Spawning and Auto Downloads

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Riki Naoe

Spawning and Auto Downloads

Post by Riki Naoe »

I thought it would be easier to put both of my ideas into one topic. Let's start with spawning.

Would it be possible to have hopefuls with an account to spawn in the guest room? From my view, if I see a hopeful with an account, I assume they're staying somewhere. Those without, it's possible they're new, so I get why they spawn at the entrance.

Auto Downloads, not much if an idea, but just wondering. Why can't it be turned on? Just in case someone is missing a file they cannot seem to get from the forums.
Human, male. Twelve years old. Suspected loli hunter.

Skin
Jason Vi'Duo

Re: Spawning and Auto Downloads

Post by Jason Vi'Duo »

Riki Naoe wrote: Would it be possible to have hopefuls with an account to spawn in the guest room? From my view, if I see a hopeful with an account, I assume they're staying somewhere. Those without, it's possible they're new, so I get why they spawn at the entrance.
/Support

Riki Naoe wrote: Auto Downloads, not much if an idea, but just wondering. Why can't it be turned on? Just in case someone is missing a file they cannot seem to get from the forums.
I wouldn't see why a file would not be found on the forums or website. But i think this would be good for the Galaxy server so we don't have any trouble with people and Maps.
| Name: ---- | Age: ----- | Gender: ------ | Species: ------- | Rank: None |
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I do support the idea about hopefuls spawning in the hopeful dorms, just like Initiates and Padawans spawn in their respective dorms. If they have an account, you would think they mean to remain, so I personally have to agree.. Would be nice.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

I've had this discussion with Aayla before, she said they will NOT be moving the guest spawn, so you will just have to put up with it as it is.

The reason they won't move it is because guests (new comers) will come on via the main entrance so they want them to spawn there by the desk, anyway, instead of going to the dorm each time, just RP waking up and leaving the dorm one you reach the junction that leads to the upper level or the main desk.

Simple! ;)
Riki Naoe

Post by Riki Naoe »

Yeah, that's why I said for hopefuls with an account :p they only need to come through the entrance once and that's when they're new, right? Or leaving the temple.

Skin
Phillip Braden

Post by Phillip Braden »

It would mean having to wait for the next release of the mod, plus suggesting they make a rank HOPEFUL, which is a waste of time heh.

And since all hopefuls are Ranked as GUESTS or NONE they spawn where all other guest with or w/o accounts spawn.

It's just a simple waste of time....it's not gonna kill you to spend 10 seconds running/walking to the dorm from the entrance....
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Phillip:
#1 Stop answering in such ways, you don't exactly know everything and need to lay off acting as if you do. Some parts you said may be true, yes, but the way you're going about talking to the others is not something you should be doing, definitely since you're not even a member of JEDI yet. So please try to be a bit nicer when you're trying to talk.

Also, you don't have to wait for the next release of the RPMod to do this, that's not correct. All it is is making a spawn point for a specific account level. Simus did it during the mission that made it where all those logged into that youngling profile automatically spawned at the top of the mountain. It's not something that you have to wait for the next release. It's an account/spawn point thing.

Now, as far as I know Hopeful accounts are classified as Guests, yes. However, if you're not logged into an account I don't believe you're given any classification of "rank", because you have no account. So those who are logged in as guests will spawn where the guest spawn point is marked, and those that aren't logged in won't be affected.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

I support this idea, good one Riki. It seems like it would be pretty simple, just give hopefuls their own rank and have it set for spawns. I suppose the council is a little stingy (understandably so) with handing out accounts, especially since half the hopefuls we get end up leaving :(
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Phillip Braden wrote:It would mean having to wait for the next release of the mod, plus suggesting they make a rank HOPEFUL, which is a waste of time heh.
Even if that were so, I'm sure Riki wasn't expecting Soh to click has fingers and make it happen there and then.
As for Making a 'hopeful' rank. We have so many regular guests I wouldn't look upon it as a waste of time. Still, this is one for Soh to mull over.
I like the idea. Not sure we need it but if there is time one saturday morning, after tea and buscuits, and after a quick nap, perhaps Soh could tinker with the idea.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Kharen Aarhan

Post by Kharen Aarhan »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:I support this idea, good one Riki. It seems like it would be pretty simple, just give hopefuls their own rank and have it set for spawns. I suppose the council is a little stingy (understandably so) with handing out accounts, especially since half the hopefuls we get end up leaving :(
Wouldn't it be easier to make an hopeful account for the little ones that go from 5 to 9 years old? This way the council wouldn't have to create more account for the new arrivals (Unless they're +10)

Oh and /Support
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

In my opinion, the maintenance and time-effort necessary for such a thing is not worth the trade-off of supplying the hopeful populace with a "better" spawn location.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

As it is currently, RPMod has 5 fixed ranks: Initiate (1), Padawan (2), Knight (3), Master (4) and Council (5). People without an account and Hopefuls have the same Guest rank (0). There is therefore currently no way to give them a specific spawn location, nor to give them a specific rank between 0 (Guest) and 1 (Initiate). This lack of flexibility is not optimal, and is meant to be resolved in the future.

As for integrated downloads: as far as I remember, there are known server vulnerabilities when this feature is enabled, but anyway it it awfully slow and uses the server's bandwidth. Certain mods have managed to do a kind of HTTP download redirect, although I don't know how. I could try asking someone, but for me this is currently a low priority feature.
Last edited by Soh Raun on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caleb Quintilian
Lost One

Post by Caleb Quintilian »

It could be possible to use a case statement so if they're not one of those ranks yet are logged in they spawn in the Hopeful dorm.
Riki Naoe

Post by Riki Naoe »

Now Soh that's the kind of answer I was expecting :p the suggestion didn't hurt but at least you gave a good explanation.

Skin