Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Guys!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/arch ... -2015.aspx

Thoughts?

I personally don't like Lucas at all, he consistently ruins Star Wars. I love him for his idea, but hate him for his views.

I'm not a fan of Disney, but they own Marvel, and the films they've made under marvel have been entertaining at worst (Amazing Spider-Man), and amazing at best (The Avengers), so I'm really looking forward to Episode VII!
Ralsheend Jhurask
Lost One

Re: Disney Buys Lucasfilm

Post by Ralsheend Jhurask »

I don't expect this thread to remain up for long, since it's not technically JEDI-related, but thought I'd throw this note in, courtesy of Reuters RRS feed.
Roger Iger, chairman and CEO of Disney said fans can expect to see more Star Wars movie more often. "In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the 'Disney-Lucasfilm' brand," he said.
"That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."
I died a little on the inside. I can only hope that they're filming some of the EU books, hence the short turn around. Perhaps the Thrawn trilogy for Eps 7-9? :(
Skrassk
Lost One

Post by Skrassk »

Fate of the Jedi series please!

I love the books.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Qyzen wrote:Fate of the Jedi series please!

I love the books.
That is a pretty good series of books. I've only read a few of the early ones though.

As far as the new arrangement; I'm unsure. Personally, I think it may lead to clone wars quality movies with a higher budget generated simply for no other purpose but more and more merchandise. Or giving Disney more stuff to cram into their Tomorrowland parks.

In short, in all likelihood we're headed further down the prequel rabbit hole of overblown CGI effects and shoving as much stuff into the movie that can be made into money for as many years to come as possible. Sadly, all at the expense of likable characters, convincing dialogue, and intriguing story.

All that said, I'd really love to be pleasantly surprised. Besides, the prequels were still interesting if only for the stuff you weren't supposed to be focusing on. (Background lore, architecture, tech, etc.)
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Well, George Lucas approached Disney with LucasArts, which is something I am honestly glad to hear about. This will allow us to see more movies, that will also be going and spreading out.. they aren't going to just stick with the main lines that George Lucas started with. They've actually said they are looking into following others as well, such as the Mandalorian's.

I think this will be great for Star Wars. The older generation and George Lucas saw Star Wars as one way, yet those in my generation see it as something slightly different, and now the people who worked for LucasArts (who are keeping their jobs, just transferring under Disney) will be able to do that without having George Lucas deny them because it isn't how he sees it.

So yeah, I'm expecting to see quite a few great things from this.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7l ... ture=g-u-u

This video shows George and Kathleen talking, only a little bit more information but there it is for anyone who is interested
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

I find the top comments on the video to be both amusing and agreeable.
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Ralsheend Jhurask wrote:
I died a little on the inside. I can only hope that they're filming some of the EU books, hence the short turn around. Perhaps the Thrawn trilogy for Eps 7-9? :(
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Nastajja Arren
Lost One

Post by Nastajja Arren »

They wouldn't be able to do the Thrawn trilogy, the actors are too old now. But maybe something to do with Jacen and Jaina, as they could bring back the old actors in their old age? I can't see them going as far into the future as Cade Skywalker though, too much not-disney-friendly content.

Species: Ryn

Saos Nartu
Lost One

Post by Saos Nartu »

Well Disney has done movies with Marvel, so The Avengers, Spiderman, Iron Man etc etc. It could have a little darkness in it.

name_saosnartu|age_17|species_kiffar|rank_initiate

Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

True. Like Marvel, LucasFilm will remain it's own subsidiary company and will likely be able to generate the same content. So don't worry, you still get your violently electrified and incinerated Jedi. :?
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Yes it fills me with both dread and a giddy sort of excitement lol

They can't make Ep7/8/9 without it being about the Skywalker/Solo trees. Given the trend, it would make sense to be about their various kids. Anakin's story, then his kids story, then Lukes extended family story and so on.

If they want to make random starwars movies beyond that, I wouldn't be too upset. Can't be worse than EP1-2 lol

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Roahu
Lost One

Post by Roahu »

Episodes 7-9 = Jedi Knight Dark Forces, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Nastajja Arren wrote:They wouldn't be able to do the Thrawn trilogy, the actors are too old now.
I think this is true. Still, doing something that's later on, say something based on the Legacy of the Force novels or the Fate of the Jedi novels. Something set in the Old Republic era could be interesting, too.

I wouldn't worry too much about the movies losing their edge (which they never really had in the first place), and in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they got a bit more edgy. Comic books are typically for kids, and superhero movies have gotten much darker in general, Disney-owned Marvel being no exception. I can only hope they'll do the same for Star Wars.

Hobbit this year, hobbit next year, hobbit 2014, then.... STAR WARS!
Johauna Darkrider
Lost One

Post by Johauna Darkrider »

Not a fan of Disney brand too much. Kind of worried it'll turn to be a show for the kids, just like the Clone wars. I like the books more than the actual movies for a good reason. Even the original trilogy had this "fairy-tale" syndrome, where everything was very simplified and shallow; in comparison of some of the books I've read.

PS: No, I never liked fairy tales & would like to see a serious, maybe a bit darker Star Wars movie. :)
age --|height_1.65m|weight_54kg|race_human|mentor_ergo.stomi|jamus.kevari|arkallon
Nira wrote:I guess medicine isn't quite at the stage of being able to deal with stubborn Corellians.