Support?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 14

Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

HP/SP Items

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Affects: NPC+Items

Summary: Additional 'large' medpacks and shields.

Suggestion: Add additional entries to items.dat to create single items that will 'top off' sp and hp quickly.

Implementation:

Code: Select all

itemname	ITM_MEDPAK_PICKUP_B
classname	item_medpak_instant_b
worldmodel	models/items/medpac.md3
icon		gfx/hud/i_icon_medkit
count		300
type		IT_HEALTH
tag		ITM_MEDPAK_PICKUP
max		 8  8 16
min		-8 -8 -3

itemname	ITM_SHIELD_BIG_PICKUP
classname	item_shield_lrg_instant
worldmodel	models/items/psd.md3
icon		gfx/hud/psd_medium
count		300
type		IT_ARMOR
tag		ITM_SHIELD_LRG_PICKUP
max		 8  8 16
min		-8 -8 -4
These entries would not replace, but be in addition to the current item entries. Yes I believe this breaks baseJKA functionality, but I believe Soh stated that we're past that coming soon enough. Enough of them could be added to the current rank restriction to be used for things like...

choice
		{
			text	"I need a fresh battery for my shields."
			next	rankXshield
			rank	X
		}
Where X is rank (initiates, padawan, knight, etc.) and amount of hp/sp given is encompassing of what a player of that rank would possess. (Rank1=levels 1 through 11, rank2=levels 10 through 15, rank3+= levels 15 through 25) to prevent a shield grant of 300 leaving residual 'overcharge'.

(For that matter, is it possible to restrict a dialogue option to a specific rank?)

References: JEDI NPC .dlg's and items.dat and not being lazy.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I've not encountered a situation where such a singular top up is required.

For example, in our current map, every health and shield deposit has like.. at least 8 units on the shelf which is more than enough to over-charge your HP / SP.
They're quick to respawn too so even during group recovery periods, there's little waiting time.

As for NPCs I never use them for HP / SP top ups as it takes almost as long to navigate the menus as it does waiting for MedKits and Shields to respawn and collect. (Plus NPCs flood out the console with dialogue..)

However, this suggestion isn't bad and it looks like you've put decent effort into giving it a head start which is always great!

So i'm on the fence with this.
If it's simple, sure why not! I just don't think it's really required.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

In theory, the same code could be applied to the actual item pickups, so that instead of Rash running past and OMNOMNOMNOM'ing an entire shelf of pickups, a single medpack/shield would top him off.

Downside; if Sai REALLY wanted to do that, the map might end up being RPMod-dependant.

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Sared Kilvan wrote:Downside; if Sai REALLY wanted to do that, the map might end up being RPMod-dependant.
Not an issue there. I only map for JEDI currently anyway. I'll just make small edits should I wish to publically release.

As for the suggestion itself, I can see the benefit but as Amoné says /meh. If it's easy to do, sure why not :)

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

For reference, it's pretty common that we drop a droid for hp/sp at the beginning of a simulation (assuming we go into the field in full personal shields unless it's a particular mission) and having ten students ask him for bits does take a while (though this could be remedied by people spawning with full shields, which might skew the health values of gunners) having the ability to top people off without them relying on map spawns (which have been pretty abused in the past by jedi/non-jedi) might help to better prepare the pacing of simulations/missions as they go instead of having to account for people backtracking for shields/etc.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

I'm also starting to think that instead of adding additional entries into items.dat, we can just modify the pre-existing ones so that any shield/medpack pickup would top off the player. Regardless of map.

Aslyn Denethorn
Lost One

Post by Aslyn Denethorn »

I like that suggestion better, Sared. That'd be a much more efficient use of the current system.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Wasn't there another thread or mention in a thread, by Amoné - about being able to spawn those ammo and shield generators via admin?

I think that would be good for Simulations. Health itself is regenerated (at a slow pace, yes I know) but with a shield generator spawned at different 'check points' that would be quite useful in itself. The ammo section of the idea speaks for itself really, exercises, training, ease within simulations for the guards (beats the hell outta rpmerc hand outs).

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

One has to remember that the base game only allowed for a maximum of 100 shields (199 if you overshield, but everybody knows/exploits -that- bug) so it was probably their intent for everybody to be maxed out, on shields at least, in those areas. So, I am fine with having them max an individual out, but will a large shield pack give 250 or infinite? If infinite, will it pump everybody into overshield? Is there any way we can make the decay on overshield about 25x faster?
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Tomoran wrote:If infinite, will it pump everybody into overshield? Is there any way we can make the decay on overshield about 25x faster?
I think that is a key piece of information right there, and if figured out, would allow for instantaneous 300 HP/SP pickups with little to no negative side-effect.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sebastin Creed wrote:Wasn't there another thread or mention in a thread, by Amoné - about being able to spawn those ammo and shield generators via admin?
There was.

Ignoring the fact our temple map is already kitted out with enough HP / SP top ups, beginning of missions is deffinitely an issue when it comes to shields.

I still maintain that shield generators would be perfect here as you could pick them up and drop them at your leisure and they lack the clunky dialogue system that comes with NPC's.

As most missions go, people usually start with full HP anyway.
If it's not through Force Heal, it's through time.
We all know missions take a good length of time to start, even the combat-orientated ones. During this time HP restores and i've never seen a case where HP is not full prior to the action.

As for the second suggestion of altering the HP/Shields to max out with 1 pick up, that wouldn't bother me but i'm still not gagging for it.

It's a /shrug situation! :)

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Amoné Fayden wrote:
Sebastin Creed wrote:Wasn't there another thread or mention in a thread, by Amoné - about being able to spawn those ammo and shield generators via admin?
There was.
Works differently from the dispenser mechanic methinks. This uses an item's count value instead of a place-able entity like what you were suggesting. If anything, should we be able to figure out the workings and mechanics of each then it just gives us more tools in the toolbox.

Since we're on the topic of item modifications anyway, I'll leave this here for Soh or anyone else to look over: would it be possible to change item.dat lists on-demand? (requiring just a map restart) Say, have the 'default' list, then have a set of alternates. One, for instance, would have really crappy shield and medpack pickups, giving 1-5 hp/sp apiece, requiring players to depend less on map spawns and more on placed dispensers? Or possibly a list with 'big' health pickups but very small ammo pickups? Possibilities!