wondering if it is possible to implement these not as
animations, but new additonal poses for standing,
sitting, or fighting poses.

BOTH_MEDITATE -> normal stand pose 2
BOTH_STAND4TOATTACK2 -> normal stand pose 3
BOTH_STAND5LOOK180LEFTSTOP -> side stand pose
BOTH_STAND5TURNRIGHTSTOP

BOTH_VT_MOUNT_B -> lunge pose

BOTH_STAND7TOSTAND8 <-emhips? or different?

BOTH_VT_MOUNT_L <-one hand telekinesis/touch wall/block sun light
BOTH_VT_MOUNT_R

BOTH_HUGGEESTOP1 <-force flight, hover pose (probably not.)

BOTH_SABERKILLER1 <-clasp hands stand pose

BOTH_V6_L_S6 <- combat standing pose

BOTH_VT_ATL_TO_R_S <-additonal sitting pose
Rei Xaria
Lost One

Post by Rei Xaria »

I don't support this. Don't really need it...
You have /me.
Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

While I fully support /me in several instances, I think with the proper animations/emotes rp can be much more gratifying.

Seeing and reading are two different things, and one is far more immersive than the other.

We do not /me swings with his saber, do we? No-because we are fortunate to be able to actually swing the saber.

Likewise if we are able to get emotes that allow us to see better things than /me could then I'm all for it.

Another issue is that setting up a pose in /me only works with the people surrounding you. New people entering rp will not notice what pose it is you are in unless you repeat the /me which can become dry and unpleasant.

Whereas an emote is obvious and permanent until switched out.
| age_22 | height_2.6m | weight_125kg | race_human | mentor_simus.cnydaria
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

What you have to understand is that these animations listed (or the majority of them) are MOVING animations.
Sared and I are working on figuring out how to freeze animations within specific frames to allow for more poses. (As he found an interesting line which might work).

However, as it stands, we can't pick and chose what frames we want an animation to pause on. So for your example of "BOTH_MEDITATE", the character won't just stand still and freeze, they will persist to sit down on the floor when the animation is played.

I always felt that we could use more "idle" poses rather than specific event animations (Combat ones for example) and since I haven't seen Ruluk around in a while, i've been adding a few more to the list.

With that said, we are limited to what the default "_humanoid.gla" gives us. I don't make custom animations as those would require an RPmod release. So in essence, we are VERY limited to what else we CAN add that I haven't already added. Sure there are some here and there but the majority of them have either been tested and have glitched, or they flat out look silly.

Although we're scraping the barrel here, watch this space and i'll add what I can!
Last edited by Amoné Fayden on Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

Amoné Fayden wrote: I don't make custom animations as those would require an RPmod release.

It would only require updating the RPmod-Animations.pk3 file, not the entire mod. And if it were filled with enough animations, I don't see how that would be a problem.

I've seen what Lehon has done with their updated animations and it's quite impressive.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Of course Baelin, i've seen a lot of cool animations around the JKA community over the years.

With RPmod there are (I believe) 50 free slots for custom animations.
Praying for sweet new custom animations is all fine and well but those take skill and time.

Right now though, in this very second of time, we have a simple little emote.dat file that can be edited to add Animations from the default "_humanoid.gla" and implement them into our game without the need to download anything!

I know you're saying it's just 1 pk3, but that is something Soh will still need to update RPmod with and force a release as animations are meant to be included in the install. Think of newcomers downloading RPmod for the first time. That's an extra file they need to get which should rightfully come with RPmod.

Plus, with the amount of "AHH I NEED HALP 2 PLAY JKA!" posts we have recently, I'm up for keeping it simple! :P

So! How about this.
I add everything I possibly can from Modview and we see what we've got.
If people are still unhappy that they can't do handstands or reenact the Thriller dance in game, then we'll look to custom animations.

Then... well.... it's down to waiting for somebody to actually produce decent content. :x

Baelin Raddyx
Lost One

Post by Baelin Raddyx »

I'd really like to reenact Thriller!! :P
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:I'd really like to reenact Thriller!! :P

/bind P emdance

P
P
P
P
P
P

Cynthia
Lost One

Post by Cynthia »

Why can't we just be happy with what we have?

/notsupporting
Zeak Dystiny
Lost One

Post by Zeak Dystiny »

Because if we can eventually make it better, there is nothing wrong with that. You could've asked that question when JEDI was running on the JA+ mod, which is silly to ask/say. If you can make it a little bit better(at some point) why not?

Though admittedly, we do have quite a few emotes already.

"Is all that sales-babble in your brochure? Because I think I'm going to puke. Perhaps you'd like me to leverage your synergy with my vibroblade."
Xfire: Whenlightfades

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Zeak Dystiny wrote: Though admittedly, we do have quite a few emotes already.
We certainly do! There are 99 emotes in total at the moment.
It's always nice to have more which is why i'm wringing "_humanoid.gla" dry for what's left.

Again, going back to my Effort : Reward ratio, I don't mind editing the emotes.dat as it's simple and requires no base altering. Custom Animations really need to be worth while to make them merit the effort. I'd be totally happy for somebody to include generic emotes so long as these emotes were not tailor-made for like... 1-2 people.
(example: "I want a double-backflip moonflip because my character does that.")

Taking the time and effort to animate needs to be worth it and, in my opinion, "worth it" means being used broadly by everyone and because there were no alternatives already at our disposal.

Don't get me wrong! If somebody magic's-up an animation pack, passes it to Soh who then incorporates it into RPMod and releases it in the next couple of days, then fire away! :)

Garik Kelzim

Post by Garik Kelzim »

Cynthia wrote:Why can't we just be happy with what we have?

/notsupporting
Why can't we just do everything with /me?
Why bother adding animations?
Well, we add animations because it's visually pleasant to watch. Because most people don't want to spam their console with ::white:: text. Because the little ::white:: text could be misunderstood (Yeah, not everyone has the vocabulary needed to describe more detailed actions than ::Sneezes:: ). And mostly...Because we CAN. Yup, YES WE CAN, people.
Name: Garik Kelzim| Species: Miraluka| Initiated: 276.24| Masters: Tomoran Serevarno
"Five naps a day keep A-48 away!"
Herenai
Lost One

Post by Herenai »

Garik Kelzim wrote: -We add animations because it's visually pleasant to watch.
-Because the little ::white:: text could be misunderstood
-And mostly...Because we CAN. Yup, YES WE CAN, people.
/support the idea and I also thank those working on the new emotes <3
Zekii to Azra : "You're blue because of the lack of oxygen in your blood ! "
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Baelin Raddyx wrote:I'd really like to reenact Thriller!! :P
I will murder everything, everywhere.

I think there's some good use to be gotten out of this thread while you're still looking. Since we are still capped with a finite number of custom animations, what are some unused emotes that we might *not* use as much? Trim out what isn't used, and we will have room for that which will be used more often

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Oh, there are PLENTY of free spots left for coding the default "_humanoid.gla" into RPmod. There is a limit but nothing that we will reach with what there is to use.

It's the custom emotes that have the 50 limit.
(That's new Emotes that are not in the game.)

Soh said it here:
Soh Raun wrote: For new animations (not BaseJKA ones), the BOTH_CIN_1 to BOTH_CIN_50 keys are available for use in JKA MP.
So thankfully there is no need to remove any of the animations we have now. We just have a cap of 50 for new, custom emotes.