Mind Trick NPC Support

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Mind Trick NPC Support

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Just been testing Mind Trick versus the Cloaking Device, and I've noticed - the NPCs actively respond to a Mind Trick (i.e. it doesn't work), but they won't respond to an active Cloaking Device (despite the fact that it's much easier to spot someone using that). Is it me, or is that a little odd?

And, yes, I know everyone'll instantly observe that a Force Cloak/Mind Trick wouldn't effect an NPC/Hologram, but Photokinetic Cloaking would, and that's all wrapped up in the same skill. Was just thinking it might be useful if Mind Trick/Cloak was actually a viable skill for RP work - particularly when we're using NPCs in missions and the like, and would like an alternative to simply charging in with a lightsaber or throwing them off a ledge.

Would it be possible to have NPCs ignore a player actively Mind Tricking them/Cloaking?
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

I think I've actually suggested this twice and I don't recall getting an answer about it one way or another but I totally support this
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I'm in support of this although i've never played with Mind Trick in RPmod.
(As it's mostly used for "Jack-in-the-box" RP :P )

I could see it becoming a much more valuable skill this way for missions.
It would be nice to actually be able to see STEALTH in missions for a change!

Currently, as mentioned, it doesn't work on NPCs and most players apparently find that it's below their station to "act dumb" for the benefit of others.

/Support!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I could see it becoming a much more valuable skill this way for missions.

Currently, as mentioned, it doesn't work on NPCs and most players apparently find that it's below their station to "act dumb" for the benefit of others.

/Support!
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

Illrian Damaris wrote:
Amoné Fayden wrote:I could see it becoming a much more valuable skill this way for missions.

/Support!
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter.
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

/support

In base or JA+ it can be a pain trying to avoid being slaughtered by an aggressive npc cos using a cloaking field in your inventory doesn't work, they still know where you are...
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I'd love to see this.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Kenta
Lost One

Post by Kenta »

Got my vote, it'd be a big help on stealth missions as then we could replace a lack of attendance with NPCs guarding certain locations, knowing we at least have a means of avoiding them.
RP Age: 126 Next Birthday: 371.1
Stupid is a disease spreading at an alarming rate. - Kenta
Ctathos
Lost One

Post by Ctathos »

I'd add a powerful (lvl 4+) should give you direct control if the NPC is targeted, like in JK2 SP.

Rulan Var

Post by Rulan Var »

What would be cool is if like in base you can use mind trick on terrain, objects and such to distract their attention and sneak past them "Ben Kenobi" style. Mind tricking them so that they cant see you at all, and walking right infront of them sounds too easy and not as fun as actually having to cause a distraction and slip past them. Maybe second to last level can be used to shroud yourself and last level can be used to control the NPC as stated above.
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Rulan Var wrote:What would be cool is if like in base you can use mind trick on terrain, objects and such to distract their attention and sneak past them "Ben Kenobi" style. Mind tricking them so that they cant see you at all, and walking right infront of them sounds too easy and not as fun as actually having to cause a distraction and slip past them. Maybe second to last level can be used to shroud yourself and last level can be used to control the NPC as stated above.

Not a bad idea, perhaps when mind tricking ground can make a fire animation appear (or something like it) and distract those affected. The higher the level, the longer the effect lasts for.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Ausre

Post by Ausre »

Or a target_speaker that plays footstep sounds.
=Oberon=Pentari= ::JEDI:: Padawan

~fwwi~blwmf~

Rulan Var

Post by Rulan Var »

And you can always start out simple since base Mind trick makes a short effect and a sound that distracts NPCs and even makes them move towards the area of the sound they heard. Higher level doesnt neccessarily have to mean longer duriation. It could also mean making a more distracting event and having the NPCs distracted/searching longer.
Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

Ctathos wrote:I'd add a powerful (lvl 4+) should give you direct control if the NPC is targeted, like in JK2 SP.
I want to add,
It is in Jedi Academy also. Altough, it can only be obtained via a cheat. (Set force level all 5 or however it was.) But yes, I tried that set force in single player. in the prison mission, when you have to escape. (for who knows it) and when I used Mind trick on an NPC, you took full control of it. So the code its already there. I believe...

As goes for the effect and distraction of NPC's. When you use Mind trick on an object, wall, or whatever, there 'is' an effect already, (followed by the sound) Like a slight blue spark coming from the wall, where you used mind trick. I remember that happening when I had mind trick 1/cloak 1.

Got cloak 2 now. But the effect is the same when there are no players around, where if used, obviously makes you invisible.

So yes, IF possible...

NPC control for mind trick/cloak 5. (where mind trick 4/cloak 4 doesn't have sound. so also a plus)
And, also, if possible.
For cloak 1 to be.. 'Only' an effect. (a small spark or something) on where it has been targeted. Since we all know cloak 1 is somewhat.. useless on more opponents. So, taking out the invisibility option from cloak 1, and adding the effect.
Making yourself invisible, (usual mind trick) Only from lvl 2.

Just my 2 cents.

-EG
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Where the extra suggestions are good, I think they are warping and overshadowing the initial suggestion.
Lets first wait to see if Soh is able to fix Mind Trick as a skill to make NPC's ignore the player.

Once that's confirmed (or denied), other seperate suggestions can be made to fine-tune it's uses at each skill level.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion