[SPOILERS] SW Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread

Discussions which are Out of Character.
The Jedi Council
Jedi Council

[SPOILERS] SW Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread

Post by The Jedi Council »

As the release of Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi approaches the Internet has been full of teasers and theories, but now the time is finally here!

The Jedi Council have established this thread for the purpose of allowing all members of the community (and guests) to enjoy discussing the events of the film, without spoiling it for others who have yet to view it.

Other threads containing details regarding The Last Jedi will be deleted from the ::JEDI:: Comport without prior warning. Any member or guest caught deliberately posting spoilers for the film on either the servers or the forums (outside of this thread) shall be reprimanded and shall also expect to face harsh consequences enforced by the Jedi Council.

Additionally, while Skype is not an official platform endorsed by the ::JEDI:: Community, we ask our members to please be considerate of others before posting status updates that may potentially spoil The Last Jedi before others have had the chance to see it.

Once you have viewed the film, you are welcome to respond to this thread and prompt thoughts and discussion. The Jedi Council would like to wish everyone an enjoyable experience at their local cinema!

The Jedi Council of Duneeden

Sadjoo Hawieedu
Lost One

Re: [SPOILERS] SW Ep. VIII: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread

Post by Sadjoo Hawieedu »

Okay, so I've got three gripes with this movie. Big spoilers but it says that in the title.

1) They literally killed off or destroyed every single INTERESTING antagonistic force they had in the series. Phasma, really cool character, of who I was hoping to see more of - Probably dead. Snoke, one of the most mysterious, enigmatic villains in the ENTIRE Star Wars franchise in my opinion - Dead, and we didn't even learn anything about him. The Supremacy, one of the coolest-looking ships in Star Wars (Even though it apparently didn't have guns big or strong enough to destroy a Resistance Ship from however much of a distance away they were - maybe a design flaw there, if it can't destroy something from half a galaxy away is it REALLY a Super Star Destroyer?) - Blown up. Hell, even some of the newer Resistance cast who could have been REALLY interesting ended up dying because why not, like Amilyn Holdo, who was a badass in her own right.

Also, RIP Admiral Akbar. He will rest forever in my heart.

2) THAT Leia scene. I'm sure you know which one I mean. The cinema I was in was full of 'Uh, what?' and 'What is this?' during that scene. Maybe I'm just being too cynical, but it was ENTIRELY unnecessary and had no real relevance to the plot, it was just kinda uncomfortably there.

3) I forgot what 3 was. I'm dead from just coming back after standing for like 40 minutes waiting for my taxi. Maybe it was Yoda? I think it might have been Yoda. But now that I think back on it that was actually pretty cool.

Cast is strong as ever, I especially like Rose, definitely a cool new addition to the roster, the action scenes were great, ESPECIALLY the scene with Rey and Kylo Ren... Yeah. It was enjoyable. It was a bit like watching a car-crash at times, but it was enjoyable.

Name - Sadjoo HawieeduSpecies - RodianHomeplanet - Rodia
Age - 18Date of Birth - 358.07 Date Initiated - 369.29
Date Padawanned - 371.23 Mentors - Voh Phaar

Duncan Therin
Lost One

Post by Duncan Therin »

I'm going to type up a more detailed post, but after coming directly out of the theater, can we talk about how Leia is a space wizard? Or the fact that they decided to kill off Snoke whom we know literally nothing about other than that he is creepy as all hell? I get why Mark Hamill said that he didn't like the direction Rian Johnson was writing his character, Luke didn't seem especially Luke like to me.

Suffice to say, a lot of unconventional things for a Star Wars film; some good, some bad, I believe that there were some really poor decisions, yet also some risky ones that paid off big. I feel as though that, as the highest echelon of Star Wars nerds, we are all going to be especially critical. I'll give more thought after sleep and I'm not on my phone.

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Dariun Antane
Lost One

Post by Dariun Antane »

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but probably not as much as TFA.

What I didn't like
  • Rumor about Hayden Christensen didn't come true.
  • Luke's death.
  • Yoda's new look for the film, looked wayyyyy too fake in my opinion. The scene was nice though.
  • You killed off Snoke?! Really?!
  • Phasma has way less screen time and was killed very quickly.
  • Leia's force cop-out.

What I liked
  • The flashbacks
  • Rey's training
  • That scene with Chewbacca eating a Porg, so hilarious.
  • Kylo and Rey teaming up, great action.
  • Luke's reappearance on Crait
  • Literally everything else.
I was disappointed by a lot of things, but I'll still be buying and watching the film day 1 of home media release. So that's a guarantee.

A lot of great comedy, the funniest out of all the films. 8/10 from me.
Name: Dariun Antane
Date of Birth: 341.09 ABY
Next Birthday: 383.09 ABY
Apprenticed: 354.22
Mentor: Wen-Ordo
Pilot License: JFRb
Departed: 382.11
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Pretty much everything listed is the issues I and a couple friends had with the movie.

It felt like they were rushing to kill everything off from the old legacy stuff to have a clean slate with just the new characters - which I can understand - I just felt a lot of it was quite cheap...
  • For all the new species they brought out, some felt like it was purely Disney cashing in - like the horses. Porgs. All coming to a toy store near you. I can over look it though, but then we never saw ANYTHING from what we have come to expect to see in Star Wars. Zabraks, Twi'leks, Taun Tauns, Rancors, Asteroid Worms (though I appreciate those are more situational) etc. A small thing, but it would have felt good to see more of them or more fantastical beasts.
  • General Hux was missing a moustache he could twist the ends of when explaining his "we have them on a string" to Snoke. They should have had him more Peter Cushing than Dick Dastardly.
  • The bait and twist methods. Leia, Snoke, Rey's heritage. It felt like they led us to big moments and then threw one in from left field for the sake of going. "That's the twist!" ...but a really poor one.
  • Luke's big moment was let down by the climax, if they had just let him do a Kenobi, I would have felt it was a much better ending than what we got. I understand it, but I felt it was weak.
  • The in fighting and possible mutiny on the Resistance ship was a let down, I felt they wasted Laura Dern's potential in the film. I could have bought into their plight with a little internal sabotage, but yet again, it felt like it was a miss opportunity for the sake of something weaker.

HOWEVER, that moment with the last resistance ship and the jump to light-speed limit breaker - was exceptional. So, I guess that makes up for it?
  • I genuinely felt uncomfortable with Leia's death, but not in a bad way, just that it shocked me and it was in the thick of it, so you had little time to process it right away (which can be good, the movie could have given you a breather in the next scene). I thought it was brilliant for Kylo, he decides not to do it, but his co-pilots do it instead and he is left conflicted.

Then they go and ruin ALL of that, by doing what they did.
  • Rey and Kylo's team up was too short lived, it's like they teased it and then went back to the safety blanket. I felt they should have dared to be bold and let the team up carry over into the next movie.
7/10

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Duncan Therin
Lost One

Post by Duncan Therin »

Alright, sitting down at an actual computer now. As a preface, I have to note that I really enjoyed the movie and it's actually one of the best out of all of the Star Wars movies, easily beating out the prequels, as well as the Force Awakens and Rogue One, in my opinion. I would even dare to say it challenges some of the aspects in the original trilogy and earns some points in its own unique way. That said, as a super fan, as pretty much all of us here are, I also have strong critics about the film as well.

The most immediate thing that occurred in the film was the Leia flying to freedom back on board the ship; she's alive, granted she was comatose for a fair part of the film. I honestly don't even know what they were trying to go for with this, except maybe to show what the Force can allow? Which would allude to the fact that Luke wound up training Leia in this new canon, at least partially. It was an extremely odd and awkward part of the film that I felt was unnecessary, I didn't like it.

I'm sure everyone noticed it: jokes galore throughout the movie. You'd be lucky to see anything more than witty comments, from my observations, from Harrison Ford in the original trilogy. Jokes are EVERYWHERE throughout this movie; the majority of them are passable and made me laugh a bit. It makes me feel like this shifts a bit more from a drama/sci-fi/action to a comedy, not quite there, but definitely a different feel. I actually like this as I believe it gives more character to the characters in the film, makes them appear more human to actually be joking around, rather than dead pan serious all the time. "I'm from nowhere," - "No one is from nowhere," - "I'm from Jakku," - "Well, yeah, I guess that is pretty much nowhere,".

I feel like, in this film and Awakens, a lot of new characters were introduced, solely with the intent to kill them off after little character development. Phasma died in a cool way - I mean, she's presumably dead. We also thought Poe was dead until near the end of Awakens as well, so anything can happen. But she got hardly any screen time in Last Jedi, about as much screen time as Snoke got in Awakens; than Johnson kills her off. Ambiguous feelings about this, as it shows that he's not afraid to whack off characters, though it almost seems pointless to hype someone up like this just to kill them off. I also had pretty big gripes when it came to the handling of Snoke; hyped up over the span of about four years (advertisement prior to Awakens coming out), just to kill him off. We hardly know -anything- about his character at all, other than the fact that he's some creepy, wrinkly, somewhat powerful Sith Lord - arguably not even that powerful given the lack of power we see from him, minus that one scene where he kind of zaps Kylo.

Snoke's death actually really bothered me; we -should have- found out where the hell this guy came from that created yet another Empire, I for one was curious as to find out about his disfigurements. Nope! He's sliced in half; and I think the whole theater saw his death coming a mile away. "Now he will strike down his TRUE enemy!" - I mean, c'mon, the word 'true' gives away the fact that Kylo's going to kill Snoke. It was out of character based off what we saw of this omnipotent being to say. That said, I'm also upset because apparently he tainted Kylo whilst Kylo was still training under Luke; this raises questions, such as how did he get to Kylo without Luke's knowledge? Or how did he get to Kylo period? What made him pick Kylo out, his lineage? Along with a copious amount of other unanswered questions that I can't help but feel will be left unanswered now that the Supreme Leader of the First Empire is dead. Essentially, the majority is left to fan speculation.

That aside, the scene between Rey and Kylo fighting off the Praetorian Guard was top notch, I enjoyed seeing it, it seemed more brutish and heavy-handed than what we normally see, which I enjoyed; I wish it had lasted longer, but we don't always get what we want. The scenes that Snoke set up between Rey and Kylo, when they communicated telepathically, were a bit amusing.. "Can you at least put on a shirt?" - "I don't really feel like doing this right now," - "Yeah, same,". I couldn't help but laugh. Almost seems like they were trying to make a joke out of most situations.

The porgs! The Chewbacca scene with the porgs was glorious, wish we had seen more of our furry friend, though it seems like they are trying to wipe clean any remnants of the original trilogy. It started with Han, Luke died in Last Jedi, now I can't help but speculate that Leia will go in the last of these three movies. With the introduction of the new characters, it seems more and more like Disney is moving away from the past entirely, which I can respect given the new movies aren't about the characters from the original trilogy, I'll even give them props for the way they handled most of the original trilogy characters.

Except Luke. Luke didn't act anything like Luke in Last Jedi; this is my biggest gripe with the film and it's something that I can't shake off, it's an incredibly annoying sensation. Luke said it himself "the Jedi need to end," and I can't help but feel that his character is acting completely opposite to what he would actually do in this situation. I understand why Mark Hamill was opposed to what Rian Johnson had decided for his character, Hamill saying something to the effect of "I disagree with the direction that my character was caste in, though I'll do my best,". Just everything about Luke was not Luke, in my opinion; from how he handles the appearance of Rey, Chewie, R2, and the Falcon on his island, to having even a split second where he wanted to kill Kylo. This seems completely foreign given he was always the character with the most "I see good in you!" attitude. I just feel he was portrayed poorly. His end scene with Kylo was pretty epic though, I especially appreciated the demonstration of astral projection; his death got me a bit on edge, but I think we all knew he was probably going to kick the bucket this film.

They handled the new characters (ones from Awakens included) interestingly. I enjoyed seeing Fin and Rose go on their own adventure, I wish I had seen more from the slicer other than being the typical backstabber that we thought he was going to be. Hux has gotten 10x more memey since the last film. He's straight up leading the Third Reich in Star Wars, albeit in an extremely brutish and unfashionable way.

Yoda scene was glorious as well; it made me laugh at the beginning of it, but I quickly got on board with it. All in all, I'm glad to have seen the movie and will be seeing it again tomorrow and likely another time after that. I got my collector's popcorn tin and poster, so I'm happy; not that they will be in public view, I just like to be able to say I have them. All in all, for as much critique as I gave it, this has to be one of my favorite Star Wars films, rivaling aspects of the original trilogy in it's own respect. I'd be pretentious to give it a proper rating, but if I had to, I'd say a solid eight out of ten.

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Sadjoo Hawieedu
Lost One

Post by Sadjoo Hawieedu »

You know, if you think about it, this entire movie could have just NOT have happened if Amilyn Holdo had just explained her plan to evacuate to Crait from the beginning instead of being secretive and stuff.

Then again, the entire movie could have just NOT have happened if Snoke actually had some TIE Bombers in his ship that is the width of basically a fleet of Star Destroyers.

Name - Sadjoo HawieeduSpecies - RodianHomeplanet - Rodia
Age - 18Date of Birth - 358.07 Date Initiated - 369.29
Date Padawanned - 371.23 Mentors - Voh Phaar

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Movie was good. Rian Johnson running another trilogy is totally okay with me.

Still processing. Have two more viewings scheduled this weekend. Will report in afterwards.

Yoda was the shit.
/rpmicdrop

Kira Alde
Exiled

Post by Kira Alde »

Sared Kilvan wrote:Movie was good. Rian Johnson running another trilogy is totally okay with me.

Still processing. Have two more viewings scheduled this weekend. Will report in afterwards.

Yoda was the shit.
/rpmicdrop
Look out for a supposed Lightsaber in Lukes hut early on, I'm curious as to if there was one as mentioned in posts on twitter.

Eighteen | New Alderaan | Masterless

Darsu
Lost One

Post by Darsu »

...........TWO FUCKING HOURS TO SEE A LIGHTSABER PUT TO GOOD USE. *sighs*. That is all.
Dreshin
Lost One

Post by Dreshin »

A solid 7/10.
Dariun Antane
Lost One

Post by Dariun Antane »

=Darsu= wrote:...........TWO FUCKING HOURS TO SEE A LIGHTSABER PUT TO GOOD USE. *sighs*. That is all.
Aren't all of the movies pretty much like that? (Except 3). They usually always saved the lightsaber stuff until the end.
Name: Dariun Antane
Date of Birth: 341.09 ABY
Next Birthday: 383.09 ABY
Apprenticed: 354.22
Mentor: Wen-Ordo
Pilot License: JFRb
Departed: 382.11
Darsu
Lost One

Post by Darsu »

Dariun Antane wrote:
=Darsu= wrote:...........TWO FUCKING HOURS TO SEE A LIGHTSABER PUT TO GOOD USE. *sighs*. That is all.
Aren't all of the movies pretty much like that? (Except 3). They usually always saved the lightsaber stuff until the end.
Heck no. episode 1 we got it near the middle, Episode two during the high speed chase and ending to that, episode 3 pretty much 15-25 minutes in. four and five were late but six gave us the barge fight where luke just swung his lightsaber like a toddler. Seven had kylo using that thing quite a bit early on.

All in all i enjoyed the movie.
Cael Dan’kor
Lost One

Post by Cael Dan’kor »

Huh... salt.

I liked this movie a lot. Don’t expect to see as many risks or choices like this in a saga film anytime soon. It wasn’t perfect, but 95 percent of it worked for me. Curious to see how they plan on wrapping this up.
Aiden Kezeron
Lost One

Post by Aiden Kezeron »

7/10

|Name: Aiden Kezeron||Age: 46||Birthdate:341.04 |
|Homeplanet(s): Cathar, Naboo|
|Initiated:349.03||Padawaned:350.20||Knighted:370.14|
|Padawan(s): Maeve Lothaire, Lystra Hale|

Adrianna