JKA on OSX

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

JKA on OSX

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Hey guys, I recently got OSX up and running on my PC (hackintosh ftw), and would really like to be able to play jka, but as it's OSX Mountain Lion on an Intel processor and JKA was released for the PowerPC macs, I'm finding this to be a bit more difficult than anticipated. Any other intel mac jka'ers here that could help?
Motoko
Lost One

Re: JKA on OSX

Post by Motoko »

but.... why.....
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Post by Sibi Volunt »

why not? ;)
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Well, I don't know if this will work for you...and I refuse to really dig into it because I can't stand Apple products. However, JKHub has a post/announcement about Jedi Academy running on OS X, being re-released.

JKHub Post
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Post by Sai Akiada »

Motoko wrote:but.... why.....
Sibi Volunt wrote:why not? ;)
Sibi Volunt wrote:Hey guys, I recently got OSX up and running on my PC (hackintosh ftw), and would really like to be able to play jka, but as it's OSX Mountain Lion on an Intel processor and JKA was released for the PowerPC macs, I'm finding this to be a bit more difficult than anticipated.
That's why not! :P

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Point taken.

Real reason is just so that regardless of what OS I happened to be booted into, quickly hopping into the server won't be a problem. The app store and steam is a good lead, I'll see what I can get.
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Well I installed the Jedi Knight pack via steam (Dark Forces 1&2 anyone?), and yes the problem exists that I can't connect because I don't have all of the files the server has. Any chance someone could point me to a list of those files so I could download them? Hopefully then I'll be able to connect.
Skrassk
Lost One

Post by Skrassk »

viewtopic.php?p=78077#p78077

That might help, I think a similar issue was raised a while back.

Otherwise the only stuff you should have is - Vehicles, Npc's, Hilts, Animations with our skins and music optional, just make sure and I don't know if its the same as windows - That the vehicles, etc are in the RPmod folder I think and not base.

Usually the console gives a list of what you don't have if you scroll up it after connecting.

Other than that I'm not much help sorry :(.
Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

Naw that isn't the same issue this time around, Skrassk, that one won't work. This new one, you have to have all the files that are uploaded to the server you're trying to connect.

Sibi, the best thing you can do is to download all the files located here, along with going here, clicking on each individual one and clicking on the Maps tab, see what all maps are uploaded to each server..

Once you figure out what maps are on each server, you can then continue to go here and download all those said maps. Yes its going to take time, yes its a pain in everyone's rear end, but sadly this Steam option has this error...so this is a must if you're going to use what you're using.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Illrian Damaris wrote:sadly this Steam option has this error...so this is a must if you're going to use what you're using.
Methinks linux may just trump all yet again. Thanks for the help guys, but looks like OSX won't be a viable option for playing a 10-year-old game :P
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

You could use a program to emulate Windows on a Mac. But depending on your computer's specs, it could be laggy.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Sibi Volunt
Lost One

Post by Sibi Volunt »

Oh, I have a PC. I'm just triple-booting with OSX, Windows 8, and Arch Linux. It's not of critical (or really any) importance that I get JKA working on OSX (it in fact does work, just not connecting to the ::JEDI:: server), it would just be nice to not have to reboot into a different OS if I wanted to hop on the server quickly.

All in all, no big deal.