram like kids do on Yavin now was one of the seven deadly sins, I kind of still feel it is a good thing too, kids should be playing not punching unsuspecting holograms into nonexistence for the sake of enjoyment.

We do have a huge garden again now and plenty of other things, I know watching spars as a hopeful you get that deep seeded desire to one day be on that mat swinging but it is more hype than anything that isn't all it matches up to what you expected, I say this not with the desire to make some of the current hopefuls rethink applying.

Sometimes it can be easy to forget you're supposed to be a kid, that is ignorant of the force and all it's aspects till some old bald guy comes along and tells you "YOU CAN LIFT THIS WITH MAGIC IF YOU TRY HARD AND EAT YOUR VEGGIES!".

The hopeful period can drag at times, sometimes so much people start to go inactive as they find other interests returning say a few weeks later and all their friends have been initiated and they then become jealous or upset because they aren't too, I'll stop rambling about what it feels like and just say this:

Enjoy it, you're only a kid once.

Bonus Advice: If you don't make it first time, ask privately around for help and pointers, anyone and everyone here will want to try and help you, take some time away if needed to think it all over, identify where you went wrong and improve on it. If you KNOW where your faults lie, you will have an easier job correcting them. :)
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

Even though I'm no longer in JEDI, technically, I still fondly remember the days in JEDI & in fact, still lurk Holonet quite often, to see how JEDI is doing. Back, when I started; I was looking forward to full-experience of a Jedi, and JEDI was the place to find it, and gave me a way to make a complete character.

I guess, my biggest advice to any hopeful would be - remember, JEDI is about creating your characters' stories together, with others. I've seen people 'compete' for XP and all of that; and while it's a part of JEDI experience... it's just not everything - and in a way, your moments as a hopeful are purely what you make them. So make the best of them, explore your character, as well as characters of others. It's well-worth the ride. :)

~J.
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

Not only does JEDI get to reminisce about all the fun times they've had "growing up", it is also a good index of information that could be useful to new Hopefuls. Thank you very much to everyone who has posted here!
Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

It was a brilliant idea for a topic, Galen. Thank you for thinking of it!

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Tergos Zemnos
Lost One

Post by Tergos Zemnos »

I used to RP on JKA on the Xbox platform. It wasn't the most quality experience, in retrospect; but at the time, I thought it was the best thing ever. The community over Xbox Live dwindled and died, but I wanted to continue. I was thirteen, and using Google, I typed in "JKA RP Clan", (but with less grammar). I stumbled on JEDI and haven't turned back since.

It was... difficult to say the least. For one, I was thirteen, so I didn't know my ass from my head, let alone grammar. JEDI was and is huge on quality. I remember connecting to the JEDI server for the first time (first version of the Alzoc map). It was euphoric. I found the Star Wars experience every geek yearns for. I was overwhelmed, but I saw it more as a challenge, than something to cower in fear from.

I'm convinced my first biography is the most atrocious piece of writing to exist on the planet. Dialogue and actions were a struggle. At first, people took me as a joke, and I don't blame them. I bunny hopped, PM'd excessively, went AFK in the midst of RP (worse than now). I eventually caught on, thankfully, due to the aid of Jung, Will, and Andrew. Other people along the way, as well. Growing up IRL helped, too. And I had the best grammar in middle and early high school because of JEDI. God, grammar is drilled into your head here!

I have no idea how I got Initiated. I would turn myself away, if I were in the Knight's positions back then. Personally, I think it had something to do with the split (Lehon, yada, yada, yada), and JEDI needed more members. But hey, I'm not complaining!

Been here for more than four years. JEDI has its ups and downs, but still remains the most prestigious RP clan on JKA. I imagine it will be here for a long, long time.

Hope this helped!
Species: Human|Age: 50's| Initiated: 286.16|
Knighted: 310.28|Mentor: Sasha Raven_Delmi N'jork|Padawan: Arukh Bakh'tor_Xel Damar
Iffo Rav'i
Lost One

Post by Iffo Rav'i »

Sorry for the bump, but as someone who has just come out of the Hopeful phase, this thread was a really interesting read when I was applying and I also wanted to add something myself.

The one thing, as corny as it, that helped me more than anything through my hopeful period is that I genuinely care for my character. I know that seems like a ridiculously obvious thing to say, but I applied to JEDI many years ago and my application just fizzled out and looking back I don’t think I would ever have really made it. All I cared about was becoming a member and becoming the worlds best Jedi, which made my character very much a means to an end. I would of ditched him in a heartbeat if it meant I could join with another character. I just didn’t care about him and at times I actually got annoyed at my character for holding me back (which in hindsight, is ridiculous.. the character is me!).

The difference with Iffo is I care about about him. I remember thinking really early on that if Iffo didn’t get accepted because he wasn’t the right personality to become a Jedi, then it wouldn’t diminish his character in the slightest, I’d still remember him very fondly and even write some sort of ‘happily ever after’ text, even if only for my own eyes.

To any hopeful reading this now, don’t rush character creation, make use of the mentor system, talk your character through and be excited before you even step foot on the server. I think, when you’re dying to play as your character and don’t have one eye on the prize, then personally for me, you’re on to a winner.

Hopefully this has made some sort of sense.

Jedi Master | High Councillor | Advisor to the Galactic Senate
Born: 333.06 | Initiated: 342.08 | Knighted: 357.07 | Mastered: 388.18 | Died: 435.29
Mentors: Wrennin Vae // Chothi Uxaala // Maia Rimora | Padawan: Serir Vun // Tycho Varga

Cerez Kay
Lost One

Post by Cerez Kay »

What I can say from my recent personal experience is that being in the hopeful stage was really frustrating because I intended to role-play to the fullest and share stories and experiences with everyone, but I felt I was being left out in big part from the benefits and full feature access of being a JEDI member. I completed everything I was asked to do with my character in order to be accepted, I was really eager to get initiated, and the more the time went on waiting, the more in my frustration I just grew to accept that it may never happen, and that I'll most likely remain a guest role-player on this server and board forever -- and (a bit resentfully) I grew content with this fact, accepting that at least I'll get to enjoy role-playing with others to some extent on the server. By the time the initiation came, it completely caught me by surprise, and unprepared, and I was truly humbled and honoured by the ceremony.

The funny thing is now that I have been initiated, I have no big interest in furthering my character's skills and rank -- in fact quite the opposite. I wish to keep her a child for as long as it takes for her to grow into an adult, and develop her personality, knowledge, and skills gradually, step by step. Now that I can partake in the experience fully, I am eager to get as much of the story happening as possible, and enjoy interacting with the other characters. Rushing through the skills and ranks would be killing the adventure. So I'm taking the lessons as they come -- not even asking the senior members for them as long as there is something else to do and role-play on the server.

Growth and learning is inevitable in this scholar environment. So it actually pays off to focus instead on the experience, and enjoy all the stories fully -- by getting to know, participating, and contributing back as much as possible.

I've grown very fond of the real-time-paced JEDI gameplay, and while I still think we're a little cruel on newcomers/hopefuls, I do see how this actually works, and why it is important in order to understand the JEDI experience.
Homeworld: Coruscant (Level 1243) | Species: Pantoran | Age: 15 | Born: 329.02 | Initiated: 342.06 | Apprenticed: 343.02 | Mentor: Jel'a Vra

Inventory: Skimboard, Comlink, Datapad (Custom Modified), Training Lightsaber