OOC Vs. RP

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Alehk Thol
Lost One

OOC Vs. RP

Post by Alehk Thol »

To avoid a general freak-out, I'd like to re-iterate that views and opinions expressed by fictional characters do not necessarily match those of the person behind them. Contrary to at least one opinion already, I'm not lashing out on anyone.

It's the busiest time of year for everyone. JEDI is inactive every September, I'd be a muppet to take it personally, as would Motoko. What happened was unfortunate, yes, but I took it as an opportunity to do something with my character. I'd appreciate a little more faith, people! I'm sorry if I happened to offend anyone last night, it was not my intention.
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Re: OOC Vs. RP

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

To be honest I was rather shocked when I saw that. But you, the person behind Alehk Thol, has to know when to draw the line. I'm sure it generated a lot of controversy.
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Post by Alehk Thol »

I'm sure if I'd left an OOC note beneath it, no one would've minded. At the end of the day, between work, college, university, time-zones, partners and everything else, sometimes people just aren't available. The original post of this thread was just my way of re-iterating that I understand that, and what I say IC is not to be taken in any fashion in OOC. But again, if anyone was flabbergasted, I do apologise.
Khátla Merie
Lost One

Post by Khátla Merie »

I'm incredibly sorry I couldn't make it personally, but I haven't been able to come up with a good reason for Khatla's absence, I didn't really have roleplay in my mind when I rushed out to my sisters c-section.

Also I think it's important not to pour IC over into OOC, mixing it up is a really bad idea, I've experienced in the past when people haven't been able to distinguish the two from each other. What's being said IC isn't necessarily the person on the other side of the screen's true feelings. So if Alehk had to draw a line from an out of character perspective, he probably would severely have limited his characters ability to express itself. :lol: I don't know, that seems a little silly. Either way I'm sorry I couldn't show up, I had been looking forward to it.
Alehk Thol
Lost One

Post by Alehk Thol »

Hey, it's no problem and I heard about where you were last night! It's simply a matter of having one or two fly off the handle as if there were some kind of personal attack going on. We've all got places to be.
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Sorry that happened to you, Alehk.

It's unfortunate that people forget to draw the firm line between OOC and IC interactions/attitudes/motivations.

We are in the natural slowdown of early fall and I just want to remind all of our members not to be discouraged by it. Remember that JEDI is all about your enjoyment, ultimately. Get on the server not because you feel it's an obligation, but because you have the time and can get someone to accompany you.

Remember that one day out of the week of good RP beats seven days of mediocre RP.
Alehk Thol wrote:I'm sure if I'd left an OOC note beneath it, no one would've minded.
I'm not a fan of people having to apologize for their character's actions or speech OOCly. I mean... I've done it myself because I sometimes feel bad about my character shouting at another or something so I'll send them a reassuring message in a PM but even that seems babying.

We're all pretty solid RPers here. After all, remember what we had to accomplish to even get into this group. And Alehk, you're a veteran of what... 6+ years? Yeah, I trust you as we should I expect each other to respect the two realms of OOC and IC and, more importantly, their borders.

Sooo, in conclusion people, don't stress over the perceived lack of activity and for Force sake don't ragequit the clan like one or two people do every time this year. That happens because they can't take the obligation of "having to make the server active." That's not your job, your job is to have fun telling a convincing story. And you can do that whenever it's convenient for you to do.
Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

It was IC, I'm keeping it IC. Hell, can make for some character progressing roleplay for Arukh and Alekh. :-)

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|