Grab/Pull/Push and You

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Grab/Pull/Push and You

Post by Jenny Wrix »

I have multiple suggestions here that are all based on one topic, manipulating objects without using the standard push/pull with force powers. This would be good for guests or accounts that just plain don't have force powers to do these things.

Grabbing
Basically a command that you could bind to a key which would pick up objects that are small enough to be picked up. The average small green crate would be something you could pick up using this. But to add more realism you cant just pick it up while standing so crouch, press the button, and you pick up the object to walk around with. Perhaps a matching animation that looks like you're holding it in front of you.

Pushing/Pulling
Almost like grabbing but you don't lift objects off the ground, you just slide them around using this command (obviously). I always thought this would be nice instead of people kicking boxes around with your feet.

Player Grabbing
This would be a consent kind of command, one player would allow consent of being grabbed and the other would simply use the command. If you've ever played splinter cell or seen someone sneak up behind a guard and pull him into a dark area to knock him out, this would be good just for that.

Weapon Pickup
This isn't like the other ones but I thought this would add some realism, instead of magically picking up items by walking over them there should be some way you have to crouch down in order to have them picked up so it doesn't look like you picked it up with your feet, not sure if this is possible though.
Tyren Nayrus
Lost One

Post by Tyren Nayrus »

/supportifpossible
Name: Tyren Nayrus | Species: Zeltron | Age: 11 | Mentor(s): None |
Skin Link
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Tyren Nayrus wrote:/supportifpossible
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Delmi wrote:
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Delmi wrote:
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Ruluk
Lost One

Re: Grab/Pull/Push and You

Post by Ruluk »

C-C-COMBO breaker!
Jenny Wrix wrote:Player Grabbing
This would be a consent kind of command, one player would allow consent of being grabbed and the other would simply use the command. If you've ever played splinter cell or seen someone sneak up behind a guard and pull him into a dark area to knock him out, this would be good just for that.
The grabbing already exists, if you think about it. But, to make this suggestion possible (if I understand right, it's practically grabbing without throwing), make the throwing be activated via another click or something like that.

To make myself clearer, here goes the example: You press the two clicks (right+left) to grab as usual. Then, the model grabs the other model BUT holds him. To throw, press another click. If you don't, you can still move while still holding the other player. To release, just scroll the mouse wheel as usual.

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Ruluk wrote:To make myself clearer, here goes the example: You press the two clicks (right+left) to grab as usual. Then, the model grabs the other model BUT holds him. To throw, press another click. If you don't, you can still move while still holding the other player. To release, just scroll the mouse wheel as usual.
This is a good idea, but with such ideas there will be people that want one or the other. So lets have both. TOGGLE
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

I don't see how one more click can affect your gameplay, since, after all, you already GRABBED the other player. But, if people start complaining... then go ahead with the almightly toggle request.

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Everything listed I like and support.

It could be possible to 'halt' the melee grab/throw attack+animation until a second buttonpress/click is made. (Left click=release, right click=throw.)

The only thing I hesitate on is the weapons. The whole point being that you don't 'accidentally' pick up a weapon. I think this would be better achieved by either making droppable items static, or finding a way to simply turn off weapon pick-ups. If it's the visual that bothers you, make a .holster file that doesn't display any guns whatsoever.

Overall, there's a lot of ways you could go about the weapon idea, but in the long run (unless it's particularly easy to code) I'm not yet sure if the effort would outweigh the gain.

Great thinking! Keep 'em coming!

Atrux Nuro
Lost One

Post by Atrux Nuro »

I don't think it would be possible without a better class system. We are limited with JKA, while it's a good idea, I think it's better left the way it is.
Species: Lorrdian|Age: 41|Height: 1.88 M|Weight: 93 KG|Birthdate: .02|Mentor(s): Coren Ran// Roan Takk

"I'm willing to die for my beliefs. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Rash Loist for Jedi Master level 2
Avaeth

Post by Avaeth »

I've had this idea for some time now, but I thought it was already requested, so I never made a topic about it. I fully support this even though there are bad sides of it - you can't turn the object if you wanted to.
Avaeth

Post by Avaeth »

On second thought, (and post) there might be a way to do that. With new stepleft - stepright while grabbing animations and the way current npcs turn when you 'use' them. It could be added to your mouse.