[Weapons] Lightsaber Lengths

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Keth Flynn
Lost One

Re: [Weapons] Lightsaber Lengths

Post by Keth Flynn »

If you're saying being taller is an advantage then think about the smaller guy too, hitting at your knee caps. Seriously, in the end, it's just a matter of how you are handling the situation. Well, if there aren't any extremes. (Delmi/Zuri but that's just it really)
Again, a very minor problem. I'll just say it like Zander, it should be relative to the model scale. You don't want a big guy having a ridiculously smaller-than-shoto-like as a main lightsaber or either a Bimm ( 8) ) with a lightclub kind of deal.
Name:Keth Flynn|Birthdate:315.18 ABY|Mentor:Dev Kai|Knighted:346.29|

Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

Keth Flynn wrote:If you're saying being taller is an advantage then think about the smaller guy too, hitting at your knee caps. Seriously, in the end, it's just a matter of how you are handling the situation. Well, if there aren't any extremes. (Delmi/Zuri but that's just it really)
Again, a very minor problem. I'll just say it like Zander, it should be relative to the model scale. You don't want a big guy having a ridiculously smaller-than-shoto-like as a main lightsaber or either a Bimm ( 8) ) with a lightclub kind of deal.
I guess you have a point there, I've tried hitting some smaller targets and ended up missing about 100% more than on targets my size.
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

It's fairly easy to edit the length of your lightsaber in the .sab file located within it, keep in mind though that by altering the length you can give yourself an undesirable advantage by making it longer than 40 units, meaning much more reach than everyone else and it ends up being close to a Desaan based saber.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Personally, I approved this suggestion under the pretense of having someone responsible for the given suggested edits accounting for saber length relative to model size. What I don't like is the idea of members editing their saber files to adjust the length of their blade for the exact reason Evanin has just mentioned. If you feel the need to edit your blade in order to get an advantage on others in sparring then I'd find that incredibly disheartening and it would impact the view I have on the individuals role-play and general attitude in the community. This is something I feel needs to be monitored and kept to a bare minimum. If you're playing a wookie or a seven or even eight foot tall character (desaan), than yeah, it's understandable but it needs to be justifiable both IC/OOC. I also think this is something the Council should have final say over.

FYI: I'll say the same for vehicle modifications.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

Evanin wrote:It's fairly easy to edit the length of your lightsaber in the .sab file located within it, keep in mind though that by altering the length you can give yourself an undesirable advantage by making it longer than 40 units, meaning much more reach than everyone else and it ends up being close to a Desaan based saber.
Kieran Orion wrote:Personally, I approved this suggestion under the pretense of having someone responsible for the given suggested edits accounting for saber length relative to model size. What I don't like is the idea of members editing their saber files to adjust the length of their blade for the exact reason Evanin has just mentioned. If you feel the need to edit your blade in order to get an advantage on others in sparring then I'd find that incredibly disheartening and it would impact the view I have on the individuals role-play and general attitude in the community. This is something I feel needs to be monitored and kept to a bare minimum. If you're playing a wookie or a seven or even eight foot tall character (desaan), than yeah, it's understandable but it needs to be justifiable both IC/OOC. I also think this is something the Council should have final say over.

FYI: I'll say the same for vehicle modifications.

I'm pretty sure any changes are reviewed by the pack moderator (Delmi) and changes like these are kept in mind. Fairly certain that he has plenty jurisdiction to accept or deny anything out of order and speaks to either the Council or mentor regarding any unorthodox changes to ensure it is allowed.

I don't think you're giving enough credit to the mindset of the community for thinking this isn't common sense. x)
Last edited by Zander-Bo Umra on Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Zander wrote:I'm pretty sure any changes are reviewed by the pack moderator (Delmi) and changes like these are kept in mind. Fairly certain that he has plenty jurisdiction to accept or deny anything out of order and speaks to either the Council or mentor regarding any unorthodox changes to ensure it is allowed.

I don't think you're giving enough credit to the mindset of the community for thinking this isn't common sense. x)
Given the recent number of new additions to the community that we've seen lately, it's good for them and others to be reminded that caution should be put into these sort of things, for consistency and good standing.

You also quoted me wrong :P

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

Fixed ;D
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

:D

And yes, for the record, you're perfectly correct regarding Delmi. He's more than capable and has been in charge of the pack for some time. My post wasn't to be mistaken for any down play of his work but what I meant was that perhaps more clarification around the modding of these assets might need to be looked into, regarding our community rule set.

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

I can understand what Kieran is saying. It'd be a lot of work to go through every .sab file Delmi is sent to check that nobody is conducting any 'foul play'

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Arven Silaan wrote:I can understand what Kieran is saying. It'd be a lot of work to go through every .sab file Delmi is sent to check that nobody is conducting any 'foul play'
Well Zuri has wanted to shorten his blade for a long time but when asked it came across he didn't want to bother Delmi over it, so instead uses the t_young hilt instead :/
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

For the record, I do go through ever .sab file. It's not hard at all to call out stuff on them. They're quite straight forward both in reading and editing.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Delmi wrote:For the record, I do go through ever .sab file. It's not hard at all to call out stuff on them. They're quite straight forward both in reading and editing.
^ This. ^

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Post by Zuri Lyn »

:oops:

Yes, I'm a very lasy toad and didn't want to bother Delmi over a modification I could do myself. In the end, I guess it's faster for him to do that change himself than to redownload a change I'd do, so I'll send a pm.

Back to the topic of discussion, I do agree that it's reasonable that one's lightsaber length is somewhat proportional to their own height. That is not only the case in real life combat sports, for example in wielding batons, where you wouldn't have one much longer than your total height, as it is also the case in the star wars shows and other canon : Yoda has a lightsaber blade length of 70 cm (27 inches) while a normal lightsaber blade's length is of 145 cm.

Still, you can see from that Yoda comparison it's not strictly proportional, Yoda being less than twice as high as 'normal size'. While I generally agree with the suggestion, I believe people already choose their lightsaber size roughly that way and don't think rules needs to be strictly enforced. Initiate lightsaber length is currently 28, which is probably agreed to be a good length, though that would be 2 too long compared to Zander's suggestion (From what I know, initiate size is at 65%, and 65% * 40 = 26).

To get slightly mathy, a straight line that'd go through both points (0.65; 28) and (1; 40), would have for equation : lightsaber length = 34.2 * model scale + 5.80. This kind of formula better accounts for Yoda's lightsaber length but is overly complicated for its purpose. It's also possible to get much more complicated and find a formula we could agree on would be very fair and have a correct lightsaber length depending on model size.

Nevertheless, Zander's suggestion has the merit of being much simpler, so I'm for keeping this idea as a quick guess for lightsaber length, but because of the reasons stated above, feel it'd be over the top to enforce lightsaber lengths to a 'formula' strictly.

As conclusion, I'd simply suggest people who's lightsaber sizes stray away from Zander's formula by over 3 or 4 points would be recommended to have their lightsaber sizes adjusted. Fair play and good will go much further than regulations :)