Disney's EU

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sared Kilvan
Lost One
Location: Pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain.

Disney's EU

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Khátla Merie
Lost One

Re: Disney's EU

Post by Khátla Merie »

You're dead to me Disney.
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

The spring-cleaning of Star Wars canon is LONG over-due. The tier system when it comes to Star Wars canon has always been absurd and has only served to confuse the 'poop' out of everyone.
I just hope they're careful with what they actually choose to remove. The EU is full of gems (the Thrawn Trilogy for one) and full of garbage (Force Unleashed anyone?) and i hope their choices don't turn out to be simply over what they feel can bring in the most money in the future. Although with Disney we can never be too sure..
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Honestly, who cares what a huge corporation defines as "canon" or not? I've always rolled with whatever was accepted by the group I was telling a story to/with.

What makes our characters any less "canon" than stuff that Disney plans to pump out? Doesn't matter to me... I've cared a lot more for the personalities that members of the JEDI community have come up with over LucasArts etc.

Ultimately, there's little reason to let it affect you too badly. 8)
Virtuo Alegan
Lost One

Post by Virtuo Alegan »

Most of the EU stuff post-return of the Jedi wasn't exactly up to par with the rest of established canon, with a few notable exceptions (Jedi Knight series, Thrawn, etc).

Really I'd only get mad if Disney put down the KOTOR era which, unless they made a KOTOR movie (which would be awesome if done right), is unlikely. But I don't think Disney will be going as far as 300+ ABY therefore making our rp meaningless. :cry:
Virtuo Alegan | Homeworld: Corellia | Species: Epicanthix | Age: 39 | Next Birthday: 343.10 | Rank: Masterless Padawan | Initiated: 314.09 | Noviced: 317.08| Mentors: Kiwron Tirladdik/Rash Loist/Delmi N'jork | Apprenticed: 317.13 | Pilot License: PL-1
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

So I suppose the Holiday Special will no longer be canon. My heart breaks.

I think this can be a good thing. They'll have to be careful what they cut out however.... If the Vong just up and vanished, I don't think I'd mind.
Azrael
Lost One

Post by Azrael »

Virtuo Alegan wrote: Really I'd only get mad if Disney put down the KOTOR era which, unless they made a KOTOR movie (which would be awesome if done right)......
Slap self.
|Species: Chiss | Homeworld: Coruscant | Mentors: Aeon Xarbon, Shimi Zaki | Padawans: Imil Ucindus, Kiwron Tirladdik, Munro Olar, Shakk'aven |Position:Jedi Master - Historian/Librarian
Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Stars, Worn

I'll come back and post my thoughts after I get off work. Good to see the discussion rolling!

Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

They're going to have to tread carefully. There are things I like about the EU, but on the other hand there's stuff in there that is utterly useless and ridiculous. I wouldn't mind seeing some it gone.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Oberon
Lost One

Post by Oberon »

Virtuo Alegan wrote:But I don't think Disney will be going as far as 300+ ABY therefore making our rp meaningless. :cry:
But that's the point... why on earth would we hang up the cloak if Disney said, "You know what? The Jedi Order didn't exist after about 100 ABY and that's final."
Arukh Bakh'tor
Lost One

Post by Arukh Bakh'tor »

Khátla Merie wrote:You're dead to me Disney.

|name_arukh.bakh'tor|age_30|rank_padawan|mentor_tergos.zemnos|

Munro Olar
Lost One

Post by Munro Olar »

Virtuo Alegan wrote:Most of the EU stuff post-return of the Jedi wasn't exactly up to par with the rest of established canon, with a few notable exceptions (Jedi Knight series, Thrawn, etc).

Really I'd only get mad if Disney put down the KOTOR era which, unless they made a KOTOR movie (which would be awesome if done right), is unlikely. But I don't think Disney will be going as far as 300+ ABY therefore making our rp meaningless. :cry:
As far as I know, JEDI started directly after the Legacy comics, having read the history section on the holonet, so it's likely the Order would still be around since it recovered from the purge. There's also more comics/arcs being made for post-legacy to follow up those events :D

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Delmi wrote:They're going to have to tread carefully. There are things I like about the EU, but on the other hand there's stuff in there that is utterly useless and ridiculous. I wouldn't mind seeing some it gone.
That's just it though, I don't think they're going to be particularly considerate as to who's toes they step on when it comes to cutting out the fat.

There are just as many Mary Sue stories written within the EU that are as self-serving as they are fluff. Anderson, Stackpole, and many other contributing authors have admitted to using their own tabletop campaigns and characters as star characters in their own works.

Zhan's, or perhaps some of Anderson's earlier works that were grounded upon the minimal amount of content available (I.E., the original trilogy) had enough sense to make as few assumptions and suppositions about the internal logic of the SW universe that the suspension of disbelief from the movies would be carried over into their works with ease. Past the first generation or two of books/comics however, I believe that this got a little shaky as countless authors then used previous works (instead of the movies) to continue to tell stories and make more extrapolations about this fantasy world. So on and so forth, this continued until you've created a successive and extensive chain of storylines and events that become difficult to take in as a collective whole simply because of scope.

Bioware was given a great deal of creative license when they delved into the Old Republic era, being given the freedom to tell stories from a somewhat fresh start without having to worry about a great deal of pre-existing canon. What we're seeing now is the House of Mouse recognizing this jumbled mess of long-running fan contributions (G-sanctioned or no), and taking things back to basics. Yes, I believe that J.J. Abrams can make a better Star Wars movie than George Lucas' second attempt at selling toys.

Dark Empire, The Crystal Star, and hell, even the Young Jedi Knights books will always remain some of my favorite stories told within the Star Wars universe, but I am not so tied up emotionally that I would want to hold the next generation of Star Wars storytellers to such a rigid pre-set canon. Those stories are good stories to be told in their own right, but I believe an excessive creation of rules as to how those stories can be told is unhealthy and intellectually stifling.

Sared Kilvan
Lost One

Post by Sared Kilvan »

Oberon wrote:I've cared a lot more for the personalities that members of the JEDI community have come up with over LucasArts etc.

Ultimately, there's little reason to let it affect you too badly. 8)
Listen the f**k up kids, ^this guy^ know's what's up. 8)

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Once we are all done patting each other on the back.

I think it was always going to come to this with the new movies coming about and the fact that it's going to come down to money making (standalone movies?).

However, JEDI's been making it's own history and will continue to do so. But, let's wait and see what they do first because right now it's just speculation of what's going to be removed or kept.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol