[Weapons] Lightsaber Lengths

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

[Weapons] Lightsaber Lengths

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

There's a topic with the same title, but my suggestion is a different one. As I was talking to one of the larger members of our community, I came on the idea to standardize the eventual lightsaber blades of members relative to their model size.

JKA's standard model scale for multiplayer is set at 100, and saber length at 40. My suggestion is that we take this 40/100 ratio and have it standard apply to lightsabers which students and/or teachers request for the weapon pack, enforced by the person maintaining the pack at the time. Someone with a model scale of 90 would end up with a saber scale of 36. Someone with a model scale of 110 would then end up with a saber scale of 44. When confronted with fractional numbers, we could opt to round it up above ,5 and down below ,5. Still, no min-maxing. :wink:

I sincerely believe that this would add to the game stability, while also remaining true to reason. I think it's logical that you wouldn't choose to take on an unoptimized lightsaber length when you build your lightsaber, as it is realistically scaled to your ratio, and I would believe has been for a while through research of countless millennia.
An exception is the dual-phase option that Kenta has, for example. This one is scaled to 55, being a 1.25 multiplayer to the base 40.

Kenta's model scale: 108% --> 40/100 * 108 = 43.2 --> 43 saber length.
His extended saber length could be adjusted to either the rounded-off number or the unrounded number --> 43.2 * 1.25 = 54 <- Exactly, which actually would make it ideal.

I'd really like to hear what others think about this, because we can't doubt that Yoda had a significantly shorter lightsaber, simply because it wasn't a viable option. That's why I think this ratio should reflect in-game.

NOTE: It's of course not feasible to update the weapons pack every time someone figures he's due for a model increase. Rather model size increase should be planned ahead and transmitted to the maintainer long enough in advance.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Keth Flynn
Lost One

Re: [Weapons] Lightsaber Lengths

Post by Keth Flynn »

I agree, I really like the idea. It solves the issue of the younglings having a short saber after model scaling.
Name:Keth Flynn|Birthdate:315.18 ABY|Mentor:Dev Kai|Knighted:346.29|

Jago Mirax
Lost One

Post by Jago Mirax »

Yup.

| Birthdate: 322.21 ABY | Age: 61 |

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

Keth Flynn wrote:I agree, I really like the idea. It solves the issue of the younglings having a short saber after model scaling.
Well, it's mostly pertaining to older students when they've made their own saber, as I said. I don't think it's possible to have saber length automatically adjust depending on model scale, but I'd have to look at Soh for that. As of now these things are determined by values in the .sab files of the particular member's hilts.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

Seems like a nice idea.
Support.

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Saber lengths can be changed very easily via the .sab files. It's literally a single line of code and takes less than thirty second. It's a very simple task and would probably be easier than doing coding for the mod. If there's enough demand for it, I don't have any problem updating the pack more frequently.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

love it.

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

Seems legit. +1
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Greatly approve!

Your added efforts would be much appreciated, Delmi!

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Maia Rimora
Lost One

Post by Maia Rimora »

I think it'd make a nice addition! +1
ImageCathar | Homeworld: Cathar | Mentor: Alehk Thol
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

I agree, some might want a blade more scaled to their height than the usual 28 length for shoto blades.
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

Agreeee.

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

Yes pls.

Name: Niko Inaru | Birthdate: 323.3 ABY | Age: 35 | Homeworld: Eshan | Initiated: 333.28 ABY | Noviced: 338.14 ABY

Duncan Therin
Lost One

Post by Duncan Therin »

Highly support this, +1 from me.

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

What a terrible idea.

I support it.
But the only issue that comes to my mind is striking range for people, some people will have longer striking ranges, (AKA taller characters) making it easier for them to strike and harder to be struck.

Now, I didn't mention this to be a BIG problem, and it might just be a marginal thing, so I'm open to other perspectives on it. I really shouldn't even mention this given that Galen should top out at 105-106%, but if there is an issue I think should be brought to the table, I'll present it.

I still support the idea though, don't get me wrong.