Drop Lightsaber - Switch Weapon

Post your ideas and suggestions here
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Drop Lightsaber - Switch Weapon

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I really struggled to think of a title for this one and I apologize in advance if my description isn't clear.

Currently if you have a Lightsaber equipped and you /rpdropweapon or get disarmed in a spar, you cannot attack or change weapon until you have "pulled" your Lightsaber back.

Would it be possible to change this so a player can switch weapons while the hilt is on the floor?

It would be great that if we were disarmed in battle, we could switch to melee and have access to kicks and punches without having to first draw our hilt back.
Switching back to Lightsaber when you are ready would allow you to resume the "pull" to rearm yourself at your own discretion.

Another application would be to allow switching to other weapons when you lose your hilt.

I feel it would allow for more dynamic and interesting combat situations rather than being defenseless (melee) until you get your hilt back.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Tomoran
Exiled

Re: Drop Lightsaber - Switch Weapon

Post by Tomoran »

I believe the game handles 'disarm' as essentially being 'disabled' where if you lose the lightsaber weapon you're still currently USING the weapon lightsaber but it has no functions.

For this reason, I am entirely clueless as to whether or not this is possible but I think it's a good idea. Especially when people 'pull' lightsabers several miles and stand there for a few minutes whilst it twirls through the air to them.
If you never want to spar, just get Storm 4-5, keeps all the crazies away.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

/support both accounts.

Good idea, Amoné and good points made by Tomoran (even if I do find it amusing my hilt can fly through buildings from the other side of the map to me! ...I am epic Jedi).

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Jenny Wrix
Lost One

Post by Jenny Wrix »

Pulling your hilt back should be restricted to range based on your pull level or something. (But that's another suggestion in itself) I don't find this suggestion necessary for three reasons.

1. It's relatively easy to just tap your primary fire button until your hilt comes back, you aren't going to die if you just hop around somewhere, hide behind something etc. until your hilt can be pulled back.

2. It's a game's mechanics, while this might sound awkward it's not really fair if you're able to switch your weapons after you've just been disarmed, that's the whole point of being disarmed, so you're at a disadvantage while someone gets a chance to hack and slash at you.

3. You can still use flip kicks and all of your force powers. If you kick them and get lucky, push 3, pull 3, grip 3 anything that can launch them off their feet or stop them from doing anything, this reinforces reason #1. Plus speed makes you nearly impossible to hit if you just keep moving around randomly.

Now, I realize this could also be aimed towards roleplay moments when you purposefully drop your hilt somewhere and you don't want to/aren't allowed to pick it back up, you just go into your force powers menu and set yourself to saber offense 0.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Jenny Wrix wrote:Pulling your hilt back should be restricted to range based on your pull level or something. (But that's another suggestion in itself) I don't find this suggestion necessary for three reasons.

1. It's relatively easy to just tap your primary fire button until your hilt comes back, you aren't going to die if you just hop around somewhere, hide behind something etc. until your hilt can be pulled back.

2. It's a game's mechanics, while this might sound awkward it's not really fair if you're able to switch your weapons after you've just been disarmed, that's the whole point of being disarmed, so you're at a disadvantage while someone gets a chance to hack and slash at you.

3. You can still use flip kicks and all of your force powers. If you kick them and get lucky, push 3, pull 3, grip 3 anything that can launch them off their feet or stop them from doing anything, this reinforces reason #1. Plus speed makes you nearly impossible to hit if you just keep moving around randomly.

Now, I realize this could also be aimed towards roleplay moments when you purposefully drop your hilt somewhere and you don't want to/aren't allowed to pick it back up, you just go into your force powers menu and set yourself to saber offense 0.
Well, strictly speaking even if you are disarmed you wouldn't suddenly not be able to use your hands and have to rely on kicking or force abilities on their own to get you out of a pickle. Also, like the points above suggested the whole pulling from across the map is a little silly and I'm fully aware that it's just game mechanics sadly.

However, I do agree that say I had my hilt and a blaster from a guard I disarmed a while ago. If I suddenly found myself cut off from my hilt, I should technically be able to switch to melee or the choice to use the blaster should I decide it. Even then, I am still at a disadvantage with hardly any defence until I got my lightsaber back. I don't think we would be able to stop the floating hilt back to ones hand, but I do think (if it was possible) we should be able to switch to melee attacks or other equipped weapons should we become disarmed of our Lightsaber hilt.

It's realistic but still has it's disadvantages.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

These points are all pro-FFA Jenny.

If a person drops their hilt, they're not dropping their hands.
A person without a Lightsaber/vibrosword should still be able to punch, kick, switch to a repeater etc without first having to draw back their weapon and holster it.

The idea was to add the option of switching to melee if you want.
It's not saying that when you lose your saber you automatically switch to fisticuffs.

You can continue to hop around and flip kick your way to victory until your saber returns if that's what you enjoy. This suggestion won't change that.

But I think swapping to melee should be a possibility without needing the hilt on your belt.

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

I think it's really just that the game engine originally did not even have 'melee' programmed in so it never had to account for this thing.

As for things being "Pro-FFA" I think that's a rather ridiculous buzzword that doesn't inspire much faith in the velocity of a viewpoint. We can establish our positions without assuming loaded stances or proposing that our opponents assume loaded stances.

I'd be fine with this if it's possible. Though, disarm only happens as a result of saber clash and the priority system and switching to fists against another saber is the same as running around like a chicken without a head, anyway. Still, the option to flail like our resident fight club hopefuls is an acceptable option.
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

It's also like Obi Wan losing his saber (during those countless fights he did so!) but rather than running and landing a drop kick to the face (as he did in one), he high tails it and bunny hops until it boomerangs back to him. :lol:

Not saying it's a wise choice to go Fist Versus Saber, or Gun Versus Saber - but having the option should be there for miracle moments.

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

I didn't assume anything and my "buzz-word" was founded on the fact that Jenny's suggestions were the sort of behaviors glorified on dedicated FFA servers where scoring and winning is more important that than remaining humble and realistic to the setting. And that's not a loaded stance, that's just wide-spread common knowledge.

Anyway, If this was a misinterpretation on my part then I'm very sorry.

As for the suggestion, it's neither a change or removal of our current tactics for retrieving our Lightsabers and resuming combat, but opening an alternative.
I know for a fact Kenta would enjoy jump kicking Amoné in the chops when she deflects his thrown-lightsaber across the room and watching it bounce to the floor.
I also predict a Jedi with a secured blaster wouldn't be opposed to drawing it out if they lost their lightsaber (Á la Obi-Wan shooting Grievous in the chest).

Tomoran wrote:I think it's really just that the game engine originally did not even have 'melee' programmed in so it never had to account for this thing.
This is very true, though It doesn't account for blasters which are part of the game. I haven't actually tested to see if this same restriction is persistent in Single Player.

Either way since I'm no RP-Mod programmer, I really couldn't point out specifically how to do this. However, I think the best place to start looking would be in the area that dictates what actions are allowed/restricted upon Lightsaber disarm or /rpdropweapon.

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

I can see the benefit of this suggestion. Sure, if you're in a saber spar, jumping in fist first against a saber would be ill-advised and, well, stupid - but RPMod extends beyond Jedi Vs Jedi. I can think of a fair few instances where this could be utilised. Freeing up your hands when disarmed would be interesting.

If it is possible and Soh has the will, great :)

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Des Anaro
Lost One

Post by Des Anaro »

Agreed. I see no no reason not to implement this, if, as Sai said, possible and if Soh is willing. But again, as the Speed suggestion, it would add more realism to the roleplay and combat situations in specific.
|Species_Human | Homeworld_Kashyyyk | Mentor_Sai Akiada | Padawan_Jel'a Vra |
Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Sai Akiada wrote:I can see the benefit of this suggestion. Sure, if you're in a saber spar, jumping in fist first against a saber would be ill-advised and, well, stupid - but RPMod extends beyond Jedi Vs Jedi. I can think of a fair few instances where this could be utilised. Freeing up your hands when disarmed would be interesting.

If it is possible and Soh has the will, great :)
Yes, but nothing disarms you except for other lightsabers! I'm still for the idea.
Amoné Fayden wrote:I didn't assume anything and my "buzz-word" was founded on the fact that Jenny's suggestions were the sort of behaviors glorified on dedicated FFA servers where scoring and winning is more important that than remaining humble and realistic to the setting. And that's not a loaded stance, that's just wide-spread common knowledge.

Anyway, If this was a misinterpretation on my part then I'm very sorry.
The bold is my emphasis. This is remarkably 'loaded' language. You've set two comically contrasting viewpoints (which don't include 'FFA' servers with strict rules or 'JEDI' spars where people can/do anything to win, anyway [speed fanners come to mind]) and given them ridiculous comparisons to paint one as comical and irrelevant to our setting.

Alas! I don't think you intended it to be offensive or purposeful. It is simply how it came across to me and a few others. Don't worry about it.

I'm still for the idea.

And you can kick jump while your saber is disarmed.

EDIT: And you can still use force powers, as was mentioned, which means using your hands/legs.

And we know the suggestion is for you. I don't care if you switch to a pistol when your saber gets swatted away. If you do a /seta forcepowers bind you can void your saber offense and switch to your blaster and then /seta forcepowers bind for saber offense to be turned back on so that you can 'retrieve' your lightsaber, I believe, giving you the window to pistolero until your heart is content.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Tomoran wrote: And we know the suggestion is for you.
Of course it is.
The same way Heal Other and Class system changes are for you.
Or Lightsaber Offense changes might be for Rash.
Or Telekinesis changes might be for Aslyn.

We make these suggestions because they come to mind as we experience them first hand.

I seriously doubt my character would be the only person to benefit from this.

Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Tomoran wrote:Yes, but nothing disarms you except for other lightsabers!
You're forgetting /rpdropweapon for role play purposes.

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Tomoran
Exiled

Post by Tomoran »

Amoné Fayden wrote:
Tomoran wrote: And we know the suggestion is for you.
Of course it is.
The same way Heal Other and Class system changes are for you.
Or Lightsaber Offense changes might be for Rash.
Or Telekinesis changes might be for Aslyn.

We make these suggestions because they come to mind as we experience them first hand.

I seriously doubt my character would be the only person to benefit from this.
# of people who have heal others: 8+
# of people who have characters bound to classes 'Not Knight': 8+
# of people with Lightsaber Offense 3+: 8+
# of people with telekinetic powers level 4-5: 8+
# of people with a pistol bound to their rpmod account: 1

And no, you won't be the only one to benefit from it. But they're not the same.
Sai Akiada wrote:
Tomoran wrote:Yes, but nothing disarms you except for other lightsabers!
You're forgetting /rpdropweapon for role play purposes.
Of course. I can't control if someone sees a big creature and drops their saber and runs off. I can't stop them from thinking that a shot to the blade from a powerful blaster rifle would make them drop their saber (nevermind that the velocity is not transferred) though a shot to the hand would probably make you drop your lightsaber. Though, I very much doubt you can use a mangled hand to fire a pistol, either. Etc. Etc.

I'm -still- fine with this change. I'm STILL fine with it.
Last edited by Tomoran on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.