It's been posted before, but Class Suggestion + Poll

Post your ideas and suggestions here

Would you support some type of class change?

Yes
37%
Not sure
16%
No
26%
I don't care
21%

Total votes: 19

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Really liking what I'm seeing from Tomoran. I'm interested in what you do with it.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

So based on what I have gleaned from classes.dat and my new knowledge of templates, I think this is worth sharing with you:

At level 24, Sentinels can have level 5 of every skill except for 2: Heal Others and Meld.

At level 24, Guardians still have 6 skills restricted to level 4 while the others are all 5.

Consulars have 5 restricted to level 4 at level 24.

Why the disparity? Why the lack of balance?

So I revised the template code for my system. Since I intend to have saber skills open to all classes, I am considering 16 skills with 5 levels a piece. Since every class will have 5 of everything at 25 (out of necessity at this point, you literally have enough XP to buy everything at this point with how XP works for right now, would love to change that later)** I know that at level 25 people need 80 template points. I also know I want them to be able to have level 3 of every skill at 15. That's 48. At level 1 I chose 5 skills to have open to be level 1. The 5 core.

So here's my template progression map for the classes as a baseline:

80 at 25 *
74 at 24
68 at 23
65 at 22
62 at 21
59 at 20
56 at 19
54 at 18
52 at 17
50 at 16
48 at 15 *
44 at 14
40 at 13
36 at 12
32 at 10
28 at 9
25 at 8
22 at 7
19 at 6
16 at 5
13 at 4
10 at 3
7 at 2
5 at 1 *

My intent is to have all the classes follow basic guidelines that make them all as balanced as possible.

It's important that all the considerations go into the system I come up with.

** - Though, as I mentioned earlier, I may consider capping the total XP that certain classes can gain.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

It'd be nice to have a chart that shows what class have what hp/fp/available powers at the different levels.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I'd give it to you if I had finalized the numbers yet but I haven't.

EDIT: Or do you mean for existing classes?
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

For your version of classes.
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Well the easiest way to read that will be a spreadsheet so I will make a google doc for my post, I guess. Like I said, I still have work to do.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

The real trick is working out which skills unlock at what levels in each class.
I personally would suggest we avoid an "Unlock 1 skill at a time" system.
I like the idea of having the 5 core abilities there at level 1 as that gives choice from the very start.

Perhaps have several skills become available at key level-ups to prevent people from having to follow a linear leveling experience where they can only apply points to the first single "specialized" skill that's available to them.
Maybe we could even incorporate a means of unlocking a certain skill earlier if a person does happen to pick the appropriate specialized class.

I think we can all agree though, that some JKA Force Powers should be classed as "Advanced", such as Storm, Slow, Meld and Heal Other.

For example, here is how I see it:

Easy (Early) Skills:

Jump (1-2 levels)
Speed (1-2 levels)
Push (1-2 levels)
Pull (1-2 levels)
Sense (1-2 levels)
Saber Offense (Blue)
Saber Defense (1-2 levels)

Medium (Developing) Skills:

Jump (2-3 levels)
Push (2-3 levels)
Pull (2-3 levels)
Sense (2-3 levels)
Saber Offense (Blue - Yellow)
Saber Defense (2-3 levels)
Saber Throw (1-2 levels)
Heal (1-2 levels)
Fury (Or an "expansion to Speed") (1-2 levels)
Hold (1-2 levels)
Protect (1-2 levels)
Absorb (1-2 levels)
Mind Trick (1-2 levels)

Hard (Advanced) Skills:

Jump (3-4 levels)
Push (3-4 levels)
Pull (3-4 levels)
Sense (3-4 levels)
Saber Offense (Blue - Red)
Saber Defense (3-4 levels)
Saber Throw (3-4 levels)
Heal (3-4 levels)
Fury (Or an "expansion to Speed") (3-4 levels)
Hold (3-4 levels)
Protect (3-4 levels)
Absorb 3-4 levels)
Mind Trick (3-4 levels)
Slow (1-3 levels)
Storm (1-3 levels)
Force Meld (1-3 levels)
Heal Other (1-3 levels)

Master (End) Skills:

Jump (4-5 levels)
Push (4-5 levels)
Pull (4-5 levels)
Sense (4-5 levels)
Saber Offense (Blue - Tavion & Desaan)
Saber Defense (4-5 levels)
Saber Throw (4-5 levels)
Heal (4-5 levels)
Fury (Or an "expansion to Speed") (4-5 levels)
Hold (4-5 levels)
Protect (4-5 levels)
Absorb (4-5 levels)
Mind Trick (4-5 levels)
Slow (4-5 levels)
Storm (4-5 levels)
Force Meld (4-5 levels)
Heal Other (4-5 levels)

This is simply my own personal idea of what is an Entry Level power and what is an Advanced power and still leaves room for even Masters to progress. People are going to feel differently of course!
It's a lot to think about.

Sorry for yet another lengthy post!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Amoné Fayden wrote:I personally would suggest we avoid an "Unlock 1 skill at a time" system.
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Tomoran wrote:...

80 at 25 *
74 at 24
68 at 23
65 at 22
62 at 21
59 at 20
56 at 19
54 at 18
52 at 17
50 at 16
48 at 15 *
44 at 14
40 at 13
36 at 12
32 at 10
28 at 9
25 at 8
22 at 7
19 at 6
16 at 5
13 at 4
10 at 3
7 at 2
5 at 1 *

As the example shows, people will not unlock "one skill at a time" as they level up. Students aren't allowed to get over level 3 in anything and every class at level 15, every class looks the same. They all have a template that has level 3 of every skill unlocked. Nothing higher. Nothing lower. That's the baseline. That's the landmark. I'm tempted to make basically an 'open' template for students because it's impossible for you to extend beyond a certain point. Since the vast majority of individuals are Knighted between 14 and 16, this should mean that no student will be starving for skills to put points into, and once they hit 16, they'll immediately start unlocking potential level 4 powers. Depending on the specific mastery, they'll be looking at level 5 powers not too far down the line. It starts at upgrading 2 powers at a time and jumps to 3 later on. Considering the amount of experience between levels at that point gives an opportunity to pick up a little bit here and there they'll always have the basic levels of all powers (up to 3) available and saber powers (offense and defense) up to 5 will be unlocked for anyone.

There should be plenty to spend on and people shouldn't be limited to a single upgrade path (given the expanding templates and about a dozen different class options to choose from)
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

That sounds pretty good.
I'm pleased with something along those lines.

Looking forward to a proposed draft now!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Also, according to Canon, telekinesis would be classified under Alter abilities and thus Initiates shouldn't be picking that stuff up on day two. My character still has got his head around it. Poor him :(.