NPC Holograms

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Are NPC holograms necessary/needed/wanted?

Yes
72%
No
8%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 25

Azrael
Lost One

NPC Holograms

Post by Azrael »

The use of holograms is coming up increasingly in RP recently. I was wondering if it was possible (as i dont think it's currently a feature of the mod) to have a command to turn NPCs into holograms in the same fashion as 'hologram normal' or 'hologram projector.' It's something of a nuisance and not entirely fair to always have to ask another player to pause their own RP to help out standing in as a hologram when a single NPC would do.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I think this would be good for cosmetic purposes.
However, it should be noted that while in "Hologram" mode, a player can be walked through and as far as I am aware, can't be harmed or harm in return.

If this too was changed, then I'd say "Yes Please!"

I know that would be "realistic" as Holograms are not solid, but not being able to hit a target would render practicing with them rather impractical or pointless.

/Support (If "holograming" does not make them immune)

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I think this would be good for cosmetic purposes.
However, it should be noted that while in "Hologram" mode, a player can be walked through and as far as I am aware, can't be harmed or harm in return.

If this too was changed, then I'd say "Yes Please!"

I know that would be "realistic" as Holograms are not solid, but not being able to hit a target would render practicing with them rather impractical or pointless.

/Support (If "holograming" does not make them immune)

Why would you be able to hurt a hologram?

If they aren't their, you can't touch them, I think that's the idea behind the immunity. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean though :/
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

Some facts about hologram mode: Lightsaber still tangible and can knock people out. Shots fired can knock out as well. Can not be hurt unless with storm, but that's just an assumption because I thought I saw it happen.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
"Never give up, never surrender."
"Before all else, your duty to others."
"Always make your own drinks."
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Yes you can storm people in hologram mode.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Olim Adasca
Lost One

Post by Olim Adasca »

But anyway, I do think that Azrael ment it as a previously mentioned by Amoné cosmetic function. And those that spawn it can also delete the entity by command. I do support this.
Olim Adasca || Age: 33 || Species: Arkanian || Height: 1.86 m || Weight: 106.7 kg || Initiated: 274.28 ABY || Homeworld: Arkania || Birthdate: 268.20 || Mentors : Sebastin Creed 279.29 - 296.28 || Retired: 302.13 ABY
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Baelin Raddyx wrote: Why would you be able to hurt a hologram?

If they aren't their, you can't touch them, I think that's the idea behind the immunity. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean though :/
For the sake of actually making contact with a target.
If hitting air or "shadow-sparring" sufficed as training, we wouldn't need training bots at all.

We all know how A.I behaves in JKA as it is, imagine the lightning-speed swinging of holograms in blue stance while they continue to run through you in a no-clip fashion.

I believe the addition of the hologram effect as a cosmetic would be good for immersion but not at the sacrifice of losing the ability to actually "damage" them.

Besides, if holograms were to replace the "programs" we use in the bot spawner room, how the heck would us lowly Padawans actually turn them OFF if they can't be killed?
It would suck if we needed an admin present at all times....

Olim Adasca
Lost One

Re: NPC Holograms

Post by Olim Adasca »

Azrael wrote: I was wondering if it was possible (as i dont think it's currently a feature of the mod) to have a command to turn NPCs into holograms in the same fashion as 'hologram normal' or 'hologram projector.'
So, aside from normal programs, also make them able to function as intangible holograms you talk to rather than fight.
Kih Bu
Lost One

Post by Kih Bu »

Amoné Fayden wrote:Besides, if holograms were to replace the "programs" we use in the bot spawner room, how the heck would us lowly Padawans actually turn them OFF if they can't be killed?
It would suck if we needed an admin present at all times....
  • The solution to this would be to create new npcs for the the droid to spawn, which have a transparent-looking/tinted shaders to give the impression that they are some form of hologram. After that, give them custom sounds along the lines of "bzzt" or other shield-depleting noises to enhance the effect that the npcs are in fact, holograms. For the case of training bots, this is the ideal solution, as they would still be attackable.

As for adding an /rphologram normal/projector option for npcs that've been spawned via the /npc command, this could have a variety of other uses and I'd be keen to take advantage of it as a feature.
Last edited by Kih Bu on Sun May 08, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Kih makes a fine point.
Clever skinning could present an alternative if the primary suggestion fails.

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Ultimately, the suggestion makes logical sense. If NPC 'placeholders' can be set with the currently existing animations and positions, then it would make sense to be able to apply both of the currently existing rphologram to those same models.

Jared
Lost One

Post by Jared »

Isn't the general idea that our 'holograms' don't look like holograms? They're either "hard light" (whether this term exists in SW Canon or not remains debatable) or they are holo-droids which are solid/saber proof droids with a holographic skin, much like proxy from that multi-platform game we don't mention on account of it being the father of many many lies.

The hologram effect simulates long distance communications, while the holograms seen in star wars look a bit more colourful (like the holo-chess board).

So I'm thinking... is it REALLY going to improve immersion/cosmetics? Or can't we achieve what we really want (a more subtle effect) with shaders?
To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.
SKIN FROM RPMOD ASSETS
Jocus Cyleik

Post by Jocus Cyleik »

/support