Changes to NPC's

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Elu Dako

Changes to NPC's

Post by Elu Dako »

I have a suggestion, I ain't sure if it will be seen as a good one or worth trying to do but:

My suggestion is to update the NPC pack, now that the enclave is like 3/4 of the way completed I feel it's time for possibly an update because let's face it, it's really old now and it could do with a bit of re-tuning to restore the sounds to the NPC's that were disabled following the attack on Yavin.

I understand that some of the droids are working now like JH-101 is able to spawn NPC's and now the council droid is able to talk now but I find it over-sized, I half expected the council droid to be like a HK unit or Protocol droid not a huge probe droid :o

Anyway back on topic, having the sounds restored or replaced with updated ones would be sweet and add some realism back into the roleplay since only A-48 seems to talk and only then it's only to say who the droid is xD.

Possibly introduce more droids to the batch ( No that isn't a typo ;) ) and stuff.

Anyway, thoughts?
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

I'd totally lend my voice for voice acting.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:I'd totally lend my voice for voice acting.
OH GOD, nah I'm kiddin'.

I forgot to mention, any volunteers for voice acting in the new pack should someone choose to make one?
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

The voice acting we had originally was fine - that was done by Master Quell, by the by.
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Aslyn wrote:by the by.
That a typo?

Anyway he has a wonderful voice :D but the voices should really be varied if you know what I mean 'cause not all droids sound the same because they have different voice chips.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

No, it wasn't a typo. It's another way of saying 'incidentally' when used in colloquial English.

And, actually, a lot of droids sound the same - the same model droids are produced by a single manufacturer, and they rarely spend time programming each one to produce a different voice. The buyers can certainly adapt and modify that if they wish, but traditionally, a droid will only have a certain number of presets (more particularly, dependent on their 'gender' identification).
Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Now that I think about it the HK-47 and HK-50 units sounded the same.

But C-3PO and two other Protocol droids sounded different like TC-14 and that one on Bespin before 3PO was shot by a stormtrooper.
Ausre

Post by Ausre »

The voice acting as it is now doesn't sound confident.

But really it's superfluous. In Neverwinter Nights normally NPCs would give you the first line of dialogue with voice so you can get an idea of their voice, tone, or mood.

In the end, you should interact with other players.
=Oberon=Pentari= ::JEDI:: Padawan

~fwwi~blwmf~

Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

I'm mainly talking about the npc's that have no voice what-so-ever...
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Elu Dako wrote:I'm mainly talking about the npc's that have no voice what-so-ever...
I think they should stay this way.

We are lucky enough as it is that Jared wanted to lend his voice for the small parts that it played.
It is simply a greeting to add a little depth to an NPC for OOC smiles and to demonstrate RPmod's capabilities.

The dialogue of the Temple droids may change over time as people have direct access to what they say and what options they present for us to click.
This would mean any time there is a change, the voice (sound) would also need to change to reflect the new text and it's really not worth the effort.

When you log onto the server to Role Play you are surrounded by text that has no sound yet that never bothers us. Why? Because it's not needed for immersion.

Besides, most people interact with a droid once to flick through the options and then never again. (With the exception of health/shield giving droids and NPC spawning droids who would eventually drive you NUTS if you had to listen to the same line every time you wanted another health kit/shield/NPC.)

NPC audio is a clever novelty, but a novelty none-the-less. And we all know novelties wear off or become tiresome to maintain.

Just my own personal thoughts of course!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Eugen Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Eugen Darkrider »

I agree with Amoné.

While it 'is' nice having audio, on NPC's and such. It takes time to make it. And, it is not an RPG like.. lets say, Dragon Age 2.
Which means you don't particularly need audio for NPC's. Also, as Amoné stated. ""..would eventually drive you NUTS if you had to listen to the same line every time.. ""
Masters: Nira'kalen'nuruodo | Iverian Prey | Aslyn Denethorn
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Sounds are simply icying on a cake. They aren't required, just a small benefit to have. Personally though, the only sounds I'd really wanna hear on an NPC are the ones when they are being hit.. taunts drive me crazy, definitely Kyle's taunts. Or the "Where you going, JEDI?" one..

Pain sounds and such, okay.. but holograms really don't need any taunts.

With the holograms that we interact with, we still don't need them to say anything really.. as we can read what they say.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Iacen Grak

Post by Iacen Grak »

What About HK KOTOR for the catina droid for certain things he says
My skin -->>

>>> Download <<<
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Iacen Grak wrote:What About HK KOTOR for the catina droid for certain things he says
Dibs on voicing B-52.

Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Dibs on voicing an archives droid.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian