Skin issues with RPmod

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Bavack Jor'ull

Skin issues with RPmod

Post by Bavack Jor'ull »

Well, I was making my skin, (which I did) and I noticed as I tested it on the main Temple server that I'm only capable of filling one slot in the character selection menu. Is this so that other people's skins will not clutter our menus? It only happens on Rpmod, not JA+ or base.

Maybe I'm wrong about it, I'm just saying I can't load my .pk3 with more than one model in the file without it just not showing up in my menu at all. Do I have to use codes in the cmd to find my other models? I made it to where I only have one model/skin to use currently with this .pk3 but I planned on updating it today so any help would be great.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Re: Skin issues with RPmod

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Most of the member body uses /model <name> to select models, not from icons in the menu.The name is the folder title in the .pk3 which contains the .skin files. For example mine is model arukh and then for variants /model arukh/blue which are found by additional .skin files.

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

Bavack Jor'ull wrote: I'm only capable of filling one slot in the character selection menu.
That shouldn't be the case.

Does your model use the Jedi Customization menu? Or is your model selected on the main character screen where you see Luke, Lando, Jan etc?

JKA does have a limit to the amount of skins it will display in both of these menus so you might find your model going missing if you are a skin hoarder.

Another thing to check is where you put your skin. You should not have to put your skins in the rpmod folder. If you have, try place your skin's PK3 back into the regular base folder.

If all else fails and you don't wish to delete skins from your collection, I would suggest simply using the console to do it. For Example:

Code: Select all

/model kyle
/model kyle/blue
/model kyle/red
I would help you further but your skin is uploaded to an odd site and the file is locked. I would suggest uploading your skin to Game Front. It's not bad!

Human/Zabrak | Jedi Knight | Padawan: Kieran Orion

Bavack Jor'ull

Post by Bavack Jor'ull »

Amoné Fayden wrote: Does your model use the Jedi Customization menu? Or is your model selected on the main character screen where you see Luke, Lando, Jan etc?

JKA does have a limit to the amount of skins it will display in both of these menus so you might find your model going missing if you are a skin hoarder.
It won't show in the main selection menu or customization menu. Also, I don't hoard skins, so that shouldn't be a problem. Haha. :wink:

As for the model codes Arukh, I suppose I could just do that instead, though it'd be really hard for me to get used to. Thanks for the help!
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

The other thing is it could be you don't have icons for your other skin variants.

No icon = No show in the menus

Bavack Jor'ull

Post by Bavack Jor'ull »

That was very helpful, thank you. I'm good at the texturing portion of skinning I just suck at compiling it into a skin correctly. You know what I mean? :lol:
Amoné Fayden
Lost One

Post by Amoné Fayden »

No problemo.

It's always good practice to learn your .skin files so that you can use the console to change model.
It saves on PK3 file size to not have to worry about icons after all. :)

Bavack Jor'ull

Post by Bavack Jor'ull »

Solved all my issues thanks to the wonderful Amone, Arukh and Shakk'aven! Y'all saved me from a lot of headaches in the future..

I also updated my skin link in my signature. This one isn't weird like the others! It actually works!
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Post by Alehk Thol »

Congratulations on getting your skin functional! Just from taking a quick look at your new URL, though... I know you're not presently obligated to follow the same guidelines for skin release as ::JEDI::'s members for the moment, but I would strongly advise against packaging it as a .rar file.
The Jedi Council wrote:
  • Always package your PK3 file into a ZIP file. No need to provide a separate download link for a "direct PK3" version, the ZIP version is enough. This is for compatibility reasons with all systems (Windows, Mac, Linux) and browsers (Internet Explorer particularly). Note that the ZIP file, contrary to the PK3 file, can include a date, age or rank.
This aside, there're still plenty of people who don't actually have programmes capable of opening a .rar file installed.
Bavack Jor'ull

Post by Bavack Jor'ull »

I apologize, for some reason it wouldn't really let me upload the pk3 itself. Maybe I'm going nuts! I'll try to update it YET AGAIN.... :lol:

EDIT: Link updated!