Enable Image Support on RPMod Asset Pages

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Serir Vun
Lost One

Enable Image Support on RPMod Asset Pages

Post by Serir Vun »

We've got a large archive of maps and files, it would be nice if admins had the ability to upload images to those files à la jkhub so that they can be reviewed.

Benefits:
  • Allows for previewing maps before waiting for deployment and joining game.
  • Helps bring older maps that are uploaded back into the limelight should members take it upon themselves to take screenshots and upload them.
  • Many of these files have pk3 names that don't necessarily line up with the intended design name, making it difficult to find some of the pages on JKhub (if they indeed exist at all)
  • Generally positive quality of life change overall that also encourages utilization of the RPMod portal
Detriments:
  • Workload involved with taking and posting these screenshots would be sizeable
    • Counterpoint - If it is volunteer basis only, the worst case is that there is no functional change whatsoever.
  • Undermines some of JKHub use
    • Counterpoint - JKHub is still useful for new files and locating files that are not in our database. That being said there are quite a lot of files in our system that people don't even know about.
    • It's worth noting the maps lost when filefront went down, it can definitely be seen as a community service to do so moving forward.
  • Moderating/Approving images generates additional workload or oversight from the council
    • Counterpoint - Restricting access to Admins folds it into the existing oversight we have for Knights+.
  • Frequency of utilization
    • Counterpoint - I know personally I'd use an contribute to this as much as I could through various knights/the council. But I'm just one guy.
Some Suggestions that May Improve this Idea:
  1. There could be an appointed Knight+ that oversees additions and images are sent to them similar to how we handle the NPC pack, Vehicle Pack, Music Pack, and hilt pack.
  2. Updates to these files can be made visible on the RPMod portal main page similar to how we have the "Latest Archives Articles" section of the holonet main page.
  3. We could include sections to link to JKHub page and description of the file, as well as fields for the original creator if they are known to preserve credit.
Alright, that's it, that's all I got, tell me what y'all think.
⌠ Name: Serir Vun • Species: Duros • Master: Joran Fayara | Iffo Rav'i • Knighted: 410.26 • Birth: 374.14 ABY ⌡
Kiara O'ren
Jedi Master | High Councilor

Re: Enable Image Support on RPMod Asset Pages

Post by Kiara O'ren »

I support this suggestion.

A picture says a thousand words and while I try to be descriptive on what the map is when I upload it and what kind of areas it has in it, nothing beats a screenshot when it comes to jogging someone's memory or piquing their interest into what RP could be possible there!

Levelshots just sometimes aren't enough.

Another possible solution, so that all the files don't have to be stored on JEDI's webserver (idk if that's really a problem, I'm not really a website tech person) but an option to include a link to the map's JKHUB page or link screenshots directly from JKHub could be an alternative?

Good idea Serir
___________|- Name: Kiara O'ren | Born: 372ABY | Image
|- Initiation: 382.27 ABY -|- Apprenticed: 386.01 ABY -|- Knighted: 397.25 -|- Padawans: Eli Tzineda, Donan Healof, Tarsi Morga -|
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

This is a good suggestion, and it should be relatively easy to implement.

Note that Knights+ should already be able to use the Edit action on a Game Asset to fill the Description and File information URL (e.g. JKHub) fields (but please do NOT fill the "Public download URL" one).
Kiara O'ren
Jedi Master | High Councilor

Post by Kiara O'ren »

Soh Raun wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:55 pm This is a good suggestion, and it should be relatively easy to implement.

Note that Knights+ should already be able to use the Edit action on a Game Asset to fill the Description and File information URL (e.g. JKHub) fields (but please do NOT fill the "Public download URL" one).
Do image tags already work in that description field, Soh? Or is that what needs implementing?
___________|- Name: Kiara O'ren | Born: 372ABY | Image
|- Initiation: 382.27 ABY -|- Apprenticed: 386.01 ABY -|- Knighted: 397.25 -|- Padawans: Eli Tzineda, Donan Healof, Tarsi Morga -|
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Kiara O'ren wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm Do image tags already work in that description field, Soh? Or is that what needs implementing?
Image tags won't work there, the description field can only contain text. I need to implement a picture upload area like there is already for skins or assets.