Offense 1

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Coren Ran
Lost One
Location: Rannon, Rannon System, Instrop Sector, Outer Rim Territories

Re: Offense 1

Post by Coren Ran »

Dev Kai wrote:I am against changing the training setting variants. It wouldn't be fun because you couldn't spar or train with initiates/ jr padawans, because you would just one shot them.
I agree, HOWEVER on the flip-side, this would promote them to spar smarter and teach them to spar efficiently.
| mentor_xa'o.zalei | padawans_atrux.nuro/zekii.abrak/agitt.tanwa/rei.xaria/nico.keztor/jerex.sol/krei'dexx'onubi/wolo.tay |
Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

Seeing younglings using their full upper body strength a la yellow style doesn't mesh well with their model scales or the fact that they're still the cute little tykes that we believe them to be. It fits the early stage of training.

Any can be precise and calculated, it's just that some are faster with shorter range and less damage and vice versa. And of course you can use them for whatever style you want to an extent. But I don't see how you could call Red Soresu. :lol:

But what would I know, I'm not into sword fighting!

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Isane Fenris wrote:Seeing younglings using their full upper body strength a la yellow style doesn't mesh well with their model scales or the fact that they're still the cute little tykes that we believe them to be. It fits the early stage of training.

Any can be precise and calculated, it's just that some are faster with shorter range and less damage and vice versa. And of course you can use them for whatever style you want to an extent. But I don't see how you could call Red Soresu. :lol:

But what would I know, I'm not into sword fighting!
Nah, you prefer to use your Magics ;)

I agree that younglings are supposed to be wild and crazy, being stuck with blue I see them flail wildly which is just being realistic if ridiculous at the same time.
Rather see them flail than show refined control of someone with yellow, they are energetic after all ;)
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

Not everyone is a youngling. I think Silas's idea is the best, to keep things non-linear. Not that JEDI is based solely on canon, and we have many differences to what is acceptable and not, but Forms was one thing that seemed unrestricted in the show. I mean, why should Ahsoka know reverse grip shien at such a 'young' age? Variety if possible is the best way to go. IRP it makes sense for a person who comes from a heritage of fighting like Noghri,Echani, the Mandalorian faith, Arkanian, etc. to know how to wield a blade. Although a Vibrosword isn't as light as a lightsaber, It is not like the information of holding a sword like that would leave their mind. A normal kid would still try to implement his own movements that he learned before hand, while also practicing the new, which happens each time we learn a new form as well; no body forgets things, we add on to the knowledge.

Name: Niko Inaru | Birthdate: 323.3 ABY | Age: 35 | Homeworld: Eshan | Initiated: 333.28 ABY | Noviced: 338.14 ABY

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Niko Inaru wrote:Not everyone is a youngling. I think Silas's idea is the best, to keep things non-linear. Not that JEDI is based solely on canon, and we have many differences to what is acceptable and not, but Forms was one thing that seemed unrestricted in the show. I mean, why should Ahsoka know reverse grip shien at such a 'young' age? Variety if possible is the best way to go. IRP it makes sense for a person who comes from a heritage of fighting like Noghri,Echani, the Mandalorian faith, Arkanian, etc. to know how to wield a blade. Although a Vibrosword isn't as light as a lightsaber, It is not like the information of holding a sword like that would leave their mind. A normal kid would still try to implement his own movements that he learned before hand, while also practicing the new, which happens each time we learn a new form as well; no body forgets things, we add on to the knowledge.
It's true that other cultures practice fighting as an art, if you can roleplay it effectively sure why not, if you want something you still have to work for it and prove you can do it :)
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

It's up to us to assume the responsibility of knowing when we're being too unrealistic. For example a four foot youngling knowing yellow is ludicrous, but someone like an Echani, Noghri or even Rattataki who comes from a rich background of combat oriented skills would be a little more comfortable. That's why I think a non-linear system would best benefit us because right now its just restricting the potential.

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

Maia Rimora wrote:You're not wrong with the transition thing in mind! However much of the footwork and use of the lightsaber, regardless of how weightless it is, was more or less designed with the idea of traditional swordplay in mind, hence, the two handed grip. In your reference to Obi-Wan and Darth Vader, the hilts were designed in mind to be incredibly heavy at this point in Star Wars lore, they were more akin to swordplay than the amped up speed of lightsaber combat in episodes 1-3 and 5.

There is some truth that it'd be clumsy but at the end of day, that's based on game mechanics of blue being -too- fast, where as yellow seems like a safer approach for any new student when entering the realm of lightsaber combat. In theory, the speed of blue would perhaps best suited for those that can actually use the style with precision and good tactics in mind. Yellow is seemingly more straight forward. I do think in terms of RP, being clumsy is down to the initiate, I find that wookieepedia article to be too general, it's down to the player on whether or not they start out clumsy, they don't necessarily have to.

But of course! Roleplay comes before game mechanics.
wookieepedia; fast style wrote:This style bore some similarities to the Ataru form of the Jedi Order, making use of acrobatic jumps and rolls to strike an opponent from unexpected angles. It also shared similarities with Soresu, since users kept the blade close to their bodies for a very rapid and effective defense against blasters and other melee weapons. It's worth noting that Tavion Axmis uses a variant of the fast style that has many similarities to that of Shien, being more aggressive and offensive than the fast style that is used by Kyle Katarn. Fast style enabled very fast parries or trap shunts, allowing users to trap and then redirect an opponent's strike to knock them off-balance.
wookiepedia; medium style wrote:The medium style struck a balance between the powerful but slow swings of the strong style and the short but swift strikes of the fast style. The medium style was very simple in design, and that is both a strength and weakness. It was an excellent style to fall back onto when nothing else worked, and could provide a respectable offense and defense. It could effectively combat blasters and hold less skilled lightsaber duelist at bay. However, more skilled gunslingers (such as Boba Fett) or more talented lightsaber duelists (such as Luke Skywalker) would very rapidly break a medium style defense. The same holds true in offense, as a skilled duelist would rapidly destroy the user's momentum and counterattack.

This style bore some similarities to the Shii-Cho and Niman forms of the Old Jedi Order, both combining elements of multiple combat forms, yet being simple and basic. A few Ataru-like elements could also be seen in some of the acrobatic techniques within this style, although jumping or rolling techniques were few and far between in this style.
Food for thought in regards to what's been written on these styles elsewhere.

Uhm... Correct me if I'm wrong. But Obi-wan's hilt in ANH is the same that he was using in ROTS. I see no canon on him changing nor adding weight to his blade? Is their any proof to your claim? Did he add some lead to his hilt whilst he was on Tatooine chilling as a hermit?

And let's not forget that Darth Vader was still considered -the- pinnacle of a swordsman in his biotic armor. I doubt all the other Jedi he was hunting down at this point in time all agreed: "I know what, lets slow our abilities down by adding weight to our hilt." Sorry I don't mean to be rude but I find it quite a ridiculous argument to make that "lightsabers were heavier at this point in time." Because in the next movie you've got Luke who is showing what I would call "yellow" style swings.

Now, onto the quotes of Wookiee, I read those too. However they're referring to Jedi Knight Outcast Single Player. Which, the game mechanics are similar yet vastly different at the same time. The styles are changed when it comes to JKA:MP And I sure know I would not be using blue for the 'best' defense that the rest of the wookieepedia article makes out.

Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

What Maia is referring to is Lucas' original stance that lightsabers were super heavy, but he was later convinced to change this as the episodes went by. You can notice that from how they began holding lightsabers with one hand in the prequels more often than they did in the original trilogy. I'm not sure if it applies to canon, though :?

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.Lucas is God.

...On a more serious note. Only thing I have an opinion on is the level of saber offense you gain desann/tavion at. They should be switched.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03