Source Code

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Keebler

Source Code

Post by Keebler »

Now that Jedi Academy has been released under the GPL, will RPMod be released under the GPL as well?
Corean Alkorda

Re: Source Code

Post by Corean Alkorda »

As a long time advocate of FOSS, I'm sure that if Soh had wanted to release the source code for RPMod, it wouldn't have taken the release of the JK2/3 source code for him to do it.
Keebler

Post by Keebler »

I'm not a foss expert, but doesn't the GPL dictate that derivative works be released under the same license? And since RPMod would be a derivative work of JKA, would it not be legally required to be released under the GPL?
Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

That would be something you'd have to direct towards Soh, who I'm sure will be happy to answer when he's able to though I personally cannot imagine how there'd be substance to that when the source code was released to the public and this is an external mod, licensed and created by someone outside of Ravensoft and LucusArts. I can't see how their decision to relinquish their hold over the game should force others who've been able to adapt or build from it, to have to give up their rights.

I could be wrong though it just wouldn't make sense to me.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Roza Wheikn

Post by Roza Wheikn »

I think, even if Soh *were* required to release the source code, it wouldn't affect anything at this point since the mod is still technically in beta. Once a proper RC is available, a source code release would probably have to be looked at and decided upon based on licensing and everything, but until then I don't see a release unless Soh decides to.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Considering RPmod hasn't even released as a packaged mod, I wouldn't expect the source code any time soon. :P
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Let this answer your question:
Copyright wrote: Copyright Notice
JEDI Clan material – names, artwork, stories, web site, and other assets created specifically for JEDI – is the property of the JEDI Clan under a worldwide, limited release, attribution, non-commercial license and may not be redistributed or modified without the express permission of the copyright holder(s).

The JEDI logo is licensed separately under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License; more information is available in the Promoting JEDI page.

Personal User contributions for use with JEDI Services, including but not limited to stories, art and custom game assets, are made under a worldwide, royalty-free, limited release, non-exclusive, non-commercial license that allows JEDI Services to internally copy and redistribute such material across multiple platforms for the purpose of the Service. No modifications may be made without the express permission of the copyright owner, except as required for technical compatibility with JEDI Services. Additional or alternative licensing may apply for use outside the scope of JEDI Services, at the discretion of the copyright owner(s).

The Star Wars® Jedi Knight®: Jedi Academy modification “RPMod” is covered by the JKA Game Source License as made available in the game SDK; RPMod-specific parts remain the exclusive property of its creator, Fabien Crespel – all rights reserved. The JEDI Clan is granted an exclusive, limited license of usage of RPMod on its servers and under the supervision of the modification’s creator.

Other elements, brands and names – in particular, elements from the Star Wars® universe – are the property of their respective owners.
All characters portrayed in JEDI are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

For any question or to report violation of this copyright notice, please contact the JEDI Council.
Here's the full page

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion