Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

No.

Just save up for 'em
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

The fact is, when you are training, you can't add everything you learn regardless of if you want to or not. Sure you can action it, but that isn't the reason I made this thread.

Let's say a master teaches a padawan other abilities and focuses on putting things towards offense or something, and he's been using telekinesis for years, simply because he doesn't apply the xp towards those powers doesn't diminish the fact that he has more power in that then mechanics dictate.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

If you place your xp in the right places it shouldn't be a problem.
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:The fact is, when you are training, you can't add everything you learn regardless of if you want to or not. Sure you can action it, but that isn't the reason I made this thread.

Let's say a master teaches a padawan other abilities and focuses on putting things towards offense or something, and he's been using telekinesis for years, simply because he doesn't apply the xp towards those powers doesn't diminish the fact that he has more power in that then mechanics dictate.
You should've opened with, "My opinion is" instead of "The fact is"

And you can certainly add everything you learn. There are Knights who have vast swaths of points un-allocated because they've got more points than they have decided to represent that their character has learned. You can have too many points. You can have how many points your character needs.

If you play your character such that they don't have enough points to represent the abilities you're giving them then slow down.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Tomoran wrote:
And you can certainly add everything you learn. There are Knights who have vast swaths of points un-allocated because they've got more points than they have decided to represent that their character has learned. You can have too many points. You can have how many points your character needs.
Point being, as a student, little knowledge which builds up over time. Later, progress becomes more natural as you have more or less truly mastered the basics, while as a student, we are still learning even years in.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Aurien Uriah
Lost One

Post by Aurien Uriah »

Invest

1: to commit (money) in order to earn a financial return

2: to make use of for future benefits or advantages <invested>
There's a downside to almost every power we pick to buy in RPmod, much like life. For example: You can body build in real life with the intent to be the "Strongest fighter ever", however the downside would be restricted movement and agility. In JKA you have you sacrifice one power for another. Simple concept. Easy to discern the difference.

That being said, I don't understand why someone would RP ability and ignore a template. If Azrael mind tricked Aurien in a spar with level 2 mind trick and Aurien had level 2 sense, Should I pretend he can't sense Azrael because Azrael says he's the best Jedi ever and invented Atomic Force?

Answer: Hella no.

Some might think I'm a little off topic, but if you eliminate the imaginary progress; the suggestion isn't needed.
"...Yeah, we do need better brand awareness."

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

It's also worth noting that you can develop your abilities progressively - it's possible to learn a new Force ability in a single lesson (or so most students like to posit!), but in truth, developing that skill to a proficient level (i.e. where you can use it as much as you like) takes time. If you've been taught a skill, great. RP yourself practising it. By the time you've become proficient, you'll likely also have the XP available to buy it.

But, seriously, we're not going to just give you skills because you've RPed learning them but don't have the XP to afford them. By our reckoning, when you've got the XP, you're considered as having learned the skill (although we've seen a lot of incidents in the past where the students has not RPed learning a skill, but purchased it anyway).
Ruluk
Lost One

Post by Ruluk »

Aslyn wrote:(although we've seen a lot of incidents in the past where the students has not RPed learning a skill, but purchased it anyway).
A LOT, if I must say. Roleplay in terms of Force powers, both game-mechanical and "roleplayed", is quite weak to most. Some don't bother at all. :shock:

Most of you know that I am quite realist, a tad to the extreme, of these types of things. Since most of you probably don't like it/don't care/don't want my opinions, I'll leave it at the short version: No, advancing through these things would never be that easy, neither for basic nor for advanced techniques.

Jedi Padawan | Birth 275.08 | Initiation 280.31 | Master Fane Ornn'ila

Let's celebrate cause I've been with you guys for a RL year already! :D (not necessarily active all the time, but still!)
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Vantus wrote:
Aurien Uriah wrote: People need to work on short comings more. Seems like everyone is focused on strengths. EVERYONE makes mistakes.
Clap clap clap clap clap!! :)
+10 points.
Agree agree agree!

Flaws give people character.

Species: Ryn

Mortael Toronous

Post by Mortael Toronous »

Nastajja Arren wrote:
Vantus wrote:
Aurien Uriah wrote: People need to work on short comings more. Seems like everyone is focused on strengths. EVERYONE makes mistakes.
Clap clap clap clap clap!! :)
+10 points.
Agree agree agree!

Flaws give people character.
I double you on this; I'd also feel less unique were this powers to become used by nearly everybody and it could essentially ruin the aspect of team-RP and in essence bonding with other characters.. Yes, I like flaws in people because they give you meaning and an objective. Furthermore, it feels good to accomplish in gaining a force power other than getting it almost immeditately. (As I've said before, I think.)
| Name: Mortael Toronous | Age: 5| Date of Birth: --.19 Gender: Male | Species: Near-Human | Rank: None | Homeworld: Dantooine

Skin used: N/A