Steam and Avast Anti Virus Protection.

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Steam and Avast Anti Virus Protection.

Post by Kieran Orion »

This seems to be something of an international phenomenon when concerned the last update of Steam following the "Free boarderlands" update for the Steam client.

Now, I've run all over the tech support area of the Steam forums and seem to have a common problem in that I am using both program's and the same file "vstdlib_s.dll" is being determined as an apparent virus, it's not but that doesn't appear to stop my protection system from finding the much needed file and deleting or moving it to the virus chest. I still have not seem to find a fix to it despite following many steps to do so.

For those of you using steam - this is not only restricted to those with Avast in every case so if something does go amiss, I suggest you check out "http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=2840432" and perhaps you will have better luck than I.

In the mean time, it seems I've awoken at the crack of dawn for no reason at all. I cannot get on JKA until either an update is released to fix the issue or I pull a miracle out of my ass.

Goodluck ladies and gentlemen of Steam.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Re: Steam and Avast Anti Virus Protection.

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Shouldn't you be able to put an exception or remove the file from the virus database? Just spouting ideas here. There's usually false-positive rerouts in virus programs, perhaps ask around on Avast forums?
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Indeed, you should.

Does it work for me? Apparently not.

Another part of the issue on the given url is that I'm not the only one so I figured I'd give a heads up to everyone else in case it happens to them. I can't do much else lol.

EDIT: I seem to have found that miracle. Only problem is that I excluded the entire C drive....I guess I'll need to be patient and update later. For now, I will be available in game...Though I'm also going to look into a new protection system. Avast has always lacked in quality regardless...and I'm not willing to keep an entire drive excluded for long.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

Not to topic bash, but the Help & Support section is supposed to be JKA/Rpmod related. :)

Species: Ryn

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Very good point, Nastajja.

I will do well to remember that in future.

Though I do play JKA through Steam, I will keep it Rpmod/::JEDI:: related from now on. :wink:

Admin EDIT: thread moved to ((OOC))