Word Emphasis in RP

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Sai Akiada
Lost One

Re: Word Emphasis in RP

Post by Sai Akiada »

I use -this- often to emphasize words but in the end it really doesn't matter, to me at least. I'll know what you mean in either case :)
I use all of those, but for different things:
  • -word-: I'll use to literally emphasize something.
  • *word*: As JEDI tips says, this is used to show that it's a verbalised sound: *Hm* *Mm* *Oh* *Ah*, etc.
  • WORD: I'd use for anger or yelling (over winds, engines, battle sounds, etc)
(y)

| Age_50's | Race_Human | Padawan_Zeak Dystiny, Des Anaro, Zuri Lyn |

Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

I try to only use caps when I'm SHOUTING! Which sometimes can be done with a single word, like if I'm teaching a class and I want A LOT of emphasis on one word. Ex: Mad Eye Moody, "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"
Delmi N'jork
Jedi Master

Post by Delmi N'jork »

It pretty much comes down to that how we would all in theory be able to guess what people were saying and/or meant, it'd just be nice to have one system that everyone would follow. It's good to have people on the same page.
|Age_187|Height_7'3|Weight_427lb|Race_Nelvaan|Mentor_Maloush Paroveid|Padawans_Aurien Uriah_Amoné Fayden_Tergos Zemnos_Esth Me'sku_Virtuo Alegan_Tweek Etimau_Dithaal_Sirius Invictus_Aqua Sol_Ina'eo'nekri
Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

I'd feel like a scrub if I used CAPITALIZATION TO EMPHASIZE WHAT I MEAN!
But in some cases, there's just no other option. Of course, using -this- to emphasize your words in a certain way is almost 100% effective. For shouting, I don't see many other options than putting an exclamation point at the end of a sentence, but that's just boring and can sometimes convey the wrong attitude or emphasis! It would be hard to give an example, but perhaps you'll get to see me use it in character at some point, and it'll be clear then.
Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

-this- is soms grade A topic revival. If something seems unclear by text alone, you can always ::action:: it. ;)
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Zander-Bo Umra wrote:-this- is soms grade A topic revival. If something seems unclear by text alone, you can always ::action:: it. ;)
I honestly have tried hard to stop capsing and use '-<word>-' to emphasis to the point it became something I did when RP'in on other games followed by a !.

Emphasis is important sometimes but we all might have a moment where we spam the caps lock when it isn't necessary. ;)
I sometimes ::Raises his voice::, ::His tone changes as he speaks.:: just to add a bit more to it.

Anyway I'll leave this topic to die again now :)
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<