Spawnable Ammo and Shield Generators

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Spawnable Ammo and Shield Generators

Post by Amoné Fayden »

This is a call to have both Ammo and Shield "Generators" to be spawnable in the server.

As these can be placed anywhere in a map by a Mapper and seem to act like an entity of its own, so I would presume that they could be added and removed in the same way as an NPC.

I won't claim to know how RP Mod works on the inside but this could be handled like "\npc spawn Ammo" and "\npc spawn Shield" and would be removed in the same fashion as any other NPC.

I think this could be advantageous both inside the Enclave and on Missions.
Of course, we're all aware our map has more than enough shield and health top-ups already but then we also have A-48 and JH-101 that spit them out. Having something else direct and summonable that doesn't have menus to navigate could be useful.

I think having strategically placed Ammo generators on Missions would allow for low-ammo situations to be rectified by the player rather than pestering mission directors who already have their hands full.

I'm aware there are current work-arounds in place but really, this could only benefit as an extra option.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

If this is possible, I'd support it.

It's less evident that spawning a medical droid but as for missions and exercises is the unusual areas would benefit from being able to spawn shield and ammo generators, and then removing them.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I agree with Seb on this one.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

As long as we can also turn off the health/shield spawns in maps that we load up to avoid people getting dinged once and then somehow retreating to that pile of junk with the large shield generator.

It's possible that there might be a way to make an npc that serves the function of a shield/ammo generator ... I might have to look into some files.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

We already hve an NPC in the pack that does that. Think JH-101.. or medical.. You can gain health and shield packs from it. As far as game mechanics goes however, I am fine with this idea.

Approve I guess. (y)

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Tomoran wrote:As long as we can also turn off the health/shield spawns in maps
That's surely an easy fix...a matter of setting one small code in the server.cfg and you're all good. :P
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sure, most maps (if not all) have health kits and shield packs but those are not always conveniently placed enough as to abuse.

Let me list some examples to show you my direction:

Enclave usage:

Master A is training Padawan B.
Master A mercs him/herself to get weapons then throws away the uneccesary ones to leave an E-11.
Master A spawns an Ammo Generator. (for lack of a better term)
Master A runs out of Ammo.
Master A recharges his/her ammo using the Generator instead of un-mercing, re-mercing then throwing away all weapons again.

It is also a bonus for those times a Master wants the aid of a Padawan (or lower). Currently non-admins rely on the master for ammo top-ups constantly. This again could be remedied by Ammo Generators.

Mission / Simulation Usage:

Merc team are spawned to defend an area of a map from Jedi team.
This area of the map has NO Health or Shield kits laying around.
An Ammo Generator is spawned at a decent distance away from the Merc team.
Merc team members run out of ammo and in turn must retreat to a location to recharge their ammo, thus requiring "shifts" and strategy as well as offering the Jedi team opportunities and pauses in the battle.

Mission / Simulation Usage:

Jedi team is expected to progress through a dangerous area in an "A to B" objective. Jedi as is the norm, get beat to a pulp at the first hurdle but thankfully at the half-way mark there is an interior where they can take cover. What's this? Lo and behold! A conveniently placed Shield generator to give them a fighting chance!

These are just some random examples of use.
I feel it also "covers up" admin commands and OOC with something physical and visual that can be role played instead.

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Amoné Fayden wrote:Mission / Simulation Usage:

Merc team are spawned to defend an area of a map from Jedi team.
This area of the map has NO Health or Shield kits laying around.
An Ammo Generator is spawned at a decent distance away from the Merc team.
Merc team members run out of ammo and in turn must retreat to a location to recharge their ammo, thus requiring "shifts" and strategy as well as offering the Jedi team opportunities and pauses in the battle.
Now yer thinkin' like a game designer! I like this!

Additionally, could generators be configured to give/grant any number of items? Use generator= receive pre-determined load-out. (E-11+Thermals, Repeater+Pistol, etc.)

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sared Kilvan wrote: Additionally, could generators be configured to give/grant any number of items? Use generator= receive pre-determined load-out. (E-11+Thermals, Repeater+Pistol, etc.)
Where I see your point, I think it would be unnecessary as players retain the weapons they are given even after the ammo runs out. For example, once the ammo of an E-11 runs out the blaster stays on your character but you cannot select the weapon. Once ammo is chucked at the player, they can select the E-11 again. So really, most "Mercs" and "Bad Guys" would already start out with a pre-defined weapon layout. Topping up Ammo will retain those weapons. As for Dets, the more finite those are the better in my opinion.

NPC's like JH-101 and A-48 already have the sort of function you mentioned (Giving out health and shields and spawning other NPCs).

I'd personally rather just see the base Ammo and Shield generators added as simple as they are. Further exploration of their functionality could be explored later once we find out if they can be included in the first place!

In the end, id rather not have a long arduous Menu System (Like JH-101) for a simple ammo top up. But that's just me!
Last edited by Amoné Fayden on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rei Xaria
Lost One

Post by Rei Xaria »

Love it. Support!
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Rei Xaria wrote:Love it. Support!
What the kid said.

Good points Amoné, exactly what I was thinking.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Casts Level 3 Ressurection

So,

Anything additional about this idea?

Is it possible, because I quite like this one but I'm unsure if these Generators are something that is possible to bring forward as a spawning item.