Expanding rpdump

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Expanding rpdump

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Affects: Server-Side/Commands

Summary: Expand upon the specific abilities of rpdump and how it stores/loads information.

Suggestion: As it stands, you can create a 'dump' of all spawnpoints, npcs, securitydoors (essentially saving everything in a static state). This is useful, and can allow a great deal of prep-work to be done ahead of time, for that specific map. On top of that, only one dump may be made for that map (insofar as I am aware), and when the map loads it will auto-load that dump along with it (set spawn points, spawn npcs, and create security locks on doors).

I would propose that when a dump is made, instead of saving as a .cfg for that specific map, one could write a generic .cfg, with the ability to load said dump on demand instead of on-mapchange.

/rpdump all burrito

and

/rpdump load burrito

Would write all available settings to burrito.cfg to the server's directory, and likewise, load it again (without a map restart).

This way, missions/scenarios/etc. can be set up server-side at the leisure of the admin, and prep-time can be better spent going over character roles or plot or what have you.

Likewise, an rpclearall confirm command would be nice, to execute npc kill all, rpweather remove all, rpspawnpoint remove all (not reallyall), rpmusic default, rpsound remove all, rpsecuritydoor remove all, and any other settings to return the current map to it's default settings (again, without a map restart).

Also, no idea if it's possible, but if you could also dump weather, rpshader, and music, that'd be nice too. :)

Implementation: What do you take me for, some kind of programmer or something? :P My best guess would be to save everything in a form that can be exec'ed easily.

References: The RPMod Commands List.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

An Excellent suggestion Sared!

This way we could essentially have a list of pre-configured simulations etc.
You know, different bot layouts etc. Then have something like:

/rpdump all StealthCourseEasy
/rpdump all StealthCourseHard

You would then start up the appropriate Map and simply load the dump with:

/rpdump load StealthCourseEasy

One thing we would need to be very careful of though would be to not load the wrong dump for the wrong map.
That could be disastrous!
(NPC's stuck in walls or under the ground etc.)

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Sasha Raven
Lost One

Post by Sasha Raven »

Sounds fairly cool. I'm not so RPMOD technically inclined however, the advantages of doing this would be obvious.

/I believe in Sared.
|height_5.11ft.|race_human| mentor_corinth.alkorda|Skin : http://www.gamefront.com/files/24280582/Sasha.zip