Level 4/5 Speed Update

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Saos Nartu
Lost One

Re: Level 4/5 Speed Update

Post by Saos Nartu »

In the Phantom Menace, right at the beginning, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon use Force Speed or Dash to get away from the Droideka. And they run fast, I really hope to see Force Speed matching that standard. That's my whole desire with this post.

name_saosnartu|age_17|species_kiffar|rank_initiate

Rian Vun
Lost One

Post by Rian Vun »

Well, the thing here is, Saos, unless you restrict speed that fast to a straight line, it's very hard to control via game mechanics the faster you get. Going very fast just gets sloppy and ugly looking, and there's no real advantage if you can't control yourself.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I don't know... I played a lot of Sonic when I was younger. :P

Too fast is too fast though, that's true.
Maybe I speak for myself but I could definitely handle more than our current speed, which I believe is 50%?

So in hindsight there wouldn't be a need to make it max at 100% but certainly allow a progressive speed advancement accompanied by other benefits (sniper dodging, long-jumps, longer duration.)

So instead of simply starting at 50% on first purchase, spread the speed progression out over the 5 levels.
This way it will assure that those who have invested more XP into the skill will always be better rewarded than first time buyers. (As is demonstrated by Hold, Push, Pull etc.)

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I agree, but you'll get more out of 'long jumps' by strafe jumping than adding in that horrendous no-pivot animation from single player. I think 30/40/50/60/70% speed increase is relatively fair so that lower levels aren't 'worthless' and higher levels are a bit higher. Maybe 25/40/55/70/85 tops.

As for having the reflexes to handle it - I think a lot of people do but literally in-game when your character starts moving that fast it stops registering things like saber hitboxes or the simplest geometries will hurl you into the sky (no joke)

And I think being able to dodge any fire would be a cool feature for higher level speed. Duration I think could go maybe ... 10/15/20/25/30 or 5/10/15/20/30.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

I'm liking this idea, would certain make Speed more appealing to the mass.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Tomoran wrote:-I think 30/40/50/60/70% speed increase is relatively fair so that lower levels aren't 'worthless' and higher levels are a bit higher. Maybe 25/40/55/70/85 tops.

-Duration I think could go maybe ... 10/15/20/25/30
Even without the added perks that have been mentioned, I am sold on this.
If the ability to dodge some shots could be included then it's just an added bonus.

As for people who feel anything above 50% is too much, then they'd be saving themselves the XP by advancing Speed no further than 50%. Take it as far as you feel it's controlable and relevant to your character's abilities.

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

No doubt. In the way that some people can get along fine with just jump 2 (you can make basically any jump in basejka maps with just jump 2, for the record) and others like going all the way up to jump 5 (which is just about pointless in comparison to jump 4) you can stop speed wherever you think it fits you.

But seriously, super speed on some levels is terrifying. I'd be glad to show anyone who wants to see what it's like to hit a ramp with mega speed and suddenly careen to their doom in frictionless antilogic mechanics.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Just exercise the similar precautions you do with odd hitboxes on spawnable crates or those invisible walls you get on some single player maps when you try to clear a simple jump.
Han Solo wrote:Without precise calculations, we'd fly right through a star, bounce too close to a supernova, and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?
No?... >_>

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker.

I'm saying it's hilarious.

Alas, I feel sometimes we do not get each other.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Tomoran wrote:I'm not saying it's a dealbreaker.

I'm saying it's hilarious.

Alas, I feel sometimes we do not get each other.
Well it's more along the lines that if a suggested change makes something hillarious then it suggests (disclaimer: to me) that it miiiight be a poor idea.

Pointing out that a game mechanic is OOCly hillarious comes across as a negative when it's meant to be placed within an RP context.

It's like:

"Like my new hair cut?"
"It's hillarious"

Anyway, you're right. We'd be at this all day and I don't want to really diffuse Saos' suggestion thread any more than we have already. :x

Pretty pleased with the suggestions made and look forward to seeing Speed ticked off Soh's list of Powers left to do. :)

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

There are a lot of things hilarious about this game, though.

Broadsword? The best. If this game had havok? Goodness, I doubt I could stop laughing. Physics systems in general are worth tons of laughs. And they'd make plenty of sense ICly.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

I can see where the concern of controlling higher levels of speed comes from. Since most of the time the power is used by students trying to replicate an air conditioning unit on adderall.

If it was simply used for transit, it'd be no concern at all. Just point yourself in the way you want to go, press F3 or whatever, and pew pew off you go. The game does have a little spin down time for your characters to stop moving, it's just not too obvious at normal speeds. It would be if you turned the server friction to something ridiculous like 10, but in the meantime I guess you'l just have to trust that it's there!

So at these higher speeds the slowdown would be more pronounced, but I think once you got the hang of the effect it would be easy for you to control should you have to get around a corner.

I like the suggestion, because if I had the available points to spend and will to spend them... traversing t2_trip at the same speed as strafejumping (probably wouldn't go that fast) without so much as thinking of tapping the space bar is preeeeetty appealing. You know you're a Jedi when you're outrunning a starfighter on foot. :P
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I scanned all te postso n page 2...>,>

For those of us who watched The Clone Wars(the comics on cartoon network) mace windu used for speed to traverse a great distance. It was pretty freaken epic 8) . I would like to see that. O and those telekensis punches XD!

G/\abriel
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/J ... ack;109999 My skin

height4.5 Ft.|race_Felecatian| mentor_None|Rank_Hopefull
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

We all love the clone wars cartoons but they represent a very, VERY inflated and over the top representation of Jedi abilities. It definitely does not show what I think we should work to recreate in our abilities balance and if we did then it'd require just as epic of moments to challenge Jedi characters (and trust me, most maps will lag to death with even a few people shooting thanks to this crappy engine)
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

aye we do need to get upgrade the engine. :lol: Dear Santa....
http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/J ... ack;109999 My skin

height4.5 Ft.|race_Felecatian| mentor_None|Rank_Hopefull