[HOWTO] Sared's Guide to the Perfect Quickdraw

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

[HOWTO] Sared's Guide to the Perfect Quickdraw

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Or, "How to make holster files your bitch."

The goal of this tutorial is to provide a human-readable (translate: "idiots guide") version of the information provided in the default holster.cfg file.

What you will need:

Jedi Academy Multiplayer with RPMod
A Jedi Academy server running RPMod
Notepad
Winzip/Winrar/Pakscape
Depth perception
Patience

(Note: I would suggest doing this on your own time, not when you are in the middle of anything server-side. However, while you are experimenting, the changes that you see will only be seen on your end, so nobody will notice if you accidently positioned your lightsaber in your chest or eye or something.)

First off, you're going to need the actual holster.cfg file, untainted and untarnished. A copy of this file is provided inside RPMod-Client-Assets.pk3, within the models->players->kyle directory. Once you've got that, you'll find a great deal more information on how to set holster files for all weapons. For the purpose of this tutorial however, we're just going to holster the lightsaber.

There are a few commands that you are going to be using a LOT, so be familliar with them and what they do, and consider having them copied and easily paste-able.

rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons

When set to '0', nothing. Anything higher and you'll be toying with a specific weapon. The complete list is viewable inside holster.cfg, but for now, know that by setting it to '1', you are going to be playing with the position of just a single lightsaber hilt.

rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_boneindex

This variable will tell the game which part of the model's skeleton we are holstering the weapon to. The list is short enough I can paste it here:

0 = HOLSTER_NONE (will not display weapon)
1 = HOLSTER_UPPERBACK
2 = HOLSTER_LOWERBACK
3 = HOLSTER_LEFTHIP
4 = HOLSTER_RIGHTHIP

rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset

The posoffset controls the X, Y, and Z position of our hilt, relative to the bone we selected with the previous command. Inputting this can be only slightly less annoying than bathing a cat. You'll need to put in the variable exactly the way it will appear in the holster.cfg file itself. So, for example:
The Wrong Way To Do It wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset -5,4,-4
The Right Way To Do It wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset "-5 4 -4"
Now if you're anything like me (trust me, I'm worried too), then those last three numbers will start to get messy pretty quick. All you have to remember is the way the X, Y, and Z (in that exact order) axis work. Positive will always increase the distance along each axis (with X being the front, or forward-facing part of your model), towards the arrows, and negative will do the same thing in reverse.

rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_angOffset

Lastly, you'll want to use angOffset to determine the Yaw, Pitch, and Roll of the weapon. To keep it simple, all you need to know is that each determines the rotation of the hilt on the X(Yaw), Y(Pitch) and Z(Roll) axis, with positive being clockwise and negative being counter-clockwise.

After you've taken the time to experiment with each of these values in-game and have arrived at a position that you're comfortable with, crack open the default holster.cfg file we acquired earlier. You'll see a lot of entries that look like this:

Code: Select all

holsterType HLR_SINGLESABER_1
boneIndex HOLSTER_LOWERBACK 
posOffset "-5, 4, -4"
angOffset "180, 0, 6"
In fact, the very first entry should look exactly like that. You can see here where you'll need to plug in the XYZ and YPR values that you got yourself in there. Once you've done that, save the file as holster.cfg, and include it in models->players->yourskinnamehere directory of your pk3. Give it a swing, try it out to make sure you like it, and you'll be good to go!

Quick thanks to Zeak who saved me a LOT of time in writing this by already figuring out how this works out-of-game. Thanks man!

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

If only you'd had this a week ago when I spent four hours altering my hilt heh. Looks pretty well detailed. Good job.

*Would appreciate this thread being stickied*

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Thank you thank you thank you!
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Thank you thank you thank you!
I've always struggled remembering how exactly the format for the holster files go, and could never find anything that truly explained it.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
abahnur

Post by abahnur »

wow wow wow! thanks sared, this is what i just needed, for later of course, i will need a lot of things anyway a guy to model, or a modelling guide, but I prefer the first one, anyway, thanks Sared, for sharing this with us.
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Re: Sared's Guide to the Perfect Quickdraw

Post by Alehk Thol »

Sared Kilvan wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset

The posoffset controls the X, Y, and Z position of our hilt, relative to the bone we selected with the previous command. Inputting this can be only slightly less annoying than bathing a cat. You'll need to put in the variable exactly the way it will appear in the holster.cfg file itself. So, for example:
The Wrong Way To Do It wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset -5,4,-4
The Right Way To Do It wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset "-5, 4, -4"
Just something that I noticed whilst following this particular part today. The "Right Way To Do It" did not work whilst using commas. However, entering the command without them did work. So, to clarify:
How to enter the command in the console wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset "-5 4 -4"
&
How to enter the command in the console wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_angOffset "0 0 10"
How this would look in your holster (note the return of the commas):

Code: Select all

{
	holsterType HLR_SINGLESABER_1
	boneIndex HOLSTER_LOWERBACK 
	posOffset "5, 4, -4"
	angOffset "0, 0, 10"
}
EDIT: Note, you may also use decimals.

E.g.
How to enter the command in the console wrote:rpc_debugHolsteredWeapons_posOffset "-5 4 -4.3"
EDIT #2: Shameless self-advertising, but temporarily installing this mod sincerely helps, as you won't have to keep opening and closing the console to see the effects of what you've done.
Valgam Freestar
Lost One

Re: [HOWTO] Sared's Guide to the Perfect Quickdraw

Post by Valgam Freestar »

I see a lot of people who don't know how to do that so I'll just bump it.
Born: 362.29 Initiated: 370.18 Apprenticed: 378.23 Knighted: 385.25
Mentor:
Karmarie Zar, Xayr'ka Atreus
Departements: Archives, Vanguards
Vania Starr
Lost One

Post by Vania Starr »

I would love to know how to make the hilt go further down tho... Doesn't really help explain much or maybe I'm dumb who knows, as I was testing and the hilt I eventually wanna use, the bottom touches the top of Vania's chest when I want it to hang from the dring on the bottom of the hilt, position is fine, just want to lower the hilt more
Species: Human | Age: 25 | Mentor: Isane Fenris
Tycho Varga
Lost One

Post by Tycho Varga »

If anyone doesn't feel like they can do holster file edits on their own, feel free to drop me a PM. I don't mind helping people with holster edits.

Edit: I quickly worked up a quick holster file. If you use the models from the 'spanki' customization pack, this should align your saber to your left side where the saber clip is. This also disables the holster on all non-saber weapon types (blasters, snipers, rocket launchers, etc) so if you accidentally get one, or are in an RP situation where you temp have all the guns, your character doesn't look like you're out of *insert RPG name here* carrying a bunch of loot.
Attachments
holster.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 397 times

Tycho Varga
Human from Corellia

-~-~-~-~-~-=[Ranks]=-~-~-~-~-~-
Padawan
Aspirant Artisan
Healer Trainee

-~-~-~-~-~-=[Brief]=-~-~-~-~-~-

Born 364.20 (25)
Initiated on Ossus