Adding consistency to wall jumps.

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Adding consistency to wall jumps.

Post by Zuri Lyn »

So, weird suggestion and first world problem, but I've found out an inconsistency in wall jumps annoying enough to make me suggest a correction. It's not a bug since (as far as I know), not specifically related to rpmod, or because if it is related to rpmod, so far, it's a feature.

What am I actually talking about?
From Jump level 3 onwards, you get the ability to wall jump, that is, while in flight and next to a wall, pressing your jump key will have your character stop against the wall, perform an animation and jump off, using 13 force points for a small jump.

I think it comes with rpmod, but we also have the ability to 'stick' to the wall, by holding the jump key all along or pressing it again before your character jumps off. Your character then remains in this animation block against the wall for as long as you hold your key down and as long as your keyboard holds.

Additionally, you can execute a long jump if you have perfect timing. What I mean by long jump is a jump akin to jumping from the ground, where you can hold your jump key to continue rising. Because of the time during which pressing your jump key makes you stick to the wall, you can only execute a long wall jump if you press after that time is gone and before your character has already jumped off. Effectively, you have under 0.1 seconds.

This is what all my rant is for. I don't mind this time being short, at all, if it's meant to be difficult. My problem is, the time at which you must execute this press is variable. It is inconsistent, and there are no visual cues. All in all, apart from knowing the general second in which to press, if you manage to do a long wall jump or not is strictly down to luck.

That's my problem there, and what I'd wish for there to be a fix : Have the character jump from the wall at a consistent time so that through practise, it would be possible to achieve a long jump more consistently.

As additional information :

-It appears it is the moment your character leaves the wall which is variable, and that the time during which a jump key press will keep you attached is adjusted on that (but you only know it in restrospect :( )

-I have verified my claims by using a simple macro which jumps once to attach to the wall, and jumps again exactly 0.436 seconds later (and holds the jump key for a second or so). Despite the exact same timing on key presses, my character will sometimes execute a long wall jump, sometimes attach to the wall, sometimes execute a small jump. I've tested different times and this one enables my character to jump off about half the time.
(Please note, if this was fixed, I would not intend to use a macro to execute these jumps, they are only for testing)

-Kind of unrelated, but since I was on a rant on inconsistency, I thought I'd mention sentry droids (floating balls), that move sideways every x seconds, give or take 0.1s . That inconsistency there isn't actually problematic because you don't need to do anything about it, and adds gameplay in that ten sentries moves at the same time will phase out of sync. I dislike the wall jump inconsistency because it doesn't *add* anything fun but takes away your ability to train and do things well when you need it.

-You're a hero if you read this far without skipping. Thanks for responding to this post if you've also felt this problem/if you find this suggestion will be useful in general/if you agree to the statement against random inconsistency/if you feel like responding to this post.
Duncan Therin
Lost One

Re: Adding consistency to wall jumps.

Post by Duncan Therin »

I think it is part of the magic of JKA. I think it is pretty well as the way it is now, even if we could temper the jump ability to make it more consistent in this matter I would probably say no. I don't think it would be hard to adjust, but still not worth the effort. I would think of it more as a " If you got it your lucky, if not bad timing " Besides, I don't think it comes down to sheer luck, I think you can do it based off your timing. I haven't noticed any inconsistency but I haven't tested it. However like I said, I don't think it would be worth it to adjust it anyway. Nice tidbit though, very interesting to note, and for that I commend you.

Name: Duncan Therin | Birthdate: 330.01 ABY | Homeworld: Sembla | Species: Vurk | Languages: Basic, (understands) Binary, Huttese, Semblan | Initiated: 338.14 ABY | Noviced: 341.09 ABY | Apprenticed: 343.02 ABY | Knighted: 354.24 ABY l Mentor: Motoko Isawa, 343.02-347.26 ABY | Padawan(s): Dorian Reyn

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Re: Adding consistency to wall jumps.

Post by Jerex Sol »

I have also noticed this inconsistency, though I have noticed it in an additional way than just the wall jumps. When falling from the top most level of the outside of the yavin map, you are able to wall run at a certain point before you hit the ground at the speed of sound(im a poet), removing the fall damage you would have taken had you not done that wall run. I did this maybe 20 times or so and was only able to wall run 4 times out of the 20 times I jumped from the top.

While this and the inconsistency of the wall jumps never really bothered me enough to make a suggestion out of it, if there is a possible fix for this I would definitely not mind having it implemented.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03