Message bank

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Nicholae Carnassi
Lost One

Message bank

Post by Nicholae Carnassi »

It'd be nice to be able to leave IC messages for another player in the server. Something along the lines of:

Code: Select all

/rpmessage [JEDI ID] [Subject] [Message]
After logging into your account in the server, the player would be notified that they have [#] Message(s) waiting to be retrieved.
Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

That would be a very, very awesome way to create some IC interaction.
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Hmm I think this idea has the potential to be a lot of fun and aid immersion, so for that reason I would approve.

I wont be sad if it is turned down through lack of interest or ease to create but yeh, if possible and as always, if Soh can do it - sounds fun. I would place it as low priority however.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
Lost One

Post by Nira'kalen'nuruodo »

I can definitely see this being a potentially useful and interesting feature. However, I can also see the potential for abuse.

Code: Select all

/rplogin <username> <password>
Welcome back, <name>.  You have 400 new messages.
/me Weeps openly
I exaggerate, as I doubt we'd login to find 400 messages offering us methods of enhancing parts of our anatomy that we may or may not have, but I think it's worthwhile considering how we'd prevent unwanted messages. Restrictions on who can use the command or simply deal with any abuse as and when it crops up?

Nira'kalen'nuruodo
"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value."
|age_53|height_1.7m|weight_85kg|species_chiss|mentor_cyril.feraan|padawan_eugen.darkrider_nastajja.arren|

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

You could make a buffer that you're only allowed to leave 2 messages per 24 hour period per person.

I just wouldn't like to see like... OOC messages in the IC message system to me lol. or I'd have to do like /rpblockmessage JohnDoe
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

A neat suggestion but isn't that what forum PM's are for?

Sorry to be party-pooping naysayer!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Right... because we want to shove people off being active in the game to go look at a website.
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

I'm going to have to agree with Amoné here. If you have a message to be left, the PM's on the forum should suffice. We use the forums anyway, so it's not keeping us off the server anymore than it was before. And if you're already on the server, what's wrong with using a commlink or actively rping instead of messages?

I can see this being very distracting in game, with people playing around in their console, standing still with their chat bubble up instead of interacting with eachother, essentially creating as much distraction as getting ooc pm's while playing.

I'm gonna have to go with a no on this one.

Species: Ryn

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Oberon wrote:Right... because we want to shove people off being active in the game to go look at a website.
Not RPing to read PMs on the Forums.
Not RPing to read PMs on the Server.

It's not really better one way or another as both versions are private and not public knowledge unless the player wants to make it that way.

It would just save Soh the bother and allow him to work on other aspects of RPmod instead, seeing as we have a method in place already for these sorts of things.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I, uh

I already use forum PMs for this purpose.

Was I doing it wrong? I wouldn't mind this feature but I probably wouldn't use it.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Unless of course, the features would generate an rphologram'd npc of whoever sent you the message and would trigger a conversation with you to relay the message.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Amoné Fayden wrote:A neat suggestion but isn't that what forum PM's are for?

Sorry to be party-pooping naysayer!
Like Tomoran said, I also use this feature of the forums for that purpose, and it would be hard if not impossible to attach picture, links, and other such materials to an in-game message.

I do like Oberon's idea of using interactive rphologram'd NPCs for messages, but I think that would be event-specific materials, unrelated to the mod.

Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

/emsupport
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

To be quite honest, I agree fully with Amoné on this one. I'm like both Tomoran and Sared. I use the Forum's PM system already for this exact thing, and personally I find it a lot easier. I'll display a perfect example for Forum PM'ing over Server PM'ing.

Back when the Flight class was started, the students needed permission from their Mentor's in order to participate. I hadn't seen Aayla on MSN since I noticed the post, and I needed to get her permission before joining.. if I had sent her the IC Server PM as you suggest, she may not have gotten it until a couple days after the first class already started. Instead, I sent her an IC Forum PM, asking for her permission...and I got an answer that very same day.

Point is: If you have an IC question for someone, but they aren't on the server...why leave a PM for them on there? It may take days before they get it, and it could very well be something that you need an answer to quickly. Sending them a PM over the Forums and making it IC is much more productive, easy, and you've got a far better chance of getting your answer a lot quicker then waiting for them to get on the server.

So, I have to say I do not support this idea it at...it simply makes something that's already easy that much harder. Forum PM'ing is just fine, and can often times be far quicker...Server PM'ing can eventually become extremely complicated.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

What would be neat is if you could do this, and had it synced up with the upgraded phpbb v3 forums. There's already talk of syncing rpmod passwords, Perhaps messages sent to inboxes can be labeled (IC) and they will show up in server as well, without attachments.

If there is a picture or something, it can say :;see attachment::
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria