Level 4/5 Speed Update

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Saos Nartu
Lost One

Level 4/5 Speed Update

Post by Saos Nartu »

After some thinking about the powers, I was wondering if it's possible to alter the speed settings for Speed. I thought about it, and Force Rage makes the user move substantially faster than with Speed. I was wondering if it was possible to add that speed to level 4 and 5 Speed, minus the damage and red glowing aura, that is. It'll give the power more effect as well as duration. I think it would be great for specialized Jedi such as Jenny, whom are adept in agility and speed.

So to conclude, having Force Speed level 4 and 5 given the speed Force Rage provides, if that's possible. May the discussion begin.

name_saosnartu|age_17|species_kiffar|rank_initiate

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Re: Level 4/5 Speed Update

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Sadly I don't believe that's the case.
Fury increases animation speed.
The travel speed of fury is not faster than Speed from what I've seen.
I've experiemented with them as I have both.

I would however, love to see Speed altered.

Right now in the information section, it says Speed 1-3 is "BaseJKA".
I've since spoken to Soh and he has confirmed there is no difference in actual speed between levels 1-3, only their duration.
It's been a long time since I actually played on Base JKA but according to what I could find, Base JKA uses this format:
Level 1: 25% faster for 10 secs.
Level 2: 50% faster for 15 secs.
Level 3: 75% faster for 20 secs.
I'd love to see that.

In addition I would add the ability to "leap" or "long jump" from levels 3+ as is possible in single player and JA+ etc.

As for levels 4 and 5, there's a few things you could do.
Levels 4: 85% faster for 25 secs. Dodge sniper shots as you do with Sense.
Level 5: 100% faster for 30 seconds. Dodge sniper shots as you do with Sense.
Obviously just brainstorming here.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Saos Nartu
Lost One

Post by Saos Nartu »

Absolutely. Those are great.

name_saosnartu|age_17|species_kiffar|rank_initiate

Des Anaro
Lost One

Post by Des Anaro »

I quite agree. It would not only be nice to have new speed durations, it would be more realistic as well. Someone who's reached Speed level 3 would be well trained in the ability, and should be able to move faster and not nly longer than someone who's just started to learn it. As for the "long leap", I also agree, would be nice to have!
|Species_Human | Homeworld_Kashyyyk | Mentor_Sai Akiada | Padawan_Jel'a Vra |
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I'm on the same page as Amoné.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I feel there needs to be that little bit more than extended duration to make Speed worth while.
Most people toggle speed off before it even runs it's course. no pun intended.

So really Speed is only used practically for 5 second bursts rather than prolonged 15, 20, 25, 30 seconds and so on.

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

For the record, 75% faster for 20 seconds is WAY too much. WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much.

Base speed in g_speed is 250.

Speed increases speed by 50% right now, I think. That's 375. Increasing the speed to 75% will up 250 to 437. That's a 62 point boost. Consider this:

437 for 20 seconds is 8740 units.
375 for 20 seconds is 7500 units.
250 for 20 seconds is 5000 units.

The issues with speed, to me, are as follows:

1) Cost - a flat 50 is silly. I think that given the fact that it HALTS force power regeneration that a lower cost is more than reasonable to balance that other force usage is essentially killed while you have it on.

2) Scaling - as of right now, this ability is a one point wonder. Totally absurd.

Here's what I suggest:

Level 1
Increases speed by 30% for 2.0 seconds. Costs 20 Force. (Increases units traveled in 2 seconds from 500 to 650. Primarily a 'jump boost' or 'dash' power to close gaps)

Level 2
Increases speed by 40% for 4.0 seconds. Costs 20 Force. (Increases units traveled in 4 seconds from 1000 to 1400. Quick usage to cross hostile rooms, escape dangerous situations, etc.)

Level 3
Increases speed by 50% for 6.0 seconds. Costs 20 Force. (Increases units traveled in 6 seconds from 1500 to 2250. All purpose, greatly extends jumps, allows for accelerated but not uncontrolled movement.)

Level 4
Increases speed by 60% for 8.0 seconds. Costs 20 Force. Will dodge gunfire while active. (Increases units traveled in 8 seconds from 2000 to 3200. Few will be able to control themselves at this speed. It will allow individuals to navigate ridiculous gaps and move so fast that basically nothing will hit them.)

Level 5
Increases speed by 70% for 10.0 seconds. Costs 20 Force. Will dodge gunfire while active. (Increases units traveled in 10 seconds from 2500 to 4250. This is ludicrous speed. You will be able to jump across the Grand Canyon. You will outrun people boosting on speeder bikes and the slightest hill will launch your character halfway to the skybox.)
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Persoanlly, I don't disagree with the speed values or the cost but I would like to see the durations stay the same as they are now.

Right now we can toggle off speed prematurely and as I mentioned before, most people do this when it's used in spars.

However I would still like the option of being able to sprint for some time in situations such as escaping an area etc, racing etc.

Having the skill activated for long periods of time will have the added drawback of no Force Regen for it's duration so the player will still need to consider that when leaving it "on" for too long.

Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Frankly, I find speed 1 to be the only useful type of speed. Combine speed 1 with jump 3 and you can already go around 3x the distance of a normal jump if you know some tricks. Of course on the ground its not very fast at all, especially if you're trying to traverse long distances. But, if you take someone with the speed 5 mentioned here, and have them bunny hop across the ground they'd probably be able to travel in time at the speed they would be going.

I can agree with Tomoran on it being a "one point wonder", but changing ALL of the speed percentages seems a bit much, considering most of us that are used to the 50% increase in speed will want to pump XP into it just so we can get our game feel back.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Jenny Wrix wrote:But, if you take someone with the speed 5 mentioned here, and have them bunny hop across the ground they'd probably be able to travel in time at the speed they would be going.
Well one shouldn't be speed bunny-hopping in the first place. :P
There's always ways to exploit game play for the lolz but that's hardly our focus and should warrant a slap!

The point would be to introduce a learning curve to the skill so that people new to speed would have that beginner's edge over people that didn't have the skill while at the same time not being on par with stronger practitioners.

However, much like other skills like Telekinesis and Heal etc, people that want to specialize their character in Speed should be rewarded with a greater bonus than somebody who just has 10-15 XP burning a hole in their pocket.

It undermines people that put effort into certain skills when somebody else flippantly takes the first level and ends up with the same output.

Then there's the case of Larger Model Scale = Runs faster... :(

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

They're also easier to hit, harder to use lightsabers with

Don't think that's really a good avenue to complain about.

Being short is OP.

EDIT: Some don't want to change the speed, some don't want to change the duration.

Looks like speed'll stay the way it is for a long time.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Rian Vun
Lost One

Post by Rian Vun »

Yes, I think higher speeds would be regardless harder to control for the player (even if the Jedi could maintain control!), but perhaps a slight increase with higher levels could be arranged?

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

I've also seen a mod that makes level 3 speed make you able to run across the surface of water. Maybe that's a bit far fetched but it's still a cool idea.
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

Oberon wrote:I've also seen a mod that makes level 3 speed make you able to run across the surface of water. Maybe that's a bit far fetched but it's still a cool idea.
That's a neat idea, I like it. But I'd save that for level 5, as something like that would be really advanced. Either way, I've been waiting for a long time to see the unfinished powers get a upgrade, speed included.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Speed 5 should just teleport you to where you're looking.

No, obviously not really.