Telekinesis Pack?

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Telekinesis Pack?

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

I was discussing this with Simus the otherday-game mechanics greatly cripples our actions when it comes to Force powers we know but the xp system prevents us from using.

For example, all of Baelin's telekinetic abilities are (rp-wise) at level two at least, and because of mechanics he must be emped (when there is a knight on that would do it) to use powers he already knows.

Would it be possible to combine Force power purchases for things that are linked such as telekinesis purchases? I wouldn't make this a default option, but rather toggleable by a padawan's Master depending on his skill level with Telekinesis. Further, could it be implemented in a way that wouldn't affect XP amounts (so it wouldn't throw the level system out of wack)??
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Absolutely not going to agree with that one.
Vantus
Lost One

Re: Telekinesis Pack?

Post by Vantus »

Baelin Raddyx wrote: because of mechanics he must be emped (when there is a knight on that would do it) to use powers he already knows.
Baelin Raddyx wrote: I wouldn't make this a default option, but rather toggleable by a padawan's Master
Aren't these the EXACT same things only worded differently?

I don't see what benefit this would have.

If you're RPing having more abilities than you can actually perform, then I'd say it's a sure sign that you need to slooow things down a bit or get to practicing more in character to merit receiving XP to boost these RP'd skills. That is, if performing them as a game mechanic is really what you want.
This suggestion is kind of like asking for dessert before you've had your dinner.

Slow and steady wins the race and all that. :)
Last edited by Vantus on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Why not just save up for them?

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Aslyn wrote:Absolutely not going to agree with that one.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

It sounds to me like the system isn't actually broken, you're just letting yourself become a slave to the system instead of making it work for you.

Some of your options:
  • Save up your XP,
  • Speak very nicely to your Master about tweaking your template so it reflects your character's strengths,
  • Do a heck of a lot more action-ing.

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Azrael wrote:
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

I'm not on board with this.
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip
Mortael Toronous

Post by Mortael Toronous »

I believe that having push/pull/hold combined would make the system worse. As everybody would be throwing people around using hold and abusing the powers much more often. Push is perhaps the most basic of them all and pull takes slightly more concentration and hold is advanced; I reckon. Also, it would ruin the aspect of learning the powers and having this nice feeling that one day you'll learn to use them. Other than getting them instantly and just ruining the sense of reward.
| Name: Mortael Toronous | Age: 5| Date of Birth: --.19 Gender: Male | Species: Near-Human | Rank: None | Homeworld: Dantooine

Skin used: N/A
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

It's not an issue of abuse.

Not at all.

Your template dictates your roleplay.

Not the other way around.

If I only have mind trick one, I can't dominate the minds of individuals or hide in the Force.

If I have Jump one, I can't clear a 75 foot gap in a single leap.

If I have push 1, I can't throw a room full of jerks onto their backsides.

Which isn't to say that individuals are confined within their template. Many of us have 'roleplay' powers that aren't governed by the mechanics of the game and are acted out. These powers are often ancillary, non-combat oriented powers that give our characters flavor.

Not an excuse to make us exceptionally strong or promote us far beyond what our capacity would be according to our training and/or template.
Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

Tomoran wrote:It's not an issue of abuse.

Not at all.

If I only have mind trick one, I can't dominate the minds of individuals or hide in the Force.

Which isn't to say that individuals are confined within their template. Many of us have 'roleplay' powers that aren't governed by the mechanics of the game and are acted out. These powers are often ancillary, non-combat oriented powers that give our characters flavor.

Not an excuse to make us exceptionally strong or promote us far beyond what our capacity would be according to our training and/or template.
I agree with most of that.

It's cool if you just want to Role play your template, but if you'd be happy with Role playing a template, then maybe you should stick with pen and paper Role Play like D&D. I don't see the point in having a template if you are going to ignore it and say you have an "invisible force field" or little Jimmy didn't tag you because your on base. People need to work on short comings more. Seems like everyone is focused on strengths. EVERYONE makes mistakes. That's my two cents though.
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Vantus
Lost One

Post by Vantus »

Aurien Uriah wrote: People need to work on short comings more. Seems like everyone is focused on strengths. EVERYONE makes mistakes.
Clap clap clap clap clap!! :)
+10 points.

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Aurien Uriah wrote:
Tomoran wrote:It's not an issue of abuse.

Not at all.

I agree with most of that.

It's cool if you just want to Role play your template, but if you'd be happy with Role playing a template, then maybe you should stick with pen and paper Role Play like D&D. I don't see the point in having a template if you are going to ignore it and say you have an "invisible force field" or little Jimmy didn't tag you because your on base. People need to work on short comings more. Seems like everyone is focused on strengths. EVERYONE makes mistakes. That's my two cents though.
I don't see where I advocated only using a template and/or not promoting character weaknesses.
Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

Me either. Notice there's an extra line separating the two trains of thought.
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I figured the 'agree with most of that' segued into the next part. No matter.

Character Flaws are important. Without them, you can't relate to the individuals and they become boring.