Guardian Force Points

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Regardless of whether you edited the server cfg (don't know how things work), it would still - in my opinion - cause a shift in the XP system. Grants, balance etc... would need to be readjusted, which takes time to 'perfect'.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

I still think doing away with ALL classes in favour of just ONE rank called, 'Jedi' is better. Everyone is the same at their core and what then defines you are the skills you choose to take and the RP you choose to engage in >_>

But that's just me heh

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

Sai Akiada wrote:I still think doing away with ALL classes in favour of just ONE rank called, 'Jedi' is better. Everyone is the same at their core and what then defines you are the skills you chose to take and the RP you chose to engage in >_>

But that's just me heh
Removing all the classes would take away what JEDI has been following for the last what 5/6 years...it's the classes that add a bit of spice to the mix, without them it would become boring.
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Elu Dako wrote:
Sai Akiada wrote:I still think doing away with ALL classes in favour of just ONE rank called, 'Jedi' is better. Everyone is the same at their core and what then defines you are the skills you chose to take and the RP you chose to engage in >_>

But that's just me heh
Removing all the classes would take away what JEDI has been following for the last what 5/6 years...it's the classes that add a bit of spice to the mix, without them it would become boring.
I wholeheartedly disagree. I'd rather have everyone as equal HP/FP's, increasing slightly per level, than listen to the endless squabbles about who deserves what..

and as for things becoming boring, you are only limited by your own imagination Elu.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

For the record, the class system is fairly new, as is RPMod in comparison to JEDI's relative lifetime.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Imil C. Ucindus
Lost One

Post by Imil C. Ucindus »

Sai Akiada wrote:
Elu Dako wrote:

But that's just me heh
I wholeheartedly disagree. I'd rather have everyone as equal HP/FP's, increasing slightly per level, than listen to the endless squabbles about who deserves what..

and as for things becoming boring, you are only limited by your own imagination Elu.
Amen
I believe in myself. Do you believe in me?
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I think a lot of the time it's all down to the "title".
People like having a specific title to catagorize themselves in.

I'll give you an example:

Vantus was a Guardian because I wanted his focus to be on Lightsaber combat from an RP perspective. However, OOCly I was making threads and discussions not unlike this one that Illrian has posted. I was unhappy about class balances from a gaming angle.

So I believe Sai might be onto something.

It would be fine to keep classes for the purpose of having a title / category / specialization to make us feel unique but removing the HP/FP/Force Regen imbalance and making everyone's HP and FP the same.

This of course, is purely speculation. I doubt everyone sees it that way but i'm slowly coming around to the idea.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Question is, will people actually RP it.

I used to throw fights when I got in them because Sebastin isn't supposed to be good at it. Though during a Force Spar I would REALLY try to 'win' and use the force to my advantage in moves and the like to show that I rely on it and train extensively in it, yada yada.

I'm sure that would be the 'next' topic if we did make this change, suggestions to make sure 'people RP their trait' :roll:

I like being known as a Consular, someone trying to understand the force more than my combat (though I use it as a way to keep fit etc).

I'm not sure how it is on the other side of the fence, plus all these ideas are purely gaming perspectives I suppose but it would be interesting I'm sure.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Elu Dako

Post by Elu Dako »

I have a feeling them removing the class differences completely may result in a feel of people feeling even in spars because there is no individualism in their force points or skills.

If that makes sense?
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Removing the class system is probably the most logical choice there is. Perhaps keep the titles, like Amoné said, but don't have either or be greater. Perhaps when it comes to the abilities, have that stay the same.. where as a Guardian you still can't get level 3 Hold at level 14. Keep that system in place, but remove the HP/SP/FP conflict. Have that part all remain the same.

That way what defines who you are is based on your RP and your template, as it roughly is now.. I've known some to be Guardian's who get destroyed by Consular's at the same level as them. The HP/SP/FP doesn't make you a Guardian or Consular.. sure it makes it easier but we're an RP clan, we're to RP what we are... so getting rid of that small part would only enhance the RP, which in the end is better if I may say so..

So keep what level each class has to be in order to buy a certain ability, just remove the different HP/SP/FP. Sai and Amoné hit it right on the nail.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Elu Dako wrote: because there is no individualism in their force points or skills.
I know what you're saying though I think Sai's point was that each person chooses different Force points. There would still be individualism.

Just because you remove the HP boost of guardians or the FP boost of Consulars as a Game Mechanic, doesn't make a person any less a Guardian, Sentinel or Consular in RP.
For example, If Rash had the same amount of HP as Aayla (Game Mechanic), Rash would STILL be seen as the Academy's strongest Guardian.

I've never seen anybody RP as having more HP:
"Please let me go first! I have more health and a stronger shield unit!"
It is simply role played as:
"Please let me go first! I am a Jedi Guardian and can take the front line."

People RP their strengths and weaknesses based on their chosen specilization (if they have one) because of the Title itself, not because they have more HP/Shields or more Force Points.

Anyway, this is kind of another issue but one worth thinking about for the future. Sorry for the off-topic posts! I suppose we should get back on the original topic of Guardians recieving a Force boost.

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Then another thread about who should get what ability at what level at what cost.

I agree, it would make some sense doing it that way but then you have to ask yourself 'will people RP the differences in the training and choosen path of learning?' and by that - I mean not going over board either and taking every mentioned power because we are now all on an even slate - but truely defining yor character.

Sure, you could argue that it might not happen now but at least you have some restrictions to make it 'seem that way'. The only thing people are losing out on is Sparring (or if you are like me and love to get FFA'd by hungry mandos, missions!)

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Well, that's why you keep the Force Template the same for each class.. that way someone who thinks of themselves as a Guardian still can't get Hold 3 until they reach level 16, while Sentinel's can get it at level 14, and Consular's at level 8.

That is probably the biggest aspect when it comes to Game Mechanics that define who is who.. The HP/SP/FP doesn't do that, while it could add the icying on the cake, that's all it really does... I could have the same HP/SP/FP as a Consular, and still RP myself as a Guardian based on how I am and what type of abilities are opened to me.

I'd still have the "block" on many Force Abilities past level 3 because I'm under the Guardian category, while Consular's would still have that same "block" only with their Saber Arts section.

I think the idea of Guardian's having a little more FP has reached it's own end, with most actually agreeing to the idea.. but also agreeing to drop down the HP/SP, to help keep it balanced.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I've never seen anybody RP as having more HP:
"Please let me go first! I have more health and a stronger shield unit!"
It is simply role played as:
"Please let me go first! I am a Jedi Guardian and can take the front line."
Illrian Damaris wrote: That is probably the biggest aspect when it comes to Game Mechanics that define who is who.. The HP/SP/FP doesn't do that
What you said was true, but if we remove the HP/SP gain from classes then it completely diminishes the purpose of saying such a thing, mechanics-wise. Let's say I'm a guardian and I'm fighting against 3 dark jedi, I have a sentinel and a consular behind me and we are all the same level. The sentinel and I both have offense 3 and defense 3. The dark jedi can block all force attacks, so shouting, "I am a guardian and I will fight them because I have the greatest experience with a lightsaber" wouldn't help when it comes to the dark jedi because the sentinel is the same mechanics wise, plus, let's say the sentinel is MUCH better at the game than I am, and would easily obliterate the three, when I'm terrible and would get my butt handed to me.

Would it be logical to send me out or would it be logical to send out the one that REALLY could defeat them.

I say,
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

You make good points Jenny.

In an ideal world, If Jedi were to face a Dark Jedi:

Consulars would fight with their Force Powers. (Because hypothetically they would have spent their points on Force Powers over Saber Offense and Defense)
Guardians would fight with their Lightsabers. (Because they are more likely to have buffed up their sabering skills along with protect etc)
Sentinels would fight with a diluted combination of everything. (As they currently do.)

The only difference is an unseen amount of HP/FP and when we are all fighting along side eachother, it's not a competition to see who dies first.

I'm reminded also, of something Tomoran wrote in another thread which I agree with:
Tomoran wrote: If you can’t do something, your character probably can’t, either. Nobody wants to hear you talk about how you’re an ace acrobat and then watch you MT falls from pillars for seven minutes unless your connection is dying at which point you should just excuse yourself. In a similar light, if you can’t duel for diddly squat, don’t tell people you’re some legendary saberist. We should all put a great investment in roleplaying but if said skills cannot pay the bills then best be keeping the talk to a bare minimum lest someone calls you out.
It's one of those "sad but true" things I think.

I admit, It's a very back and forward arguement. One minute the gaming side isn't important, the next minute it is. But as far as classes are concerned, I think we should consider it primarily RP. This would mean disbanding a small portion of the gaming aspect. (HP/FP bonuses)