Extended Key Binds

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Vantus
Lost One

Extended Key Binds

Post by Vantus »

This may have been asked before but if it has, I couldn't find it in the list.
Apologies if it has.

I'm not sure if it is already possible within JKA to assign binds to key combinations. If not I believe it would prove useful.

For example:

/bind ctrl+t emsit.
/bind f+g emhello

With the admin comands and emotes list becoming so extended, it would be great to be able to make more use of keyboard shortcuts.

Of course the player would need to be responsible for selecting what keys they use. Everyone's controls are different so it would be silly to use "ctrl+t" if ctrl is your jump button. That wouldn't work.

JKA already acknowledges certain key combinations, such as shift+` for the console. I'm maybe being presumptuous but shouldn't this allow for other combinations?

-Vantus

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Good thinking. Support.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

I'm thinking for a broader use as well.

For example, think about binding various levels of push to different keys.

So say you have Push 5 which is normally used by pressing 1 on your keyboard.
Imagine you wanted to use Push at level 2 so that you don't blast the room without having to change your template.
You could bind shift+1 to use Push level 1.

If possible this could be set up like the following:

/bind 1 force_throw5
/bind shift+1 force_throw2

This might be branching off into a different suggestion, but is very much part of its extended use.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Actually, that's already possible, Vantus:

\clientinfo

Then copy the line of text for Force Powers - it's a set of numbers.

Bind it using \bind <key> seta forcepowers <numbers>

That'll switch your Force Power settings to match their current config. When you want to alter it, simply change them in the menu and bind that as well, to a different key. That way I switch between Push 5 and 4 with one button, just as with Lightning 2 and 4...
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Aslyn wrote:Actually, that's already possible, Vantus:

\clientinfo

That'll switch your Force Power settings to match their current config. When you want to alter it, simply change them in the menu and bind that as well, to a different key. That way I switch between Push 5 and 4 with one button, just as with Lightning 2 and 4...
Do you mean like /write and /exec?
If so, those have other effects such as changing your skin to whatever you had on during /write. (Unless that's also been changed.)

This was just another use I thought of for extended keybinds.
It would save swapping templates around if each power (and preceding levels) were bindable without swapping configs. Having multiple sets of configs can get messy too, especially when you start rearranging keys on one and then have to do the same for all others.

Having key-combination binds was my real suggestion.

Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

Vantus wrote:
Aslyn wrote:Actually, that's already possible, Vantus:

\clientinfo

Do you mean like /write and /exec?
If so, those have other effects such as changing your skin to whatever you had on during /write. (Unless that's also been changed.)

This was just another use I thought of for extended keybinds.
It would save swapping templates around if each power (and preceding levels) were bindable without swapping configs. Having multiple sets of configs can get messy too, especially when you start rearranging keys on one and then have to do the same for all others.

Having key-combination binds was my real suggestion.
I *love* this idea! Besides just push5 it should make a difference on hold 4-5 as well, since the differences between those and 3 are extreme, just like the dfferences between push 4-5
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Vantus wrote:Do you mean like /write and /exec?
Nope - the bind I've suggested there ONLY alters your Force Template.

For example:

\bind <key> seta forcepowers 7-1-030444520240004333 sets my Force Push to Push 4, leaving the rest of my template unchanged. Then using

\bind <key> seta forcepowers 7-1-030544520240004333 sets Push to 5, leaving everything else unchanged.
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Aslyn wrote: Nope - the bind I've suggested there ONLY alters your Force Template.

For example:

\bind <key> seta forcepowers 7-1-030444520240004333 sets my Force Push to Push 4, leaving the rest of my template unchanged. Then using

\bind <key> seta forcepowers 7-1-030544520240004333 sets Push to 5, leaving everything else unchanged.
Oh I follow now.
That's actually very useful to know. Thanks Aslyn! :)

Now the question I'm really asking is:

Can the example of \bind <key> seta forcepowers 7-1-030444520240004333 be bound to ctrl+g or alt+8 or shift+F3?
Last edited by Vantus on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

/support :D
Alkur Tekeil
Exiled

Post by Alkur Tekeil »

I'd call these "compound" binds. And while I'm no expert with the engine, I'm quite certain that its a matter of the engine functionality, which I don't think can be altered.

Feel free to make a fool of me by proving me wrong, though (because compound binds would be great).