((Perma-Kill system.))

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

((Perma-Kill system.))

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

At Zanders suggestion I'm moving the discussion on the topic of killing off characters to this topic.
Dev Kai wrote:This is my RP death guide break down.

At the temple, wounds obviously need to be rp'd if a player feels like slipping on a banana peel and breaking his leg it's what they want to do.

Regarding missions, many (many) years ago, Corinth and I worked out a concrete system for death so here it is.

One knockdown - (meaning you go dark for ten seconds) Scratches, bruises, possible torn clothing or broken items in your inventory. Light to light /medium damages.

Two knockdowns - complied with the pain from the first knock down, is made up of all the injuries talked about in one but, adds lacerations and breaks. A normal person would need a hospital at this point.

Third knockdown. - Critical condition, you're probably going to die without some magic use of force or a friend saving you and getting you to a hospital. As it takes a minute or so to bleed out fully, there is a 1 - 2 minute grace period where you can have someone save you. Should this fail to happen in a two minute span, your character is dead.

Any one who wishes can use the system I use, it's how I've always done it my entire time in Jedi.
A number of RP communities used a similar system for death, though some were harsh in that 3 defeats and you're dead, no chance to save you and a few people were notorious so when it came to missions if someone hated another char they would go out of their way to make life extremely difficult for the person.

Only once have I lost a char to Perma-kill and that was voluntary on the second death as I was dropping out the community for good, that same character I'd had resign around the time I started with Skrassk so when I went back all those 'years' (months irl) later he was getting on in his years as the community had done a time jump for plot purposes, one of the other reasons one might choose to kill themselves off is for the sake of starting with a new char, be it from scratch or a Knight rerolling as another Knight.

It's a rather taboo thing in my opinion as no-one really wants to lose a character they have worked so hard on, for some it can be difficult starting over no matter the age/species/rank/personality/gender/etc of the replacement, the originals hold close to our hearts, I generally back off at number 2 especially if the opponent is on 0 or 1 as the chances of actually doing all 3 for them are slim unless you somehow become god.

A number of communities used a rank = count system where an initiate dies the moment they are killed, no questions asked, a padawan has two chances, a knight 3 a master 4, with no thought of the characters skills/resilience or even the feelings of the player, it's a cruel, harsh and crazy world in the star wars galaxy from plagues to lightsabers through your chest, I once encountered a Knight Kel'dor who removed his mask in the middle of a council meeting just to end it.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Re: ((Perma-Kill system.))

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

In my experience the general idea is that ending characters is largely planned. Sure your character might get beaten up and captured, but unless there has been an agreement beforehand on the thought of the character's death there should not be a pre-set system of death.

I recall an instance where a character had an unplanned critical moment in which another character pulled the former back towards a badly wounded but stable condition.
If no-one had been properly equipped either physically or Force-wise, the character realistically would've perished, but the player could have chosen to drag it out, just making the entire thing an uncomfortable mess more or less ;P

The case of Nivek Tholmai was (correct me if I am wrong) a pre-determined outcome involving the character's death. It can be just as shocking to the other populace, but the acceptance of the player in such a case should be pivotal in ANY situation, so that there are no possible grievances afterwards.

Before your character dies, you as the player must make peace with it in a proper way before it occurs.

Such is my opinion anyway ;)
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Zander-Bo Umra wrote:The case of Nivek Tholmai was (correct me if I am wrong) a pre-determined outcome involving the character's death. It can be just as shocking to the other populace, but the acceptance of the player in such a case should be pivotal in ANY situation, so that there are no possible grievances afterwards.
Maybe Alehk can shed some insight on the topic of Nivek for us 'newbs' that never witnessed the heroic end against the Mandalorians :).
I recalled B-52 also had a moment of heroism yes?
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Aayla Vigil
Lost One

Post by Aayla Vigil »

::JEDI::'s members' death have always required prior consent of the player whose character is going to die, and also permission from the Council (though the first being more relevant, of course).

This is because JEDI is mainly focused on the growth of 1 character, rather than a rapid turnover of characters, as it happens in other roleplay games and communities.

Generally, the worst case scenario a character can go through, without prior plain consent for death, is suffering deathly wounds from which he/she can recover.

Nivek's death was agreed before the RP took place, and so was Kaelen's, for whoever remembers it.

You can't choose what is right

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Aayla Vigil wrote:::JEDI::'s members' death have always required prior consent of the player whose character is going to die, and also permission from the Council (though the first being more relevant, of course).

This is because JEDI is mainly focused on the growth of 1 character, rather than a rapid turnover of characters, as it happens in other roleplay games and communities.

Generally, the worst case scenario a character can go through, without prior plain consent for death, is suffering deathly wounds from which he/she can recover.

Nivek's death was agreed before the RP took place, and so was Kaelen's, for whoever remembers it.
Of course it's right to assume that being lazy during a mission and not putting in effort because you can't die without planning and consent isn't the way to behave.

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Jerex Sol
Lost One

Post by Jerex Sol »

I'm always open to the idea of my character dying. I somewhat follow the same system as Dev and Corinth, only I added another stage to it. 4th down is the limit for me. If I fall that many times during a mission, either deathly injury or death itself is both likely and probably what I deserve. It's what keeps the game interesting for me.
Species: Arkanian| Born: 302.23| Languages: Arkanian, Basic| Initiated: 316.17| Noviced: 320.25 | Knighted: 340.20 | Mastered: 372.03
Simus Cnydaria
Lost One

Post by Simus Cnydaria »

Honestly I normally RP a serious injury after 1 hit because let's face it, that's realistic. That's the way my Master always told me to play it at least. I've only had one situation where something stupid I did in a mission put me in a position to be executed. I asked for Council permission to let me be killed if the rescue mission got botched but it was denied :-D
Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

I'm all for character death but in no way do I want a system where it HAS to happen after a list ofrrequirements. Keep it how it is, prior consent and good rp.

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Jerex Sol wrote:I'm always open to the idea of my character dying. I somewhat follow the same system as Dev and Corinth, only I added another stage to it. 4th down is the limit for me. If I fall that many times during a mission, either deathly injury or death itself is both likely and probably what I deserve. It's what keeps the game interesting for me.
/rpgive all weapon thermals

/rpgive all ammo 999

Just kidding, but death of a Character is always the players choice though let's not forget that the Council plays a part in the process as well. Sound reasoning and follow ups need to be provided, it's not exactly a procedure we want to go through frequently just because.

It's not something I wish to see in JEDI unlike other communities which have it.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Sebastin Creed
Lost One

Post by Sebastin Creed »

Simus Cnydaria wrote:Honestly I normally RP a serious injury after 1 hit because let's face it, that's realistic. That's the way my Master always told me to play it at least. I've only had one situation where something stupid I did in a mission put me in a position to be executed. I asked for Council permission to let me be killed if the rescue mission got botched but it was denied :-D
I've been in the same position (though I didn't ask to be killed), but I was caught and had to be rescued on that same mission (I think it was on Bastion when it was bombed), though I was later informed that during the mission, someone controlling one of those Imperial Walkers was a little trigger happy.

We just need to remember as a community, we are all about the role play, that we should be encouraged to role play both failures and successes without the fear other people may try to force our hands because they deem it necessary.

Issues within or beyond that, is something the Council can deal with.

|Padawan(s): Olim Adasca|Rita Sandria| Kantha Maitri|Shaok Panek|Kajuun Mujai|Jago Mirax|Jerex Sol

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Aayla Vigil wrote:::JEDI::'s members' death have always required prior consent of the player whose character is going to die, and also permission from the Council (though the first being more relevant, of course).

Represent my thoughts on the matter perfectly.

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.