Changing Lightsaber Styles

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

Re: Changing Lightsaber Styles

Post by Sirius Invictus »

Fair enough. Honestly, whatever Soh says on that aspect. I am fine as long as we don't sabotage ourselves.
|| Name: Sirius Invictus || Species: Human || Homeworld: Vlemoth Port || Birth: 360.09 ABY || Initiation: 372.10 ABY || || Apprenticed: 373.09 ABY || Knighted: 384.30 ABY || Mastered: 410.13 ABY || Mentor: Delmi N'jork || Apprentices: Kiara O'ren, Rukia, Vale Sutherblaze ||
Rothel Janoo
Lost One

Post by Rothel Janoo »

I agree heavily with Aiden on this. Most people who do like to RP (Star Wars RP specifically) haven't even heard of Jedi Academy. I know this because I've visited several Garry's Mod Star Wars RP communities, and only a small handful (about 10 to 20 people out of 185) actually know about Jedi Academy. Advertising would be the best way to catch the attention of RPers, so saying, and notice that this isn't the best way to advertise, I'm just giving an example, "Hey! How would you like to RP with a community that uses the game with the best saber mechanics ever, and modifies those base mechanics so they're even better?" sounds more interesting than "Hey. How would you like to join our Jedi Academy RP community?", which is what we would say if RPmod stays BaseJKA compatible.
Last edited by Rothel Janoo on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Qi'la Mydanil
Lost One

Post by Qi'la Mydanil »

Rothel Janoo wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:10 pm "Hey! How would you like to RP with a community that uses the game with the best saber mechanics ever, and modifies those base mechanics so they're even better?" sounds more interesting than "Hey. How would you like to join our Jedi Academy RP community?", which is what we would say if RPmod stays BaseJKA compatible.
Nope nope nope

If you want to advertise a community based on realistic and immersive Jedi roleplay with game mechanics, you shouldn't focus on the mechanics aspect. Imagine accepting members only for them to spar all day because "we made the saber stuff better for us".
If you want to advertise JEDI, remember what it is really about!
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

Qi'la Mydanil wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm Nope nope nope

If you want to advertise a community based on realistic and immersive Jedi roleplay with game mechanics, you shouldn't focus on the mechanics aspect. Imagine accepting members only for them to spar all day because "we made the saber stuff better for us".
If you want to advertise JEDI, remember what it is really about!
Couldn't have said it better myself :+1:
|| Name: Sirius Invictus || Species: Human || Homeworld: Vlemoth Port || Birth: 360.09 ABY || Initiation: 372.10 ABY || || Apprenticed: 373.09 ABY || Knighted: 384.30 ABY || Mastered: 410.13 ABY || Mentor: Delmi N'jork || Apprentices: Kiara O'ren, Rukia, Vale Sutherblaze ||
Teynara Jeralyr
Lost One

Post by Teynara Jeralyr »

Can we pull this back to the suggestion, please? Going off on a bit of a tangent...
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I'm kind of conflicted by this. On one hand, I would really encourage people to simply RP the form you are learning/using/mastered, but then again that would leave the majority of JEDI as Ataru users. I get that in the heat of a spar or mission, we still react somewhat OOCly and want to stay alive, do something cool or simply not fail.

It'd be cool to have each form purchasable (which would help with people not claiming to know forms they haven't really studied and practiced), but then again I'd personally want to each one to look different and have perks that reflect the style and ideals of the form. I understand that that would be quite a undertaking between coding and potential animation changes.

As I understand it, Soh (at least in the past) has insisted that RPMod stay base compatible which, in my opinion, makes it much harder to move past where RPMod is now (imagine different lightsaber forms, additional weapons and Force Powers, the list goes on!). Personally, I'd for one hate to see the whole stamina/manual blocking system to be implemented. I think that the majority of our actions should be based on our RP rather than game mechanics.

I think right now our first step is to see what Soh thinks and what he might be willing to do or change.

Just my thoughts :)
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Aiden Kezeron
Lost One

Post by Aiden Kezeron »

I've actually tried to advocate for the whole "7 Saber Forms" albeit we're no longer base compatible. Which is close to what you were saying Delmi. We don't really need the whole stamina thing either if we include Manual blocking as long as we keep it simplified and without the whole need of stamina. (Some mods like LegacyOJP have done this where it's simply one button is needed to block, but it means you can't attack. Making it more about timing to get a true counter rather than what MB2 does.) However, we don't even need manual blocking.

I just liked the idea of having the forms we're always teaching people. I also liked how you stated it would keep people from claiming a form they may not know, or practically throw out the window in the sight of danger.

OJP had a system that punished you for that unless you used Ataru which mitigated loss of Force and Stamina pool for the use of acrobatics.

However, I do not want the slap or knockback system from OJP. It was stuff like that which made Makashi the most overpowered form(Basically just Tavion), because it would instantly trip you, leaving you open to just die.

Even if we don't go for this, I doubt we can stay base compatible for much longer.

|Name: Aiden Kezeron||Age: 46||Birthdate:341.04 |
|Homeplanet(s): Cathar, Naboo|
|Initiated:349.03||Padawaned:350.20||Knighted:370.14|
|Padawan(s): Maeve Lothaire, Lystra Hale|

Adrianna

Trin Oniron
Lost One

Post by Trin Oniron »

I agree to the fact that desann and tavion styles need to be nerfed for a better use ingame and more variety. However, for me there is no need to change the game mechanic more to display the forms porperly. Most of them aren't that hard to perform without the help of a particular stance, moves or swing speed. Just be creative.

◄▌Name : Trin OnironAge : 42Birthdate : 345.19▐►
◄▌Homeplanet : NagiInitiated : 357.21Apprenticed : 358.22▐►
◄▌Mentor : Rehkea'sitra, Isane Fenris, Jerex Sol▐►◄▌Padawan : Kir Darnic▐►

Teynara Jeralyr
Lost One

Post by Teynara Jeralyr »

I also don't think we need to add forms - those can be practiced with most any of the stances, if you RP it out properly, and people should feel free to be able to do that.

Bringing IV/V in line with the others would help in that respect (and provide more variety). If it were possible to make each stance a stand-alone purchase, that would also help, since you wouldn't need to buy four others to obtain a suitably-nerfed Desaan stance, if that suits your technique better.
Sirius Invictus
Lost One

In my own opinion, bringing any other outside lightsaber combat system totally defeats the purpose and goal of this community.

This place bloomed from an expert dueling environment, yes. Now, it is far from that. It is something else. Something more at that. We are here to RP. We are here to allow each and every one the opportunity to play, interact with this world. The world we keep alive and busy to the best of our ability.

A form can, and should be ::RP:: 'ed first and click'ed second. Sparring, wordless one at that, is a form of minigame that exists within ::JEDI::. Since we are not enemies with each other; since the majority of the time, if we face an enemy on the field, the 'dueling' factor is far more different. As there is talking and RP and so on and so forth; sparring has been used as a way of passing time, getting to know others (question spars) and lessons.

The above needs not elaborate forms and gameplay mechanics. The only reason this was brought forth was to elevate the immersion of an individual by making it possible for them to acquire their preferred 'set' of animations. One that is already there, in the base game, albeit beyond their reach.

The goal should be to make the forms as equal as possible, yes, even if that means that some will suck compared to previously or some will be better and for people to make a choice of their preferred sets of animation to RP with. I cannot stress that enough. One should be given the opportunity to RP a warrior if they so like. Yes people have managed to become excellent at the gameplay mechanics, but one should not be limited by doing so in order to RP a character.

Everything should be reachable and obtainable (within normal means) through RP. Otherwise, we might as well put a subtitle on our banner, saying that this is a dueling community as well.

Combat should be yet another medium to assist the storytelling. It should be used as an extra function, as an animation, as emsit is used. As how one might prefer emsit10 to emsit5 for instance. It's there to assist our own RP. It is not there, nor should it be there to fall back on and do only that.
Heron Liagri
Lost One

Post by Heron Liagri »

As much as It doesn't bother me whether something gets added to the mod or not, because we're here to roleplay- I feel like I needed to reply with something.

So, with what we have now, we could easily portray all the forms without unlocking all the stances(in my opinion). I understand the power difference in each stance, and how nerfing them could help in some way. Anytime I think of them being unlocked though, I just think of a 65% model scale kid running at me with desann or tavion, and it just looks goofy in thought. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but I'm saying if it's to be gone through with there will need to be some restriction with it of course.

Now onto the fact the people always say, 'sparring is OOC', it's the community that's making it that way. Especially those that say they're practicing a form, and don't even attempt one bit of it. I've seen people say, "I'm using soresu" then turn force speed on and rush at their opponent. If there were some sort of etiquette or rule set in place to roleplay it correctly, then we wouldn't have an 'sparring is ooc' problem. All Jedi do is train, whether it's meditation, learning a new force power, sparring, and etc. When we are roleplaying our characters, that's literally their downtime for when they aren't training or outside of the temple(besides missions that you actively rp). Not to mention we're using a game that's known for its combat system, so if it's that big of an issue lets just switch to text rp.

Advertising this game can bring in a lot of different people, so you'd need not advertise just the RP, but both aspects. Some people might have checked it out and said, "wow all these guys do is go in the cantina everyday and talk about the same stuff." or, "wow all these guys do is go in the training wing in spar.". Each side has their pros and cons.
It's your Tyranny that drives me, adds the fire to my flame.
Aiden Kezeron
Lost One

Post by Aiden Kezeron »

Heron Liagri wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:17 am Advertising this game can bring in a lot of different people, so you'd need not advertise just the RP, but both aspects. Some people might have checked it out and said, "wow all these guys do is go in the cantina everyday and talk about the same stuff." or, "wow all these guys do is go in the training wing in spar.". Each side has their pros and cons.

This is one thing I definitely understand. It's not that I don't like doing grandiose things either, but Jedi are supposed to help people. Even without this being the wanted outcome, we've turned into a caricature of the Jedi during the Mandalorian Wars/ and Jedi Civil Wars.

I say this because Heranae is supposedly riddled with villainy and crime, and even expanding, but we don't do anything about it. We're more concerned with moving or handling something off planet. Before anyone says "Why don't you do something yourself" isn't the whole idea of Jedi acting together our purpose? Not just a bunch of Knights acting on their own to rid the galaxy of its problems? Jedi's don't really favor Vigilante's because we're already supposed to be servicing others with our aid.

To stay on topic though, I brought this up because of advertising, and if we shown the initiate to capitalize on all fronts especially world building, then we'd have more to offer. Some people who join might want to be apart of those kinds of fields of just writing.

|Name: Aiden Kezeron||Age: 46||Birthdate:341.04 |
|Homeplanet(s): Cathar, Naboo|
|Initiated:349.03||Padawaned:350.20||Knighted:370.14|
|Padawan(s): Maeve Lothaire, Lystra Hale|

Adrianna