Jabber/XMPP

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Jabber/XMPP

Post by Sared Kilvan »

As is the case with most communities, there is a preferred mode of contact around here. Most of us use MSN, some use Xfire. All communities/clans use some form of IM service, but it is always external. Outside of their control. In our case, anyone can create a throwaway MSN/Xfire account.

What if we had a little more control over that?

Most modern chat networks are built using XMPP, an open-source network protocol. With Soh's plans to eventually have a unified JEDI Login for all services (frontpage/wordpress, forums, game, etc.), why not take this a step further and allow RPMod to support it's own XMPP/Jabber network as well? Most if not all multi-client IM programs (Trillian and Pidgn just to name a few) already support it, and it would give each account access to it's own private chat network, capable of user to user IM as well as chatroom hosting. Even if you don't use a multi-client IM program, we could re-package one on our own and even include a custom skin to make it look like a commlink, or datapad or what have you

What it would involve:
Install a Jabber server alongside/integrated with RPMod.
Include an optional pre-configured Jabber client with the RPMod client distro.

What's to gain:
Community communication, independent from any third-party network.
Unique 'user@domain' addresses available for members.
Added layer of RP (WLM being OOC chat, and sared@jediholo.net being for IC chat).
Automated services (bots) that act like NPC's and can have additional dialogged scripted in without having to update the server pk3's, and could even act as a 'secretary' to the Council.

This is obviously a long-term goal, similar to it would be including a phpBB package, or even a pop3/smtp server alongside as configurable options, but what I want to know is this:

Could it work?
and
Is it feasible?

Please keep in mind that I am not suggesting this solely for our own private use, but for later on down the line when RPMod is released publicly.

Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

<3
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Mortael Toronous

Post by Mortael Toronous »

This sounds good. Could you go into more detail about what this is about? I've never really heard about this 'Jabber Server' or whatever it is. It sounds good, but are there any faults; could this affect the server in any way? (I'm slightly confused as to how it works, unless I misread something.
| Name: Mortael Toronous | Age: 5| Date of Birth: --.19 Gender: Male | Species: Near-Human | Rank: None | Homeworld: Dantooine

Skin used: N/A
Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

No.

It's easy enough for me to sign into msn and have jka in windowed mode.

It's just not worth it for me, however I can't speak for others.
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I believe all that Sared is suggesting is something like a personal IM program ability for the JEDI community, and if it works well it could be used with the RPMod when released to the public.

Jabber and all that stuff is essentially like MSN, IRC, etc.. if I am remembering correctly that is.

Personally, I like the idea of this. It can give a pleasant feeling to everything. Now, obviously I still would simply use MSN and if this is to try and replace MSN in the way we communicate with each other outside of the server then I must say no to this. Even if we used our Datapads, IC-wise we shouldn't be able to speak with each other in such a fashion such as IM systems.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I'm naturally skeptical about anything that could prove as a distraction from Role Play.

It would be "cool" to say something like that could be done. But that's purely speaking on principle.

I'd argue it's not really needed.
You've got to balance the effort required to research and implement this with what would be gained by the end result.

Not really my call.
Soh's input would be valuable here

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Support
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Re: Jabber/XMPP

Post by Soh Raun »

Sared Kilvan wrote:Could it work?
and
Is it feasible?
Yes and yes.

More on this in due time. :)
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

I personally don't mind using MSN for all of this, going windowed mode, and etcetera. But, a good argument you have is: "Please keep in mind that I am not suggesting this solely for our own private use, but for later on down the line when RPMod is released publicly."

For a wide-scale RPMod, this could prove quite a nice addition. And, if people here get to use it, I'll obviously join in.

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I would for sure use it.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Mortael Toronous

Post by Mortael Toronous »

I am not really keen on the thought of window mode myself... Any IM chat I do whilst playing JKA is usually held VIA xfire for me.
| Name: Mortael Toronous | Age: 5| Date of Birth: --.19 Gender: Male | Species: Near-Human | Rank: None | Homeworld: Dantooine

Skin used: N/A
Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

I would use it as long as conversations could be private and weren't logged like the server. I use Trillian for more than just JEDI related projects.
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Ohhhh the ((mt))'s that we'll see!!

Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

Vantus wrote:Ohhhh the ((mt))'s that we'll see!!
That would be quite hilarious lol
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Cynthia wrote:No.

It's easy enough for me to sign into msn and have jka in windowed mode.

It's just not worth it for me, however I can't speak for others.
Aurien Uriah wrote:I would use it as long as conversations could be private and weren't logged like the server. I use Trillian for more than just JEDI related projects.
Vantus wrote:Ohhhh the ((mt))'s that we'll see!!

<3

Me at work.