Just a question

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Niko Inaru
Lost One

Just a question

Post by Niko Inaru »

Alright this question is burning within my soul!

Do you learn the forms to get the say so to add points to things like saber attack 2?

Do you Learn how to swing like that first to get saber attack two?

Or are you always allowed to just add points to things like saber attack?

Name: Niko Inaru | Birthdate: 323.3 ABY | Age: 35 | Homeworld: Eshan | Initiated: 333.28 ABY | Noviced: 338.14 ABY

Elensa Jari
Lost One

Re: Just a question

Post by Elensa Jari »

From what I can tell, adding points to Saber Offense requires you to learn that particular style - thus, you need lessons in the stance, rather than a particular Form.

The idea of the Forms isn't technique - it's mindset and methodology. A Djem-So user will always be on the offensive, trying to overwhelm their opponent, while a Soresu user will be more circumspect, picking their moments more carefully, and so on. Thus, the 'Forms' are essentially just a way of learning different approaches to combat, and these do not affect whether you can use Fast, Medium or Heavy stances - you can use any of the three within the umbrella of each particular Form.

You can technically put your XP wherever you want, but ideally you'll have lessons and training in whatever you devote yours too - if you don't, you're frankly just bad at RPing, and that will generate concern from the rest of the membership. It's also likely to reflect badly on chances for further advancement, because if you can't RP your character's development effectively, you're unlikely to do the same for any future Padawans you might take on, and thus might not be trusted to do so! Bad RP practice has no excuse, to be completely blunt!

My advice would be to request a few lessons with a Master in learning Medium/Heavy stance, and apply the XP when they tell you to, so that you're justified both ICly and OOCly in doing so. After that, the world is your oyster, as the expression goes. Good luck with it!
Species: Hapan | Age: 9 | Initiated: 337.16 ABY | Mentor: Maia Rimora
Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

The idea was more around should I already have medium before I start taking classes on things like Makashi, but just not use it till I actually begin that training.

Name: Niko Inaru | Birthdate: 323.3 ABY | Age: 35 | Homeworld: Eshan | Initiated: 333.28 ABY | Noviced: 338.14 ABY

Elensa Jari
Lost One

Post by Elensa Jari »

You don't need to, but it's preferable in most instances, purely because the swings are slower and more controlled than is true with Fast stance. It is not, however, a prerequisite.
Species: Hapan | Age: 9 | Initiated: 337.16 ABY | Mentor: Maia Rimora
Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

Oh... so then, I guess I know what I'll do if I'm allowed to do it once more.

Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Niko Inaru wrote:Oh... so then, I guess I know what I'll do if I'm allowed to do it once more.
Before unlocking any new stance you should seek a lesson and approval regardless, but ultimately points and ability have no impact on if your char is ready to progress, just something to keep in mind as its the character themselves that truely matter, not their abilities in the end, all of it is effectively moot is your char doesnt have the right mind and discipline.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

I know, But I really wanted to know if it was like...somethings were restricted upon rank even if that person has met the requirements and had been around for a long time. As of now I just wanted Niko to learn a bit more of saber arts, which he has been doing as well as constant practice in that and his other abilities.(If he's really not allowed to learn Makashi or anything like that however because of his rank, please tell me now so I can save the points up till later)

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

From what I can understand, you're wanting to buy "medium stance" so that you can learn makashi? Which if that is the case I'll return you to what Elensa stated earlier. Secondly, if in doubt always seek a lesson first. It is rare that a knight would turn down learning a stance as it is just that, a different position to attack and defend differently.

Short version. Medium stance does not equal learning makashi. They are two very different things. Always seek out a lesson first.

Niko Inaru
Lost One

Post by Niko Inaru »

Thanks man, that was bugging me for a while.

Nico Keztor
Lost One

Post by Nico Keztor »

Arven Silaan wrote: Short version. Medium stance does not equal learning makashi. They are two very different things. Always seek out a lesson first.
ICly talking you can apply a form to any style, but not all of them fit.
Example: Ataru fits Fast/Medium.

Others call the styles as Advanced Shii-Cho but doesn't mean they just fit Shii-Cho.

So, as others confirmed.. Styles and Forms are different things, just wanted to mention a few things.

Zander-Bo Umra
Lost One

Post by Zander-Bo Umra »

Way I see it, certain Forms can be reflected on your roleplay and sometimes you might be able to try incorporate it in your sparring style. I know for a fact that Delmi puts plenty thought into it all and knows a lot of stuff, so I'd ask him OOCly for advice or you could request a lesson. It's always pretty immersive and copying what you're being shown can help you a truckload with your RP, regardless if you have a second form or not ;)
| Species: Human | Homeworld: Coruscant | Born: 318.16 | Initiated: 324.27 | Apprenticed: 326.13, 329.08 | Knighted: 338.17 | Mentors: K. Orion, A. Silaan

"The Code is not a script, it's a guide." - Zander-Bo Umra, 329.30 ABY

"May my body guide my blade, my mind harness its core, the Force guide my feet." - Zander-Bo Umra, 331.29

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

Elensa Jari wrote:'Forms' are essentially just a way of learning different approaches to combat, and these do not affect whether you can use Fast, Medium or Heavy stances - you can use any of the three within the umbrella of each particular Form.

Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

Arven Silaan wrote:
Elensa Jari wrote:'Forms' are essentially just a way of learning different approaches to combat, and these do not affect whether you can use Fast, Medium or Heavy stances - you can use any of the three within the umbrella of each particular Form.

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight