steam issues

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Esth Me'sku
Lost One

steam issues

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Hey i didnt know if anyone else used steam or not, but could someone help solve a problem?

Okay I use steam to load up my jka program, but it needs an update. But the update is a trojan virus lol. So i cant update steam without risking getting a virus, and i cant ignore the situation because i cant run steam to play jka. Thats why i havent been on in a few days.

Any ideas of what is going on?

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Re: steam issues

Post by Kieran Orion »

What Anti-Virus program are you using. Myself and several others run Steam pretty much constantly. It could be that your software isn't registering it as a legit update. I know AVG has had some issues with Steam in the past, as well as some other programs for me personally...

It seems unlikely that Steam would send everyone a Trojan. Is this update an automatic update or are you trying to get it from somewhere else?

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Its an auto update, and I am running avg... go figure lol

Initiated_311.25 : Novinced_314.12 : Apprenticed_321.05 : Age_20 : Mentor_Delmi N'jork

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Yeah to be honest, I don't have much faith in AVG but it's a preference thing really. I know it's not been able to read some files for me that I've known 100% weren't virus' but picked 'em up as trojans like this.

If you have doubts, contact Steam personally but otherwise google it, other people might tell you the same thing.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

I use AVG for anti-virus and Steam to load Jedi Academy. My game has never once since it's first install tried to update, as the game is too old to even have any updates. If it's trying to update there is something strange going on. Though if it's a 3rd party update you're trying to do, don't. Jedi Academy should already be as up to date as it needs to be when ran through Steam.

One thing you can do to try to bypass whatever silly thing it's trying to do is right click on Jedi Academy through the games library, hit properties, go to the 'Local Files' tab, and click 'Verfiy Integrity of Game Cache'. That should check your files and repair anything that might be preventing you form being able to play.

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Illrian Damaris
Lost One

Post by Illrian Damaris »

AVG has a strong tendency of claiming things are viruses when they aren't, simply because it isn't recognizing the file. Steams update is an official one, and they aren't in the business of including viruses.

Honestly I would change your Anti Virus to Avira or Comodo...but I'd pick Avira over Comodo.
| species_zabrak | age_55 | defender |
| initiated_280.17 | mentor_
aayla vigil |
| knighted_298.25 | padawan_
sawyer snow.rui vuusen |
Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Syrena it wasnt the game doing the update lol. It was the actual steam client itself!

But i fixed it, i think. I just turned off avg and downloaded the client update. Its working for now! Thanks for the input!

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Just add it to the exceptions list and then you leave it on.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Syrena Exan
Lost One

Post by Syrena Exan »

It's still strange that it gave you a red flag at all though. Steam has never set my AVG off. We should have the same definitions. O_o

Species: Falleen | Age: 116 | Mentor: Jared Quell | Padawans: Kaelen Sekura, Kantha Maitri, Salvong, Var Dalledos, Claude Varron

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8987

Just throwin' this out there...Seems relevant. The issue's come up before.

Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Okay, back to square one again. I am having yet another issue with the steam app trying to update itself before it lets me start it up.

This time its giving me this little white icon in the middle of my screen with a downloading scanning bar in the middle. It will do this for a while, then when it appears to be done, it restarts all over again. First it says 'extracting files...' and then it says 'Installing update...', and even 'Failed to clean up, continuing...' and it goes back and forth. I tried shutting avg off, I've tried rebooting, and I tried uninstalling the entire program, re-installing, rebooting, and re-opening it to the same thing happening, again and again and again. This is one of my two days off and I cant play now because its broken, again lol. Steam doesnt seem that reliable to me..

Esth Me'sku
Lost One

Post by Esth Me'sku »

Fixed it! Had to run it in safe mode to let the updates work. The update went through; for future people having the same issue.