\rpeffect Fadeout <Target>

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

\rpeffect Fadeout <Target>

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

Okay, so as you all know, we've got a nice little rpeffect that can turn the screen dark without hiding text or our little info box on the top right-hand side. Problem is, it's universal: it can be turned on or off, but for EVERYONE, and the only way to hide it is to use \cg_draw2d 0, which also eliminates text.

So, my thought is this: can we please make it targetable as well as universal? It'd be handy if we could blind some people and not others, for the purposes of exercises and some RP abilities. Otherwise it's not really possible to do without spawning an \rpeffect over the eyes or forehead (Bolted RPeffects).

So, for example, I could type \rpeffect add fadeout Simus, and thus blind Simus while everybody else sees the game normally. Typing the usual \rpeffect remove fadeout Simus would then reverse that.

Is this possible? And if so, can we have it?

Thanks!
Eaon Norellia

Post by Eaon Norellia »

I totally support this idea
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I support this idea fully!

It's a solid idea, having the ability to let some people see what they're doing, while others can't...that way admins can still have chat up and all but be able to see (if the blackout also works on them) but others still can't see anything without removing the text.

| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

/emsupport
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Eaon Norellia wrote:I totally support this idea
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Rei Xaria
Lost One

Post by Rei Xaria »

• Support.
  • Support.
  • Support.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Agreed, but conditionally.

Right now the command can be worked-around via cg_draw2d, so either restrict that command as well, or make the fadeout work differently. Perhaps if the client gave the server access to client-based graphics commands like r_drawworld?

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Sared Kilvan wrote:Agreed, but conditionally.

Right now the command can be worked-around via cg_draw2d, so either restrict that command as well, or make the fadeout work differently. Perhaps if the client gave the server access to client-based graphics commands like r_drawworld?
I know what you mean with this one, sadly it's something we are unable to check on but if yesterday was anything to go by - we seem to have some trust worthy members willing to do things properly to make things work as they should.

Though, I wouldn't say no to this kind of restriction to ensure it.

- As for Aslyn's suggestion, it's an instant support. It be a great addition to the exercises we could do as well as prep for missions.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

As I understand the reasons behind it and fully agree:

I support.

Sared makes a good point about it being bypassable but so many things are. Currently, it's already easy to dispell with cg_draw2d, this is just a request to allow the blackscreen effects to be targetting like the other effects.

If it can be fixed to no longer be removable then it's a total bonus, if not i'd still go with it!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Support!

Species: Ryn

Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

Interesting idea.. Definitelly support! :)
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Sared Kilvan wrote:Right now the command can be worked-around via cg_draw2d, so either restrict that command as well, or make the fadeout work differently.
Being able to bypass it with cg_draw2D can have its uses during missions, for directors... I would hope our members can "play the game" and not bypass it when its use is justified.
Sared Kilvan wrote:Perhaps if the client gave the server access to client-based graphics commands like r_drawworld?
The server can already affect client Cvars (it does so when typing the /saber command for instance). But doing so wouldn't really be necessary, as it is possible to code the fadeout effect to not be affected by cg_draw2D.

So it's more a gameplay decision than a technical limitation here.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Is there a way to set the rpeffect fadeout to individual targets, Soh?

(sorry if that was answered! I may have missed the part...)

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

Sebastin Creed wrote:Is there a way to set the rpeffect fadeout to individual targets, Soh?
It has yet to be coded, but yes, it is possible.
Sebastin Creed wrote:(sorry if that was answered! I may have missed the part...)
That wasn't answered.. in addressing the details, I forgot the main point of the thread :D
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Excellent! Then please please please consider coding it in there :lol:

It actually make some exercise ideas and the like that's come out of the wood work even better! So would be a great addition I'd think.