"Simultaneous Update" Option?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Serir Vun
Lost One

"Simultaneous Update" Option?

Post by Serir Vun »

Heya! I was downloading a large list of udates today and as I came up with a suggestion. Simply put, could there be an option to do multiple update downloads simultaneously? If you have the bandwidth and speed to handle the amount, why not allow it to be taken advantage of? Thanks! =)
⌠ Name: Serir Vun • Species: Duros • Master: Joran Fayara | Iffo Rav'i • Knighted: 410.26 • Birth: 374.14 ABY ⌡
Zeros Darok

Re: "Simultaneous Update" Option?

Post by Zeros Darok »

The updater allows you to queue any and all updates at once and will download them one after the other with the touch of a single button once the desired skins/packs are selected.
Serir Vun
Lost One

Post by Serir Vun »

Yes, I am aware. I actually would like to be able to download simultaneously.
⌠ Name: Serir Vun • Species: Duros • Master: Joran Fayara | Iffo Rav'i • Knighted: 410.26 • Birth: 374.14 ABY ⌡
Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

I'm fairly certain that won't really make it faster in any significant way.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

This wouldn't change much, but the next version of the Launcher supports "delta" updates, i.e. it will only download parts that changed between the two files to speed things up.
Zeros Darok

Post by Zeros Darok »

Soh Raun wrote:This wouldn't change much, but the next version of the Launcher supports "delta" updates, i.e. it will only download parts that changed between the two files to speed things up.
Now that sounds a lot more efficient than having to download entire files every time they're updated, would save time but would it remove the parts that aren't present in the newer versions of the pk3?
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Zeros Darok wrote:Now that sounds a lot more efficient than having to download entire files every time they're updated, would save time but would it remove the parts that aren't present in the newer versions of the pk3?
Yes, it doesn't inspect the contents inside the PK3, just the binary differences of the whole PK3 file.
Zeros Darok

Post by Zeros Darok »

Soh Raun wrote:
Zeros Darok wrote:Now that sounds a lot more efficient than having to download entire files every time they're updated, would save time but would it remove the parts that aren't present in the newer versions of the pk3?
Yes, it doesn't inspect the contents inside the PK3, just the binary differences of the whole PK3 file.
Ah, that does sound useful.
Serir Vun
Lost One

Post by Serir Vun »

My ignorance of this sort of thing probably betrays me horribly here. And if I'm seeing this incorrectly please inform me because I don't like to see something or do something wrong.

But currently with my download speed I can download directly with my browser a single 500mb file, yes? Depending on the website the speed usually caps out but that leaves plenty to spare. I have in the past (and hopefully I just wasn't imagining it) done several of these files at once through my browser, rather than wait for them to download one at a time. To me, and I will definitely say I have a derpish mind, but to me it stands to reason that if your bandwidth and overall download speed can handle it you could download 2-3 200 mb updates with RPmod simultaneously and it would be much faster.

Now, my body is ready for the explanation of how wrong I am.....I speak these thoughts wholly aware of how uninformed I sound :cry:
Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

Well, I've never experienced being throttled on single file downloads. And that's with 10 megabyte/sec downloads. As I don't suppose that a significant number of people here are under contract with Google Fiber to surpass those speeds, it'd be plenty work for Soh to accommodate a significantly low number of people that could benefit from it.

Truth be told, it'll only be a matter of maybe ten minutes if you're really optimistic. Patience is virtue.
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Serir Vun wrote:Depending on the website the speed usually caps out but that leaves plenty to spare. I have in the past (and hopefully I just wasn't imagining it) done several of these files at once through my browser, rather than wait for them to download one at a time. To me, and I will definitely say I have a derpish mind, but to me it stands to reason that if your bandwidth and overall download speed can handle it you could download 2-3 200 mb updates with RPmod simultaneously and it would be much faster.
This isn't wrong in the general case when your are downloading from multiple servers and each of them has a smaller bandwidth than your own connection. But in the case of our web site, there is only 1 server with a 100 Mbps connection. Either your connection is faster than that, and no matter how many files you try to download in parallel, the same server will already have reached its limit, or your connection is slower and a single file will be downloaded at your maximum speed... so downloading several in parallel wouldn't change anything. :)
Serir Vun
Lost One

Post by Serir Vun »

::Resists to make a Soh Wraung joke::

Well, I stand corrected then. Thanks ! =)