NVIDIA OpenGL Time-Out

Please post here to get help with RPMod (only!)
Aidan Skyward
Lost One

NVIDIA OpenGL Time-Out

Post by Aidan Skyward »

Running Windows 8.1. I tried connecting to the server today and was, instead, greeted with a CTD and this message:

Apparently they changed how the Windows Time-Out works in Windows 8, and the registry fix NVidia recommends is no longer viable (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\TdrDelay no longer exists). I verified my install through Steam twice, the first time it had to reinstall a couple of files, but the second time it was clean. Any suggestions for fixing this? I can submit a dxdiag if requested.

Link to the NVidia page: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3007

EDIT: After a couple more tries connecting I didn't CTD. I think I'd still like some help with this, though, just in case it's a recurring problem.

EDIT2: Apparently it's not just when I'm connecting and the map's loading, I just crashed out of nowhere not even doing anything graphics-intensive. Same message.
Birthday: 315.10|Species: Echani|Homeworld: N/A
Keth Flynn
Lost One

Re: NVIDIA OpenGL Time-Out

Post by Keth Flynn »

Maybe that link will help you

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/ ... mit-fixed/

Are there some programs that are running in the background by the way ? Like browsers for example.
Last edited by Keth Flynn on Sat May 24, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name:Keth Flynn|Birthdate:315.18 ABY|Mentor:Dev Kai|Knighted:346.29|

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

If you've updated from Windows 8 to 8.1 recently.. well, sometimes.. Drivers gets damaged, as mine Bluetooth and Mic.
So, try that one of Flynn or search in a backup your drivers.

Aidan Skyward
Lost One

Post by Aidan Skyward »

One of the recommendations was to grab EVGA's Precision tool. This was a mistake. Unfortunately, something in it didn't like my hardware and I ended up in a kernel panic. So if any of you guys happen to ever use this tool, be super careful with it.

Bright side, though, the fix to it was to do a full clean install of my graphics drivers, which seems to have solved my original problem.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Keth Flynn
Lost One

Post by Keth Flynn »

No problem, good job!
Name:Keth Flynn|Birthdate:315.18 ABY|Mentor:Dev Kai|Knighted:346.29|

Aidan Skyward
Lost One

Post by Aidan Skyward »

UPDATE:
If you guys are using new graphics cards (c. 2012+) I highly recommend putting opengl32.dll from this into your GameData folder. It's a wrapper that really dramatically improves performance and visual quality for new GPUs, especially nVidia cards. I'm running flawlessly now with 64x SLI-CSAA antialiasing (which, I admit, is way overkill, but it's fun to say :P) and in testing haven't experienced a crash, whereas yesterday I was still crashing in performance testing single-player. I dunno if any of you are using this, but it's seriously worth the tiny download.

EDIT: Bonus, it also enables actually minimizing the game on alt-tab.
EDIT2: Since it's a wrapper, JKA will freak out on it and reset all of your graphics and audio settings to the lowest possible the first time you run it, so you'll have to set those back up to where you want them.
Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

Aidan Skyward wrote:UPDATE:
If you guys are using new graphics cards (c. 2012+) I highly recommend putting opengl32.dll from this into your GameData folder. It's a wrapper that really dramatically improves performance and visual quality for new GPUs, especially nVidia cards. I'm running flawlessly now with 64x SLI-CSAA antialiasing (which, I admit, is way overkill, but it's fun to say :P) and in testing haven't experienced a crash, whereas yesterday I was still crashing in performance testing single-player. I dunno if any of you are using this, but it's seriously worth the tiny download.

EDIT: Bonus, it also enables actually minimizing the game on alt-tab.
EDIT2: Since it's a wrapper, JKA will freak out on it and reset all of your graphics and audio settings to the lowest possible the first time you run it, so you'll have to set those back up to where you want them.

Does this work on windows 8? I'm curious.
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Aidan Skyward
Lost One

Post by Aidan Skyward »

I'm running 8.1 and it works great. If you haven't patched up yet, you should. It makes Win8 so much better.

It'll only make a marked improvement on your experience, though, if you have a GPU that doesn't natively support versions of OpenGL pre-2.1. Even more improvement if it's an nVidia card because nVidia has awful OpenGL support.
Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

Wow sounds great i'm going to give it a try, and let you know how that comes out.
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|