Modelling/Skinning assistance (global topic)

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

Re: Modelling/Skinning assistance (global topic)

Post by Sirius Invictus »

Sorry to bother you all, i am having an issue setting up blender. While i have the import export add on, when i navigate to the folders with the skins i cant see any glm files :/ now probably i am doing something wrong, but i did exactly what the man with the tutorial series said ( the one you sent me Trin ). Does anyone have any ideas?
|| Name: Sirius Invictus || Species: Human || Homeworld: Vlemoth Port || Birth: 360.09 ABY || Initiation: 372.10 ABY || || Apprenticed: 373.09 ABY || Knighted: 384.30 ABY || Mastered: 410.13 ABY || Mentor: Delmi N'jork || Apprentices: Kiara O'ren, Rukia, Vale Sutherblaze ||
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Looks like you're using the open command instead of the import menu. You should find import jka glm model there (or something like that). If not, it means the addon isn't installed or not activated.

◄▌Name : Trin OnironAge : 42Birthdate : 345.19▐►
◄▌Homeplanet : NagiInitiated : 357.21Apprenticed : 358.22▐►
◄▌Mentor : Rehkea'sitra, Isane Fenris, Jerex Sol▐►◄▌Padawan : Kir Darnic▐►

Sirius Invictus
Lost One

You were correct in your assumption xD
|| Name: Sirius Invictus || Species: Human || Homeworld: Vlemoth Port || Birth: 360.09 ABY || Initiation: 372.10 ABY || || Apprenticed: 373.09 ABY || Knighted: 384.30 ABY || Mastered: 410.13 ABY || Mentor: Delmi N'jork || Apprentices: Kiara O'ren, Rukia, Vale Sutherblaze ||
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

So, I downloaded blender and the addon about JKA files.

i went ahead and download a skin that I wanted to put a new head on. The skin, being from JK2, had the wrong skeleton, but I imported the JK3 one to use. I cut the head I wanted and stuck it on the rest of the model (via the mechanism: 'parent to' of objects). At first the skin appeared headless in modview, so after trying around some things (seriously i have almost no idea what i am doing. I am doing what the know video tutorials say exactly, but i get a whole lot of different errors) I put the head on the body using the parent method again. SO, after i tried exporting it, it said that i should split meshes. after a whole lot of time trying to figure out what exactly it wanted, I think i bypassed it! But the error now reads cannot load r_leg...unweighted vertex. Which was something mentioned by Trin to possibly be the problem for the head in the first place. AFTER some more tweaking, selecting the vertex groups, and using ctrl+i inverting the selection, thus choosing the unweighted ones (some guy on the internet proposed thut ::shrugs::) I managed to bypass that error and now I get the same one for the other leg. To which this method is useless because the inverted selection yields no results. My eyes are about to burst from their sockets. Does *anyone* have an idea what is going wrong?

I know a lot of things may sound incoherent, but that's the way they sound inside my brain as well, I am doing my best to describe what happened, having zero experience with this. So sorry in advance, and thank you for your time!
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

I suppose the legs are from the jk2 model too ? In any case you could check if some vertex groups already exists in the vertex group tab on the right panel (a three point triangle thing). If groups already exists just rename it to the bone corresponding to the jka skeleton ones. If not you have to weight them by hand. To bypass the weight error I usually use anasty method by adding an unrelated bone to the vertex groups (like right foot for the head) and weight all the vertices with a very low value, like0.01 or less.

Zai Tak

Post by Zai Tak »

I wondered if anyone could help reduce the slimy 'texture' on my skin, maybe make it look more like my avatar and less like I've been swimming in oil.
Alsanna Imari
Lost One

Post by Alsanna Imari »

Hello there! Not really sure if this is the proper place to include this sort of request, so apologies in advance if I got it wrong. ^^; I'm posting this request since I had two small changes I'd potentially like to see in the future as my character gets older, which, to my knowledge, would require a bit of modeling, meaning I can't ask the same person who kindly customized all the colors and stuff for me to create my existing skin. I'm not in a huge rush, so time is no concern. I just figured I'd throw this out here and see if anyone would be willing to do it "for the art," as it were.

Change #1: Cloaked variant of base tunic skin. I was thinking something like the black cloak with the dark blue lining that comes with the Black and White Kyrios skinpack. Maybe with a gradient fade from black to white around the edges if you really wanna be fancy? I dunno. A variant with the hood raised would also be nice, but might be difficult to model, considering Alsanna's horns.

Change #2: Different hairstyle on all variants, since Alsanna wanted to have long hair, so I feel like a skin that reflects that would be nice. ^^ What I was thinking was basically kind of a longer, floofier version of the hairstyle she already has, with the twin braids and all. Sadly, I don't really have any good references, so I guess I'll just have to fall back on weeb-ery. Kind of like this, except colored like her hair is now, and with her horns sticking out beneath/between the bangs.

If anyone's interested in helping, I'd be much obliged. Thank you!

| Name - Alsanna "Alcy" Imari | Species - Zabrak/Human |
| Age - 15 | Date of Birth - 361.25 ABY |
| Date of Initiation - 371.16 ABY |

Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Hello everyone,
I've finally found the motivation to make some tutorials about frankensteining in blender.
Here's the first one :

(first part is missing the cursor but I guess it is still self explanatory)

Requirements :
Blender 2.79b or lower
JKA blender plugin suite

I'll make another one with more complex things, and bug fixes later but if you have some questions feel free to ask.
Answers without Questions :
- The white parts you see during the video are meshes of the model that aren't linked to a texture in the skin file.
- If you're struggling with the "right click to select" method of blender you can change it in the input panel of the user preferences.
- I'm using SublimeText to edit the skin files.
- I'm using a custom theme in blender, available in the user preferences.
- I'm deleting the various LOD in Poe's skin to avoid comflicts, by laziness and because I don't feel them really usefull nowadays.

Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Part 2 of the tutorial series :

If I forgot something, let me know and I'll add it to the next video. ;)

Guillo
Lost One

Post by Guillo »

Hey, sorry if reviving old topics is bad but I've been looking over this stuff and trying it out for myself. I've had no luck in making my own skin and I was hoping someone could go over these things with me personally! My discord is GrimeGod#7602. Again, really sorry if reviving this topic is a bad.
Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

Hello, what are you struggling with precisely?

Guillo
Lost One

Post by Guillo »

Oh it's fine now! I got some help from someone, thanks anyway.