Modder Releases Oculus Support For JKA

Discussions which are Out of Character.
Lesh Morek

Modder Releases Oculus Support For JKA

Post by Lesh Morek »

Given how role-playing is one of the most immersive activities you can partake in a game like JKA i would assume that oculus support would be a must have.

The downside to the oculus is that you would lose the novelty of seeing your playermodel all the time which would make it harder to express the right emotion of your in-game character through precise controls.

So assuming you had a oculus, would you use a oculus as a primary driver over a monitor to increase the immersion of JEDI roleplay?

Source: https://github.com/xLAva/JediAcademyLinux/releases
Video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLtrXnKGQVc
Zuri Lyn
Lost One

Re: Modder Releases Oculus Support For JKA

Post by Zuri Lyn »

Eh, I feel there's an interesting discussion to be had there, but first of all I must say I'm really impressed by the work that guy did, making it possible to play Jka with an oculus. I'm kind of amazed at the dedication and work that goes into modding and the time required to do this, so props to him.

Otherwise, back to the question : 'assuming you had a oculus, would you use a oculus as a primary driver over a monitor to increase the immersion of JEDI roleplay?'

The first thing is that, as gamers most of us have been playing Jka a long time, and even if we haven't, are very used to traditional third person view. Being as a jedi's training does involve physical activity and spars, I'm not sure how easy it would be to adapt to sparring with an oculus rift. Still, when I imagine the sensation of turning your head and the game actually following your opponent's movements, it feels like it would be amazing. I actually am guilty of physically tilting my head upwards when I move my mouse to have my character look up, so I should definitely *try* a oculus one day.

Otherwise, I also wonder as to how practical the oculus would be when typing and using console commands. In the video demonstration, the hud is reduced and it seems complex to have a console overlay smoothly. Again, it's hard to say without testing it (especially without having knowledge of it even on other games).

To conclude, I'll just say props again to the guy that modded that, it just feels so cool imagining *being* in the star wars universe.
Isane Fenris
Lost One

Post by Isane Fenris »

If I had oculus I'd definitely try it a few times. The prospect of being IN the SW universe. I wouldn't use it in spars, though... Lol

Image|age_52|height_1.65|species_dathomirian|mentor_motoko.isawa/aslyn.denethorn/simus.cnydaria|padawan_trin.oniron/vania.starr|

Arven Silaan
Lost One

Post by Arven Silaan »

As an Australian? I can't see it being viable, lag lag lag lag lag. Would make me throw up.

Silas Vir'n
Lost One

Post by Silas Vir'n »

If JKA gets a new engine then I'm all for it. Putting Oculus Rift on JKA is like giving the 1920's Kanye West.

name_silas.vir'n|age_47|height_1.93m|rank_knight

Kieran Orion
Lost One

Post by Kieran Orion »

Silas Vir'n wrote:If JKA gets a new engine then I'm all for it. Putting Oculus Rift on JKA is like giving the 1920's Kanye West.
Oh god, can we please give him away to another time....Please!?

Homeworld: Iridonia | Languages: Basic, Ul'Zabrak | Mentor: Amone Fayden | Jedi Knight | Circle of Artisans.

Wen-Ordo
Lost One

Post by Wen-Ordo »

Silas Vir'n wrote:If JKA gets a new engine then I'm all for it. Putting Oculus Rift on JKA is like giving the 1920's Kanye West.
I love it lol :lol:
|Full name:Wen-Ordo | Age: 88 | Initiated: 327.21 ABY|Noviced: 329.03 ABY |
| Apprenticed: 329.04 ABY | Knighted: 340.20 ABY |Mentor: Amalia Feyn|
|Padawans: Voh Phaar, Krask Kabal,Dariun Antane, Aren Kelpor |
| Species: Vurk| Homeworld: Sembla/Tatooine|
Evanin Dawnstar
Lost One

Post by Evanin Dawnstar »

Personally it's bad enough having to wearing my glasses all day just to see stuff, I'd rather not strap something that costs something like £500+ JUST to play a game, I'll stick to my glasses + computer screen TYVM.
| Evanin J. Dawnstar | Dantooine | Forty-Seven |
| Mentors: Bo Iiln/Shaok Panek |
"As one grows older, they realize the futility in trying to avoid responsibility as a child." Image

>> Updated Skin Link <<

Mirkal
Jedi Master

Post by Mirkal »

Kieran Orion wrote:
Oh god, can we please give him away to another time....Please!?
I don't want him at all. Why should we curse another time period? But I digress.

I would definitely like to try this someday. I don't have an Oculus just yet but I'll definitely give this a shot and give some feedback on what it's like. I think it could be really awesome especially when you're in first person, but it may reduce the wider fov we're all so used to when we spar. But for the cause of more immersion, I THINK I'll let it slide, I'm pretty bad at sparring anyway. I really like the leaning around corners aspect, and those jitters Zach gets when he's high up. First things first though, I've got a lot of other things in line before I'm able to buy an Oculus.
With his love's last breath, she too exhaled a tale:
A new sun rises from the sea to flood the land in light...
Raising the mother's shining soul as blessing, these spirits light the dark to cull

Many times for eons yet to pass, the day will fade and night again will fall
But when it's darkest and again we thrash within its grip
Again the sun will rise
those spirits come to save us all
Motoko
Lost One

Post by Motoko »

Only if I want to puke.
Amalia Feyn
Lost One

Post by Amalia Feyn »

I wont diss it till I try it, and whether I try it will be a case of affordability, I would like to give it a go though.

I've been intrigued by the Oculus for sometime, it could potentially be very good or very disappointing for JKA.
Galen Sol
Lost One

Post by Galen Sol »

To be honest, the idea of Oculus for JKA sounds odd to me, sounds like it would be a very disorienting and strange experience with aiming and all, unless the individual movement of the head didn't move the aiming reticle. I mean, sounds fun, just odd.
I think at the end of the day, I'd most likely just go back to the monitor, but then I've never tried it, so what can I say?
Gryden_Bamne

Post by Gryden_Bamne »

I just tried this out, and the implementation is STELLAR, absolutley perfect for what it's trying to do. All of the cutscenes place you in a great position where you can look around and move your head in 3D space while the actions are going on, it's very pleasant. As for control, it gets a bit disorienting if you play sitting down, but i usually play standing up with a wireless controller, that way, my head is always in sync with where the character is looking and i don't have to rely on two input methods. I'd say the next step is to create independant looking and aiming, maybe even some Razer Hydra or lighthouse controller support in the future?