[NEW] Name Change upon login

If you encounter a bug with RPMod, please post here
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

[NEW] Name Change upon login

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

This only started shortly before.
About 50% of the time when I log in, my name automatically changes from the correct one, to 'Padawan'.
I have nothing else bound to the key I use to login with.

EDIT: Upon Oberon's post, it has happened before that too, to me at least.
Last edited by Ahkro Cerinla on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Oberon
Lost One

Re: [NEW] Name Change upon login

Post by Oberon »

It's happened to me as well. Seems like it only started after the immense server lag last night.
Ashla Vasari
Lost One

Post by Ashla Vasari »

This has happened to me too, only once so far but I've seen others have experienced it as well. I guess it's a serverside thing more than anything else.
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

It happens as a result of logging in and/or out too quickly.

To replicate the issue:
  • /bind <key> /rplogin <username> <password>
  • /bind <key> /rplogout
  • Press "Log in" key and then "Log out" key in quick succession.
  • Your name will change to "Padawan".
I suspect this effect is a result of Soh changing the server to prevent that "jittery" effect we were getting on water/doors/elevators etc.
I can't quite remember what was changed exactly but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with preventing command flooding as well as scheduled server restarts to fix lag and FPS drops.

To fix:
  • Log out. Wait a few seconds.
  • /exec <config file name> to reload your config and correct name. (Hopefully most players will have this done by now). If not, type your name and tags manually using /name.
  • Wait for about ten to fifteen seconds.

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Roahu
Lost One

Post by Roahu »

I have the configure file loaded in the same bind as login, that may work as well for folks.
Ahkro Cerinla
Lost One

Post by Ahkro Cerinla »

Amoné Fayden wrote:It happens as a result of logging in and/or out too quickly.

To replicate the issue:
  • /bind <key> /rplogin <username> <password>
  • /bind <key> /rplogout
  • Press "Log in" key and then "Log out" key in quick succession.
  • Your name will change to "Padawan".
I suspect this effect is a result of Soh changing the server to prevent that "jittery" effect we were getting on water/doors/elevators etc.
I can't quite remember what was changed exactly but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with preventing command flooding as well as scheduled server restarts to fix lag and FPS drops.

To fix:
  • Log out. Wait a few seconds.
  • /exec <config file name> to reload your config and correct name. (Hopefully most players will have this done by now). If not, type your name and tags manually using /name.
  • Wait for about ten to fifteen seconds.
Sadly, the first part might reconstruct, but is not actually the issue, as I entered the game, and only then logged in for the first time in the day, at which point it changed. Next, the config file malfunctions because at login and the change to Padawan, I also receive the message: You have to wait longer than 5 seconds 'blabla.' Attempting to use the /exe command after results in no netto change of the name.
Species: Thyrsian | Born: 289.20 | Age:24 | Initiated:304.15 | Height: 1.83 | Weight: 84.2kg | Languages: Thyrsian mimetics, Basic, Huttese (Fluent), Shyriiwook (Understanding), Bocce (Fluent), Zabraki (Fluent)
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Ahkro Cerinla wrote: Sadly, the first part might reconstruct, but is not actually the issue, as I entered the game, and only then logged in for the first time in the day, at which point it changed. Next, the config file malfunctions because at login and the change to Padawan, I also receive the message: You have to wait longer than 5 seconds 'blabla.' Attempting to use the /exe command after results in no netto change of the name.
It's all about the timing of your commands.
It could be you're trying to execute too many commands (albeit different commands) within a short time period by entering them manually or by using a multi-bind with ";". (For example, as Roahu prescribes, having 1 key do multiple tasks.)
As you mentioned, there is a "cool down" on certain commands not unlike when you try to change between In-game and Spectator.

I experimented with this a little after it happened to Kieran and I on Galaxy and found my above solution to work best as a fix. There may be other work-arounds of course so feel free to comment on your own successes until Soh can explain in better terms.

Edit:

I just tested this on Galaxy and I can definitely get it to both break and fix.
The key seems to be in waiting at least 5 seconds between execing and Logging in/out. Give it a try!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Dewanta

Post by Dewanta »

Well this is pretty weird since I can log in perfectly fine...

Name: Dewanta | Age: 8 | Species: Wookiee | Homeworld: Kashyyyk
Speaks: Shyriiwook | Understands: Shyriiwook, Basic.

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

I never had this issue until we had the trip to Ossus that Azra'el held for us. Sadly for me it wasn't a matter of logging in or out too quickly because I waited three minutes after getting on the server, changed my name then logged into my account and it changed it to Padawan.

Azra and I both were having this issue and we found out the way to do it was to log in, wait a minute or two then we could change our name back and it worked. I don't know if its the exact same issue that's happening now, simply stating what had happened during Azra's trip to Ossus.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Rita Sandria
Lost One

Post by Rita Sandria »

I have been using my mac for the past few days and it seemed to be immune to this problem (funnily enough since my imac is a hive of glitches when it comes to JKA), but I got my laptop back today and this login error has been absolutely terrible. It hasn't just affected my name, it's also making model changes very difficult, no matter how long I wait, and my Force template is inaccessible.

Also, the top right corner; XP, class, and all that, hasn't been showing up when I login and sometimes only shows up when I log out. It's very confusing. Has anyone else had these additional problems with their login? (And I am waiting between commands)
Soh Raun
Jedi Master

Post by Soh Raun »

This issue is quite surprising, considering the amount of time the current RPMod version has been used without problems... I don't know yet if this can have any link with the move to a new server machine (running a 64-bit OS, while the previous one was 32-bit), but the JKA server configuration in itself hasn't changed.

Note that when a name change is refused, you need to wait 5 seconds at least, change your name to something completely different to what you originally wanted, wait 5 more seconds, then finally set your name back to what you want. These instructions are true for BaseJKA as well (RPMod hasn't improved this particular aspect of name change flood protection).

Also note that client command flood protection is still disabled on our servers, so beyond name change limits there shouldn't be any issue with quick succession of commands.

In any case, I will try to reproduce the issue to understand why this is happening...
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

A very strange problem indeed, one I have not encountered. My only suggestion would be to try this (yes, including the quotations and what not):

Code: Select all

/bind [key] "rplogin [account] [password]; exec [exec file]"
Worth a shot.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Strange indeed, but as long as it can be corrected without problem then I think we can panic less.

I never really experience this problem, but I always hit spectator before logging in and then exec my config fron spec or after I've joined game.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

So long as you have your setup binded or "written", it shouldn't be much a problem. Sometimes it will show you're not logged in despite having indeed logged in but once you jump in game, you'll be right. 'Tis not as big of an issue as it seems, just an inconvenience at times.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

I just got this error for the first time today. Though using the whole "/exec delmi" fixed the problem instantly. I suppose that can be used until someone figures out a more permanent solution.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri