Sounds for Force Absorb

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Mortael Toronous

Sounds for Force Absorb

Post by Mortael Toronous »

I don't know about you guys, but I often find it very strange as to why the absorb sound has to be so loud. It doesn't sound very realistic to RP in my opinion. So, here's my opinion; what if this sound were to be changed so that maybe:

1) Either the volume of the sound is lowered somehow.
2) A new sound replaces it.
3) Possibly an optional setting, to somehow deactivate Absorb sounds.
4) The volume is altered and the sound length is reduced. (because the length of the sound is quite long.)

What are your thoughts? I might sound completely stupid, but I think it's slightly disturbing as when you're in a middle of a duel (as I've watched) and you hear these big, crazy noises out of nowhere.
| Name: Mortael Toronous | Age: 5| Date of Birth: --.19 Gender: Male | Species: Near-Human | Rank: None | Homeworld: Dantooine

Skin used: N/A
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

"Power" is often emphasized by sound.
It's like in some space movies with a ship explodes in the distance you hear an instant BANG!!!
In truth, sound would take time to travel to the camera's location so there would be no instant BANG when the ship explodes.
However, in cinema, if there is an explosion and no sound, people would feel less impacted by it and a bit let-down. I'm all for realism in most cases but pursuing Realism relentlessly without faltering can have negative impacts with something that is a Sci-Fi Fantasy.

I agree the noise shouldn't last so long but to mute it entirely for example, would make me feel a bit odd.

The main problem I have with force sound effects is it draws people's attention in RP when really it shouldn't.
Mind trick for example. When people hear that familiar Mind Trick noise, they instantly spin around trying to find the person.

Ahhhh this is a tough one.. I'm half yes, half no!
I think quietening it, as you said, might be a happy medium?
There is always the option of altering your own assets folder to replace the sound with something silent or a quietened version.

Mortael Toronous

"I agree the noise shouldn't last so long but to mute it entirely for example, would make me feel a bit odd."

1) Either the volume of the sound is lowered somehow.
2) A new sound replaces it.
3) Possibly an optional setting, to somehow deactivate Absorb sounds.
4) The volume is altered and the sound length is reduced. (because the length of the sound is quite long.)

I don't want it to be muted entirely for the same reason. Meaning, that I wish for it to be altered.
| Name: Mortael Toronous | Age: 5| Date of Birth: --.19 Gender: Male | Species: Near-Human | Rank: None | Homeworld: Dantooine

Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

It'd be easy to edit these sounds using a program like Audacity to reduce the volume of each file as a temporary fix. However, the force power itself has a looping sound effect.

The sounds are located in:

"assets0.pk3"
sound / weapons / force

The sounds are:

absorb.mp3
absorbhit.mp3
absorbloop.wav

Mortael Toronous

I could personally create some sounds using a synthesiser myself and I could use FL Studio to reduce the volume of those sounds/master them slightly. It depends whether or not it's a good suggestion. :P

Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

You could do it and offer an optional download. A better compromise for those who aren't bothered by the sounds.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Mortael Toronous

Zeak Dystiny wrote:You could do it and offer an optional download. A better compromise for those who aren't bothered by the sounds.
I like the idea of that; because I'm sure a lot of people are comfortable with the sounds as they are. Hmm. Do you reckon I should make an optional sound? I'd be happy to start it right away.

Liezl Myrin

Post by Liezl Myrin »

The mind trick and sense are the most bothersome sounds in RP!
[Lee-zul My-rin][age 20][275.25]So come close, check me out! I'm so hot, bright, & so ready!..You can't let me down, 'Cause I don't have time to be wasting! Let's stick to me, & I'll be alright baby.
Skin 3/6/11
All do nothin. You're going to be waitin a century or more.
Mortael Toronous

Liezl Myrin wrote:The mind trick and sense are the most bothersome sounds in RP!
All right... Hm... If we remove the mind trick sound, other people will not notice that they have been mind tricked. However, rply in the star wars universe, mind tricks are quite basic and cannot work on weak-minded individuals... I'm confusing myself, you may ignore that last sentence if you wish. I would mute the sense sound completely because it's just ridiculous for me as well, it might work better in RP. "I sense so and so." Instead of: "BIG FAT STUPID SOUND" "I sense so and so." (( People turn to the guy who used sense *before* he says it. ))

Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Think that sensing sound has been disabled. If it hasn't, I don't notice it :happy:

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

I think all sounds should be disabled. Except push and pull.

But I don't think that this idea is popular among the other members.
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

To me, less is more.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

If you can edit a skin, you have the potential to edit sounds. Find the appropriate pk3 file, identify which sounds you are a wuss to, and create/find more suitable sounds (I'm partial to a .WAV file that has no sound for 2 seconds), and start a new pk3 with the same directory, and the new sounds named as the sounds you want to change, and save that pk3, naming it as something that will load AFTER the original sounds (e.g. something AFTER assets# or RPmodassets).

Badda-bing! Badda-boom!
Quit yer bitchin'.
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Personally I think all the sounds for Force abilities should be removed, except maybe something like the Force Lightning sound. If you truly pay attention to the movies and such, there is no sound for when you use the Force to jump, to push objects, pull them.. all that stuff. The only sound you really get from a Force power is lightning.

So I personally think all but lightning should get there sounds removed.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

*Ehm* Telekinesis does indeed produce a sound, it's a low-frequency effect imitating a heavy thud of sorts. This can, among other things, be seen in the duel of the fates when Darth Maul pushes down Anakin. And truth be told, protect may very well produce a sound as well, considering it's a barrier of energy that is suddenly generated.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."